Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
First let me start by saying that Apple Sales and Apple Support are totally useless... (It's were all the people who couldn't get hired in fast-food go!!)

Neither Apples Sales nor Apple Support can tell me how much faster or better the MagSafe charger is for an iPhone 12 Pro Max that I am looking to purchase.

There are lots of smart people here at MacRumors, so I am hoping someone can help me get a better grasp of charging times on the iPhone 12 Pro Max between:

1.) Old Lighting to USB-A cable

2.) New Lightning to USB-C cable

3.) MagSafe to USB-C charger

4.) MagSafe to USB-C charger to USB-A adapter

5.) MagSafe to USB-C charger to @0W USB-C Power Adpter

This new iPhone 12 Pro Max will be used exclusively to shoot video and will be used out in the field 95% of the time.

My charging sources will either be my older rMBP which only has USB-A ports, or into a power inverter that plgs into my car's cigarette lighter or into a RavPower lithium power pack that has USB-A ports.

I'm not going to spent $90/$110 to buy Apples MagSafe solution when no one at Apple can even tell me the benefits of it?!

I would also like to add that it is totally deceptive to call MagSafe technology "wireless" because it is a fricking WIRE with a magnet on the end!!!!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The MagSafe charger is a big thick thing that sticks to the back of the phone magnetically. You don't want to be using one of those when shooting video "out in the field". Also they don't charge all that fast.

The fastest and most versatile choice is to get a USB-C charger with a 6 ft lightning to USB-C cable.
With this choice, you don't have to be plugged in all the time since the battery charges much faster

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
The MagSafe charger is a big thick thing that sticks to the back of the phone magnetically. You don't want to be using one of those when shooting video "out in the field". Also they don't charge all that fast.

The fastest and most versatile choice is to get a USB-C charger with a 6 ft lightning to USB-C cable.
With this choice, you don't have to be plugged in all the time since the battery charges much faster

If I use my older Lightning-to-USB-A cable, how well will that charge the iPhone 12 Pro Max?

And if I use the newer Lightning-to-USB-C cable, and I get a USB-C to USB-A adapter, how will that impact charging times? (My MBPs, my car power inverter, and the cigarette lighter charger I have, and my RavPower battery pack are all USB-A.)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
A USB C source can output more current than any USB A source but the difference isn't mind blowing when charging an iPhone.
You'll be fine using a USB A to Lightning cable plugged into a USB A charging source. That's all we had for the last 12 years anyway.
There's no need to use a USB C cable with a USB A adapter dongle. That won't accomplish anything.

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West

Is it worth buying the 20W USB-C Power (Wall) Adapter?

Specifically, if I am driving to my next gig, and I need to charge my iPhone 12 Pro Max, what is the best way to do this?

I have a power inverter that I plug into my cigarette lighter that has two USB-A ports and two 120V outlets.

(Not sure the rating on the USB-A ports.)

Would I want to...

a.) Get a USB-A or USB-C cigarette lighter charger and hook a cable to that and my iPhone?

b.) Buy the 20 W USB-C Power Adapter and plug that into my power inverter?

c.) Plug my iPhone and Lightning cable into the power inverter's USB-A ports?

I rarely have access or time to use wall outlets and chargers...

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
I think they’re referring to your comment about fast food employees.

Well, I spent 30+ minutes on the phone today with Apple, speaking to 3 different Apple employees, and the last girl could not tell me which option was the fastest way to charge the iPhone I am trying to buy, and she said Apple Support had no specifications about how their new MagSafe charger compared to the cable.

How can Apple design, manufacture and sell items and they can't tell you what they do? Not even people in Apple Support?

She also gave me WRONG information in saying that the MagSafe charger is *faster* than the cable thatc omes with the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Not according to that MacRumors article above.

So, yeah, that is on par with what I'd expect from a teenager at Best Buy or McDonalds.

Sometimes the truth hurts...

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
First let me start by saying that Apple Sales and Apple Support are totally useless... (It's were all the people who couldn't get hired in fast-food go!!)

Neither Apples Sales nor Apple Support can tell me how much faster or better the MagSafe charger is for an iPhone 12 Pro Max that I am looking to purchase.

There are lots of smart people here at MacRumors, so I am hoping someone can help me get a better grasp of charging times on the iPhone 12 Pro Max between:

1.) Old Lighting to USB-A cable

2.) New Lightning to USB-C cable

3.) MagSafe to USB-C charger

4.) MagSafe to USB-C charger to USB-A adapter

5.) MagSafe to USB-C charger to @0W USB-C Power Adpter

This new iPhone 12 Pro Max will be used exclusively to shoot video and will be used out in the field 95% of the time.

My charging sources will either be my older rMBP which only has USB-A ports, or into a power inverter that plgs into my car's cigarette lighter or into a RavPower lithium power pack that has USB-A ports.

I'm not going to spent $90/$110 to buy Apples MagSafe solution when no one at Apple can even tell me the benefits of it?!

I would also like to add that it is totally deceptive to call MagSafe technology "wireless" because it is a fricking WIRE with a magnet on the end!!!!

I'm guessing you're not in the US, as the MagSafe charger is $39 USD and the 20W USB-C charger is $19USD (total $58 USD). What currency are your $90 and $110 figures in, and what products do they represent?

I bought two MagSafe adapters, two 20W USB-C power adapters, and two third party desktop mounts for the MagSafe chargers. For me, this works great at home and work, and I'm very impressed with the charging speed.

If you're concerned about the price, then the no-brainer to me is to use lightning to USB-A or USB-C, and if you have AC power available then use the 20W adapter for faster charging speeds.

Btw, there's nothing "deceptive" about it being called wireless. Is there a wire connecting the charger to your phone? No? Then it's wireless. Obviously the charger itself has to be connected to a power source by a wire. It doesn't generate electricity from the surrounding air, LOL!

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The fastest possible way to charge the new iPhone (when the battery is below 80%) is with Apple's 20 watt USB C charger and their USB C cable. (Charger plugged into your inverter).
Above 80% it doesn't really matter too much what charger you use because the iPhone throttles the current when it gets near full.

The other option that might charge a bit slower would be to just plug your phone into the USB A ports on the inverter with a standard USB A to lightning cable

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Best way to charge your iPhone 12 is to just buy a 20W USB-C PD power adapter. Anker (Nano model if i'm correct, very compact) and Apple are your best bets for this.

If you want a longer cable that the one included in the box, you can buy an extra USB-C / Lightning cable. For this, I strongly recommand not buying an Apple one since they are really expansive for a cable and the quality is not very good. I would prioritize any MFI certified cable with nylon and good reviews.

Forget USB-A i would say if you want a fast way to charge. USB-C is the good choice in terms of performance and it's the new standard while USB-A is progressively dying.
And don't get into USB-A/USB-C converter, it's better to have a straight USB-A / Lighting or USB-C / Lighting.

MagSafe is not worth its price, it is indeed slow and not that convenient for a lot of people. I would consider it only if you see a specific use case for you.

Reactions: Barbareren

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
I'm guessing you're not in the US, as the MagSafe charger is $39 USD and the 20W USB-C charger is $19USD (total $58 USD). What currency are your $90 and $110 figures in, and what products do they represent?

I am in the US.

MagSafe Case = $49
MagSafe Charger $39
20W USB-C Power Adapter = $19

I bought two MagSafe adapters, two 20W USB-C power adapters, and two third party desktop mounts for the MagSafe chargers. For me, this works great at home and work, and I'm very impressed with the charging speed.

But it charges slower, correct?

And charging speeds aside, what is the life-changing difference between plugging in a charging cable and "snapping" on a charging cable?

If you're concerned about the price, then the no-brainer to me is to use lightning to USB-A or USB-C, and if you have AC power available then use the 20W adapter for faster charging speeds.

Okay.

Btw, there's nothing "deceptive" about it bein called wireless. Is there a wire connecting the charger to your phone?

Yes!

At least from what the Apple rep said, you have a charging cable that has a magnet on the end. So your iPhone is physically attached via a wire to the power source.

What is "wireless" about that?

No? Then it's wireless. Obviously the charger itself has to be connected to a power source by a wire. It doesn't generate electricity from the surrounding air, LOL!

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
The fastest possible way to charge the new iPhone (when the battery is below 80%) is with Apple's 20 watt USB C charger and their USB C cable. (Charger plugged into your inverter).
Above 80% it doesn't really matter too much what charger you use because the iPhone throttles the current when it gets near full.

The other option that might charge a bit slower would be to just plug your phone into the USB A ports on the inverter with a standard USB A to lightning cable

Does a USB-C to USB-A converter slow things down?

I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to hook up my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my RavPower battery cell which just has USB-A ports. I hook up my phone to this when I am out filming whether it is in my back-pocket or hanging on my tripod.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I am in the US.

MagSafe Case = $49
MagSafe Charger $39
20W USB-C Power Adapter = $19

Oh, I didn't realize you were counting the case in the cost. The MagSafe cases are nice in their own right, though, even if you don't use them with MagSafe.

But it charges slower, correct?

That's what many claim, but I didn't see any noticeable difference between MagSafe and lightning to USB-C through the same 20W USB-C adapter. I even used an app to measure the charging speed, and it showed very little difference, and one test even showed the MagSafe charging faster.

And charging speeds aside, what is the life-changing difference between plugging in a charging cable and "snapping" on a charging cable?

Has anyone claimed it was "life-changing"? But wouldn't you prefer to simply set your phone down to charge than to plug it in? "It's the little things..." Also, I use a lightning port dust plug, so MagSafe is even more convenient for me since I don't have to remove that plug every time to charge.

At least from what the Apple rep said, you have a charging cable that has a magnet on the end. So your iPhone is physically attached via a wire to the power source.

I'm not sure if you're joking with this or are serious. Did you think the MagSafe charger (or ANY wireless charger) magically generated power out of thin air? It's called wireless because the actual point of connection between the charger and the phone is a pad/disc with inductive coils to transfer power, not a wire that's physically plugged into the phone.

Last edited:

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
That's what many claim, but I didn't see any noticeable difference between MagSafe and lightning to USB-C through the same 20W USB-C adapter. I even used an app to measure the charging speed, and it showed no difference.
Wired is always, and even officially stated, significantly faster (a maximum of 15W with MagSafe and a steady 20W while wired), more reliable, and generates less heat. Also, the OP is entirely correct in questioning the whole “wireless” marketing gimmick - because that’s what it is.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Wired is always, and even officially stated, significantly faster (a maximum of 15W with MagSafe and a steady 20W while wired), more reliable, and generates less. Also, the OP is entirely correct in questioning the whole “wireless” marketing gimmick - because that’s what it is.

My experience is that there is no practical difference. I even used an app (Amperes) to put numbers on it - see thread post here. It may be theoretically faster in tech specs, but I care about real-world performance. And in the real world, I didn't perceive it to be any faster, and most definitely not "significantly" faster. You can even see in that linked post that the MagSafe rated higher on one test, and on two there was hardly any difference. Only on one test did the wired charging method have any noticeably better numbers.

Wireless charging isn't life-changing, but neither is it a gimmick. Many, many people (including myself) prefer the added convenience. I'm sorry you and the OP don't understand what wireless charging means, but I've already explained it clearly. I thought this was common knowledge. If you don't want to understand it, then I can't help you further.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
It may be theoretically faster in tech specs, but I care about real-world performance. And in the real world, I didn't perceive it to be any faster, and most definitely not "significantly" faster.
And hundreds of other users would very much disagree with your so-called ‘real-world’ testing.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
And hundreds of other users would very much disagree with your so-called ‘real-world’ testing.

I linked you to testing data and I'm simply telling you my actual experience. Sorry it doesn't match yours, but I'm not going to lie about it to make you happy.

• Haha

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

"Wireless" means you don't have to plug a wire into your iPhone to charge it.

If you don't see the value, just don't buy it. I personally like it. No fumbling with cords, easy to put on, and remove from charging. I appreciate less wires dangling from my desk and night stand. And the magnetic component means it's easy to ensure the correct positioning for charging so you don't wake up with a dead phone due to incorrect placement by 1mm.

Reactions: usagora

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
If you want a longer cable that the one included in the box, you can buy an extra USB-C / Lightning cable.

How long is the cable in the box?

For this, I strongly recommand not buying an Apple one since they are really expansive for a cable and the quality is not very good. I would prioritize any MFI certified cable with nylon and good reviews.

I have heard from multiple sources that you should *always* buy cables from Apple, as non-Apple ones often don't work because your iPhone ignores them.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Forget USB-A i would say if you want a fast way to charge. USB-C is the good choice in terms of performance and it's the new standard while USB-A is progressively dying.

Okay.

And don't get into USB-A/USB-C converter, it's better to have a straight USB-A / Lighting or USB-C / Lighting.

Okay.

MagSafe is not worth its price, it is indeed slow and not that convenient for a lot of people. I would consider it only if you see a specific use case for you.

Agreed.

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
Has anyone claimed it was "life-changing"?

Apple implies it, as do lots of bloggers.

But wouldn't you prefer to simply set your phone down to charge than to plug it in? "It's the little things..." Also, I use a lightning port dust plug, so MagSafe is even more convenient for me since I don't have to remove that plug every time to charge.

I never dock my devices, so I can't relate.

I'm not sure if you're joking with this or are serious. Did you think the MagSafe charger (or ANY wireless charger) magically generated power out of thin air? It's called wireless because the actual point of connection between the charger and the phone is a pad/disc with inductive coils to transfer power, not a wire that's physically plugged into the phone.

Actually they are working on technology that will one day send electrical charges through thin air.

No, I didn't think that is what the MagSafe offered, but when someone claims "wireless" it iplies "no physical connections".

All the MagSafe offers is a WIRED charging connection with a magnetic connector versus a traditional male/female connector.

It is NOT wireless.

Name one other example in day to day life where something is tethered to a wire and a power source where people use the term "wireless".

What I actually thought "wireless" meant was that you set your phone down in a cradle - like a wireless phone - and it snapped into the base and hat is how it charged. Even that would be more "wireless" than a round magnet on the end of a charging cable! *LOL*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.