Why SD slot in new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glhiii, Jun 19, 2009.

1. glhiii macrumors regular

For $25 you can get the Belkin Multimedia Reader for an express card slot that reads SD, MMC, RSMMC, MMCmobile(w/adapter), MMCplus(w/adapter), MS, MS PRO, and xD(M and H type). I have one and it is blindingly fast. So if you purchase the new 15" MBP, you give up something that may be extremely useful (the express card slot) for something that is not (an SD slot that won't even read memory sticks). I don't think the Belkin reader will boot, but then if you need to boot from something small, you can always put the OS on a jump drive. It seems to me that Apple is saving money by replacing a feature that is extremely versatile (since you can use the express card slot for many things other than SD cards) with one that is not.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They put in a card reader that the vast majority of digital camera users can use. Thats why.

3. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Everybody uses sd , not alot of people uses the express slot, if you want the express slot just get the 17 in or the last gen

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I get why they added the SD slot since there are a majority of users who use them in their lives but it's a little awkward to add just an SD slot. Why not an X-in-1 card reader? I know there ExpressCard's that do this so I would imagine that they would be able to integrate one with removal of the ExpressCard slot. I'm sure people will agree that they threw one in there because many critics were on Apple when the MacBook (Pro) lines didn't have one when it's competitors have been using it for years.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yup...

ExpressCard was so versatile that %1 percent of Apple notebook owners used it.

Apple probably thought

"we could put CF cards in for the Pro Photogs but they already have their fast card readers"

"If we put in SDHC we cover a vast consumer market"

I'm just glad they tossed us a bone and make the cards bootable.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I haven't seen a teardown of the newest 15", but I'm going to say they dropped the ExpressCard/34 for SDHC/XC for space concerns regarding the new battery.

8. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

That's what I was thinking as well.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Watch the keynote.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Too bad the thing is going through USB.

11. ///M5 macrumors 6502

cough.. fanboys.. cough

I'm surprised you guys are defending the replacement of the ExpressCard with an SD slot.

Let me ask you this, had the SD slot and ExpressCard been optional, which one would you go for? :rolleyes:

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I really dislike the SD slot. You can put a few things in there, but nothing else. It is a "unitasker." An ExpressCard slot however, give you a zillion options to choose from.

13. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

SD card slot. I've never found a use for the ExpressCard/34 slot.

In fact, to show you how little that slot was used (or perhaps, how stupid my housemate is) my housemate only just realised that her MBP had an ExpressCard/34 slot.

For me, it's a USB cable I don't have to carry anymore.

14. ///M5 macrumors 6502

Exactly.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It doesn't matter I have little need for either. With ExpressCard I have to deal with 3rd party company and their drivers which are often shoddy.

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

You could always get a card reader.. the ExpressCard Slot can be an SD Card Slot AND MORE. It's as simple as that... I don't know why you would choose an SD Card Slot over an ExpressCard Slot if you had a choice.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not every camera uses SD, many of the Dslrs don't, in fact my D70 uses a CF card.

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Consumer cameras that is! ;)

KEYWORD: Consumer

Your camera is more in line with Professional Cameras.

If I owned one of the *new* MBP, I'd seal off that slot, knowing that as long as I owned it, it would NEVER be used !!!!!!

19. cube macrumors G5

20. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I personally think it's part of a larger plan for apple. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them using it in some unique ways over the next year. Maybe software released on SD cards, replacing the optical drive.

21. 7seven7 macrumors newbie

What Apple should have done is left the ExpressCard slot, and just made an Apple-brand SD reader that fits inside seamlessly, they could even charge an arm and a leg for it.

22. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I have an SD card reader (in my ExpressCard slot) that was bundled with a Sony Vaio computer (the card reader is also Sony-branded). I didn't have to deal with any drivers, I just pop it in and it works seamlessly.

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I don't know anyone with a digital camera that uses SD cards.

They either use Compact Flash, or in some cases Sony Memory Stick Cards.

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i agree with your point. i think over the next few years they will phase out DVD's and release software on sd cards and finally drop the DVD's.

we will know when they update the imacs. if they also get sd card slots then it's true.

25. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

from Wikipedia