Why should i get a laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsook724, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jsook724 macrumors regular

i have enough money to get the 15" refurbished unibody macbook pro. i have a powermac g5 which is really my dads and im just using it. so if i do get a laptop, i will give back the desktop

now for the real question:

Why should a get a laptop, I'm in 8th grade and i have wanted a mac laptop for a few years now. But why?

i do lots of reports, almost 2 or 3 a week, and i dont usually get home til 8 or 9 pm

2. 2056 macrumors 6502

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You probably don't need it. I'd wait until next year, needs in high school change...

here comes the flames...

4. jsook724 thread starter macrumors regular

i could see that, but im not that kind of person that can wait to spend money, or save it. i just have to spend it

5. Surely Guest

Surely

If you want it, get it. It's your money.

It doesn't sound like you need it though.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Just save your money. You really dont have an exceptional need for a laptop until college. Highschool is workable, and those who say a laptop in HS is a need, are over dramatizing it. Yes in highschool it is convenient, but not needed. Id wait if i were you, youll kick youself in a few years when you realize if you would have waited youd have a way better rig for college.

7. jsook724 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i know that but i dont see why NOT to get a laptop

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

if your asking why should I are you sure you even need it.

9. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

How would we know why you should get a laptop? That's all on you, and you're needs.

You say you do a lot of reports, if that G5 is good for you, then yeah: why should you get a laptop?

If you just want a laptop, then that's a reason why you should get one.

Just get one. Since you're so intent on spending that money, I guess the other question is if you're not going to get a laptop, what are you going to buy? Weigh the pros and cons and see which one is more important to buy as of now.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

why was this thread even posted?
    you answered your own question in the first post. "I have wanted a mac laptop for a few years" that is reason enough. why do you need anymore convincing than you just want it?

why are you asking US why YOU want a laptop?

you have already made up your mind saying things like you cant wait to spend money,

your first question was why do i want a laptop? and then your answer to someone who told you to wait was"I dont see why not to get a laptop.

c'mon man, you had your mind made up way before this. you want one, you have the money for it, and you are asking us to convince you when there is no need.

I venture to say that you were just itchin' to post a thread and this was the best "question" you could come up with.

buy whatever you want!!!

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

b/c you dont need it, youll end up on facebook all day or chatting your life away on IMs or a meebo room. If you want it for games thats a mistake too. Use a desktop for that.
    If you were to get one you probably wouldnt even need the power of a white mac book. Im thinking your just a kid who wants stuff. Really, your in 8th grade, save your money, go out and have fun while you still can. Then when your older get a sweet computer so it makes your 15 to 30 page papers suck less.

12. oregon2 macrumors regular

You seem like a rich kid who has lots of money to spend. If this is the case, by all means get it. You will definitely appreciate if even if you you don't at all need it.

If this is not true, and you actually do not have money to spare, then stop being stupid and save your money. Spending over $1000 on a laptop would be plain idiotic when you will soon have to start paying for alot of stuff that you actually do need.

13. darkdream macrumors member

Why not get it? portability... ease...ect... I have had my own laptop(s) since I was in grade school and my own desktops...I have always preferred laptops for everything, but gaming. I do not think you should buy a refurbished one if you have the money to buy a brand new one.

14. oregon2 macrumors regular

Sure, of course a laptop is great and convenient, but your speaking as if money is not an issue. For most people it is and it is very hard to justify purchasing an expensive laptop when money is an issue...

15. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hi, it will be MUCH easier to lug around a bit smaller (and lighter) laptop. The MBP is great, but why not consider the MacBook Air or a 13" MacBook? Your shoulders and back will thank you within a few days of lugging a lighter laptop around. :D

16. shipra macrumors newbie

Because Laptop is a portable. You can take a laptop anywhere. If you purchased it then i damn sure you will be in benefit.

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

money is only an issue if you don't work enough ;)

18. omgitzjoie macrumors newbie

He's a kid in eighth grade! I doubt he works at all.

Anyways, like everyone's said. If you are rich and money is not an issue, then by all means get it.

I couldn't afford a laptop until college and of course, I worked my butt off to make that kind of spending money. In eighth grade, I used my computer for games because I was a kid. If you have the money, I'd recommend buying a high end desktop computer because it'll benefit you more than a laptop would.

19. oregon2 macrumors regular

yes if you need to buy a private jet and money is an issue, you simply need to increase your hours and then it is all yours

20. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

so you can surf the internet while you are in your "office".

:D

21. midnilux macrumors newbie

You don't need one till college.

In high school teachers wont let you just use your laptop as you please in the middle of class, in college 90% of the time everyone has their laptop out except during tests.

22. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I don't understand. The OP seems to have made his mind up. He has the money and wants a MacBook. Is he asking us to explain to him his reasons for that want?

23. brendu macrumors 68020

are you asking us to give you reasons so you can justify the purchase to your parents?

24. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

being a high schooler currently (starting sophomore year tomorrow), i would say having a computer thats portable really helps, especially when u have to do projects with other people and u meet up at the library and stuff, and sometimes when teachers let u bring your computer in for a certain presentation or something, its perfect.

If i had a desktop right now, it'd be much harder to do those projects at the library for instance mainly because you can't really do the actual project without the computer (yeah theres computers there, but i prefer doing presentations in keynote, looks better, and its a lot more unique than other students cuz most use windows)

25. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yeah, you'll eventually afford it ;) First you might need to get an education if you haven't gone to college, but you would eventually have it if you set your mind to it :)