Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Actually they are working on technology that will one day send electrical charges through thin air.

No, I didn't think that is what the MagSafe offered, but when someone claims "wireless" it iplies "no physical connections".

What you refer to would be contact-less charging, no? I still think it's fair to label this as wireless charging as it is commonly understood that wired charging would be physically plugging something into a port on the phone. So since this 'newer' tech doesn't require that, I think it's fair to call it 'wireless'. Especially, as I understand it, that terminology refers to the transfer of power happening wirelessly?

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
What you refer to would be contact-less charging, no?

Contact-less (and wireless) charging.

Your TV remote control is presumably contact-less and wireless.

The free Wi-Fi at Starbucks is contact-less and wireless.

And so on...

I still think it's fair to label this as wireless charging as it is commonly understood that wired charging would be physically plugging something into a port on the phone.

"Wireless" in any other application with consumer electronics implies that your device is not tethered to a cable.

Magnet or electrical connector, you cannot use the charger unless you connect it to the charging cable with a magnet on the end.

And in order to leave with your iPhone, you have to detach the iPhone from the cable/magnet combo.

You make it sound like I am splitting hairs, but I think you and Apple are trying to mold an otherwise understood English word into something that is not how most people conceive of it.

So since this 'newer' tech doesn't require that, I think it's fair to call it 'wireless'. Especially, as I understand it, that terminology refers to the transfer of power happening wirelessly?

And that is my point!

Take a pair of scissors, cut the CABLE on your "wireless" MagSafe charger, and tell me how long it takes to charge your iPhone! ;-)

Your iPhone is charged via a WIRE as before - the only difference is that the WIRE now has a magnet on the end as a connector, and not a Lightning adapter on the end.

Guess we'll have to "agree to disagree"...

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Maybe the difference between contact-less and wireless is a matter of semantics, but I agree with the OP - MagSafe won’t work without being connected to a wire/cable and as such I consider the use of ‘wireless’ to be misleading in computing terms; a marketing gimmick. Would you call a computer mouse or a keyboard that works without any cable contact-less or wireless?

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Is it worth buying the 20W USB-C Power (Wall) Adapter?

Specifically, if I am driving to my next gig, and I need to charge my iPhone 12 Pro Max, what is the best way to do this?

I have a power inverter that I plug into my cigarette lighter that has two USB-A ports and two 120V outlets.

(Not sure the rating on the USB-A ports.)

Would I want to...

a.) Get a USB-A or USB-C cigarette lighter charger and hook a cable to that and my iPhone?

b.) Buy the 20 W USB-C Power Adapter and plug that into my power inverter?

c.) Plug my iPhone and Lightning cable into the power inverter's USB-A ports?

I rarely have access or time to use wall outlets and chargers...
If you care about speed of charging, get the 20W Apple or Anker Nano III USB-C charger. If it's for home and you just want something to place your phone down to charge overnight, the wireless options are nice. You can look at your phone and set it back down without plugging it in. Wireless isn't about speed, it's about convenience.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would also like to add that it is totally deceptive to call MagSafe technology "wireless" because it is a fricking WIRE with a magnet on the end!!!!
It is, but you know why? Because most people are dumb in identifying what is what. So “wireless”, one word, and those dumb people are taken care of, mostly.

Still, I consider wireless charging as one of the biggest marketing lies across the whole consumer electronics industry. It’s arguably no better than wired charging when plugging into a port. Such deceiving marketing not being regulated is shocking to me.

Either way, you want fast charging, you need a 20W charger. Charging through car won’t matter whether you use MagSafe or simple wire. Your car won’t provide enough power for fast charging. But in the field, if your team uses portable power station, definitely get a 20W charger. It’s faster to charge that way.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It’s still not “wireless” no matter how you try to spin it. Terminology matters, at least to me. Charging over WiFi would be true wireless charging. Whether that’ll ever be sufficient to effectively charge a smartphone is another matter.

Again, "wireless" is referring specifically to how you connect the phone to the charger. What is so hard to understand about that? Who cares that the charger itself is plugged into a power source? You do that once and then never again unless you travel a lot with the charger. The phone is connected wirelessly to the charger. That's not "spin"; it's a simple fact.

I guess when "cordless phones" came out back in the day, you made an issue of that too since the phone base had a power cord and phone line plugged into it :rolleyes:

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Again, "wireless" is referring specifically to how you connect the phone to the charger. What is so hard to understand about that? Who cares that the charger itself is plugged into a power source? You do that once and then never again unless you travel a lot with the charger. The phone is connected wirelessly to the charger. That's not "spin"; it's a simple fact.

I guess when "cordless phones" came out back in the day, you made an issue of that too since the phone base had a power cord and phone line plugged into it :rolleyes:
Again:
Maybe the difference between contact-less and wireless is a matter of semantics, but I agree with the OP - MagSafe won’t work without being connected to a wire/cable and as such I consider the use of ‘wireless’ to be misleading in computing terms; a marketing gimmick. Would you call a computer mouse or a keyboard that works without any cable contact-less or wireless?
So I suppose you’d be one of those people calling a wireless mouse ‘contact-less’, then. ?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Apple implies it, as do lots of bloggers.

I can't speak for every blogger, but Apple certainly doesn't imply it on their product page:

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 8.15.38 PM.png

Pretty straight-forward language - nothing at all implying life-changing.

I never dock my devices, so I can't relate.

Not sure what you mean. If you aren't using a MafSafe or Qi charger, then you're plugging and unplugging your phone probably every day to charge it.

Actually they are working on technology that will one day send electrical charges through thin air.\

I know, but that's still going to involve something that's wired to power (the something that's sending the power over the air).

No, I didn't think that is what the MagSafe offered, but when someone claims "wireless" it iplies "no physical connections".

No, it implies there are no wires involved (it's WIREless, not CONNECTIONless). And there ARE no wires involved in connecting the iPhone to the charger. Just like "cordless" phones had no cord connecting the handset to the base - obviously there was still a phone cord and power cord connected to the base, but that's obviously not what "wireless" was referring to (because no one cared as long as they par they actually picked up and used all the time was wireless).

All the MagSafe offers is a WIRED charging connection with a magnetic connector versus a traditional male/female connector.

Uh, again - you just said it - it's a MAGNETIC CONENCTOR (not a WIRE).

Name one other example in day to day life where something is tethered to a wire and a power source where people use the term "wireless".

I already brought up the example from the past about "cordless" phones. There's also wi-fi (wireless) Internet - my wi-fi router has 4 wires sticking out of it. Yet the connection to the internet it provides my devices is "wireless".

What I actually thought "wireless" meant was that you set your phone down in a cradle - like a wireless phone - and it snapped into the base and hat is how it charged. Even that would be more "wireless" than a round magnet on the end of a charging cable! *LOL*

Err...that's precisely what it is, especially if you buy a holder for it. Here's mine:
IMG_0816.jpg

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Again:

So I suppose you’d be one of those people calling a wireless mouse ‘contact-less’, then. ?

Wi-fi won't work unless the router is connected to power and a modem (which is also connected to power and also a data cable), so I guess "wireless internet" is just a big marketing gimmick and a lie, right?

I hope you're starting to see how silly your line of reasoning is sounding.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
It’s about convenience. I like holding my phone up to up to the charging stand it snapping on and then just grabbing it one handed and starting the day. If it’s not your jam then so be it. To each their own. But I don’t think it’s fair to rail on the technology and the people that advocate for it simply because you don’t agree. At this point your question has been answered many times. Apple isn’t going to be able to cite a case study or anything. Just pick up a 20W charger and be done. It’ll charge plenty fast. If it’s that big of an issue get a MagSafe battery back as well.

Reactions: Saladin12

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Wi-fi won't work unless the router is connected to power and a modem (which is also connected to power and also a data cable), so I guess "wireless internet" is just a big marketing gimmick and a lie, right?
Oh god ? The, very obvious, difference between WiFi and MagSafe, is that I can use data through WiFi without plugging my WiFi enabled devices physically into the modem! I can’t use power from MagSafe unless my phone is physically connected to it! I don’t understand what’s so hard for you to understand!

Reactions: TwoLaneHighway

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Oh god ? The, very obvious, difference between WiFi and MagSafe, is that I can use data through WiFi without plugging my WiFi enabled devices physically into the modem! I can’t use power from MagSafe unless my phone is physically connected to it! I don’t understand what’s so hard for you to understand!

"Oh god" back at you. Is there a wire that goes between the wi-fi router and your wi-fi device? No. Is there a wire that goes between the MagSafe charger and the phone? No. They're both wireless.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
"Oh god" back at you. Is there a wire that goes between the wi-fi router and your wi-fi device? No. Is there a wire that goes between the MagSafe charger and the phone? No. They're both wireless.
No, they are not both wireless. Yes, there IS a wire that goes between MagSafe and the phone. The phone is still physically connected to the charger even though it’s connected through a puck rather than a hole (port).

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, there IS a wire that goes between MagSafe and the phone.

Nope. The wire is between the MagSafe and the power source, not between the phone and the MagSafe. Just like with a modem the wire is between the router and the modem, not between the router and the computer (or other wi-fi device).

The phone is still physically connected to the charger even though it’s connected through a puck rather than a hole (port).

Again, it's not "contactless" charging. It's wireless. That's not semantics, it's a pretty fundamental distinction. Again, it may not be life-changing, but it's nice when I come home just to slap the phone down on the MagSafe without fumbling with any wires. Can easily do it in the dark as well - and the magnetic aspect gives you feedback that the phone is connected properly.

I will say that a MagSafe "puck" alone without a base (like the one I pictured in a previous post) is pretty useless to me because it's too cumbersome to remove due to the strong magnetic field. But add a weighted base/stand, and it's a great charging method that I prefer over wired.

P.S. I'm glad my posts bring you so much joy ( ? ? ? ? ? ? )

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Nope. The wire is between the MagSafe and the power source, not between the phone and the MagSafe.
So, if you remove the phone from the puck, it should still be charging then, right? Because it’s ‘wireless’ ?

By using your ‘logic’ a wireless mouse shouldn’t actually be called wireless, but contactless. Because everything is the same and words have no meaning…

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So, if you remove the phone from the puck, it should still be charging then, right? Because it’s ‘wireless’ ?

As I just said (and has been gone over before), it's not contactless charging; it's wireless charging. If Apple marketed it as contactless, then you'd have a legitimate complaint about having to set it down on the "puck".

You know, sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and admit you're wrong. This is that time for you. I've had my times in the past and will in the future, but this isn't one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.