Why should I get a MBP over Sony Vaio?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jim on the Wall, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Jim on the Wall macrumors newbie

For $1989 I can get a 4GB 2.6ghz, 160GB, Nvida 8400, 15.4" Sony Vaio FZ.
    For $1999 I get a 2GB 2.2ghz, Nvidia 8600, 15" Macbook Pro (Equivalent Vaio is $1250)

Besides the fact (big plus btw) that MBP runs OS X, why should I buy a MBP over a Sony Vaio?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. mr.light macrumors 6502

You want Vista.... Get the Vaio. You want a better built machine that looks better, will likely last longer and run a much better OS (or Vista if you want) buy MBP.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

AGAIN basing it on component cost?

Definitive list of real reasons that Macs are better than PCs:

1. OS X. Simply put; ease of use/no viruses
    2. Windows: if you must (for games and the like)
    3. Build quality: Anodized-freaking-aluminum, people.
    4. Apple support: which has gotten a little worse as marketshare increases, but hey, customer satisfaction is still frigtastically high.
    5. General running betterness: OS X is less of a resource hog (HDD space/RAM use) than Vista or XP. You'll be more productive and be able to multitask better.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

What better reason do you need than OS X? It blows any Windows OS out of the water. The MBP is more money because it is a better machine.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Many posters ask this type of question, and I can understand why but you really have to experience the whole package in order to appreciate why you should. It really "just works". That silly phrase actually describes the delightful experience that a mac really is.

It's not that Vista/XP is totally bad (although let me tell you the former is frustrating on a good day), its just that OS X is so much better.

Sony makes pretty decent gear overall. I have owned Vaios (both notebooks and desktops) and they were overall good experiences.

If you want to own a decent windows notebook, buy the Sony. You will find it a bit harder to justify a switch to mac on price alone. Value....now there is where the real rubber meets the road.

7. Spievy macrumors regular

Well put.

I know you already said this in #2. But The MBP is the best of both worlds, you get to run Mac OSX and run Windoze. For a person who is unsure which platform, what more can you ask for .

8. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i will say that i have owned 2 macbook pro's and a couple of vaios... and after my experience with the MBP's so far, i think the build quality of the vaio's is more reliable... even though i would go for the mac because of OSX.

i'm not impressed with apple's QC as of late

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

The 2.6 isn't going to be as useful as you think it will be when it's bottlenecked by the terrible 8400GT. Sure, the 8600GT in itself ain't such a hot GPU, but it sure as hell is better than the 8400

10. r76h23h78 macrumors newbie

Am I correct in saying that the Sony won't be able to use the entire 4GB of RAM?

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Let's turn it around. What would I do with a Sony Vaio if someone gave me one for free? Well I guess I could load linux or maybe Solaris on it. Windows can't run any of the software I use, Final Cut, Aperture, none of it runs on Windows.

So that is why you'd buy one computer ofver another: Becuase it runs the software you need to run.

12. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yep. From what I hear, Vista can't use 4 GB of RAM.

13. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I dunno if you guys are blinded by Apple fanism, but the quality of Sony products are just as good as Apple. Then again with the Sony you could run other OS like you know, but we won't get into that. I say save a little money get the 2.4ghz Sony with the upgraded card with everything else the same and put the money save towards something else. I would have done the same except at that time purchase for me the project was still new.

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you care only about price and look at nothing else the Apple computer may actually cost less. The reason is re-sale price later. Your cost to own the computer to the purchase price minus what you sell it for later. Apple computer has always held their price very well. You can recover much of the price when it comes time to sell. PC notebooks on the other hand become valueless very quickly.

But of course we don't care only about price. We buy computers because we want to run software on them. Buy the computer that runs the software yo want to use. But isn't it nice to know that the computer that runs the best software holds it's value so well that you can own it for a few years for maybe $800.

15. Galapp macrumors regular

1. OS X
    2. it runs both OS X and Windows
    3. it runs really good, it isn't as heavy as sony laptops
    4. OS X
    5. OS X

16. acoustictones macrumors member

acoustictones

I have owned a number of vaio's (both desktop and laptops) and they ALL have been great. So I have NO complaints about any of my Vaio and Sony experiences.

And with that said, I can't say that I have ever really had any XP issues. I am a very heavy user for business, video and audio, and all of my Vaio's and XP have been fantastic to me.

So no bashing of "non-Apple" product here...have loved both XP and my Vaio's...BUT the main reason I suspect that I will be making the switch to Apple this year (as soon as I am financially prepared to buy my next computer) is due to the fact that I can actaully run both Windows and Mac on a Mac, and CAN'T run Max OS on any Windows based product.

It allows me to run all of the Windows and Mac based software that I need on ONE machine, and that will save me both time and money (yep, both as far as I a concerned).

I hope that helps. Nothing against Windows. It has been as flawless for me as any Mac user can profess that their system has been for them, but my current Vaio can't run Final Cut Pro, or any of the other Mac based systems I need.

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i have own 2 vaios in the past.. and personally with regards to design and durability.. i'd go with SONY.
    but considering the OS.. Leopard is better than Vista.

you can't have the best of both worlds.. sorry!
    read the problems of people with MBP esp re hardware issues..
    i never had any hardware problem with a VAIO.
    problems were mostly software

18. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

Apple make the software and the hardware now thats somthing i'd pay extra for:cool:

19. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

OS X! The Apple will last longer because you won't be as consistently frustrated and therefore it is less likely for you to chuck the computer out the window.

20. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hm...

The Vaio has a crappier resolution, worse GPU, is heavier, thicker, has worse battery life, and on top of all that...it doesnt run OS X.

21. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I must say though the built to order options are VERY CHEAP!!! $530 for a .6GHz CPU boost is pretty cheap compared to Apples $250 at .2GHz. Not bad prices!!

22. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I hate these threads of people asking us to justify their Mac purchase. If you want to use OSX then get a Mac, if you don't then you probably aren't in the right place asking.

23. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Ill tell you the real reason that nobody else will probably admit, at why the MBP is so much more expensive

Its because its outdated!!! Wait till the freakin' new one and you will get a much closer specced machine. THe current one has been out for 8 months and has barely had a price drop, so what do you expect?

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im sure the 4gb ram upgrade has to be more affordable than apples

25. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Why buy a Macbook Pro over a Sony VAIO? Because you want to? Because you like OS X? Because Steve's RDF has finally gotten to you? :p :D