Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I like all OS's

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
I think the good question I've been seeing crop up a few times is what you want your computer to do. Of course I'm writing this as a general answer for anyone who happens to stumble on this thread trying to decide on whether to buy a mac or not.

Until this last month I was almost strictly a PC user and had learned the tools of the trade on windows and had dabbled a fair amount in Ubuntu (Linux Disto.) before we got a MacBook Pro back in '09. At the time I wouldnt touch it because it was so foriegn to me and I thought Leopard was so cluttered. But as sure as I'm using it to type this right now, once we installed Snow Leopard and I decided to give the OS a shot I found I like how simple it is. I LOVE to mess with how my machine runs but the nice thing about OS X is that even tho the mod/tweak community is lacking in comparison to Linux and Windows, if I don't want to bother with the mods I know it'll still just... well work without me getting a headache.

So short answer is I got into macs because the handle ALL three operating systems I like to use. (tried hackintosh route, just too buggy)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
If you can afford it. Get a Mac.

Isn't it great to actually enjoy working on a computer instead of just having to.

I moved over before Christmas and i'd never go back. :cool:

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
I'm actually in the same situation as the OP and I'm thinking about picking up a cheap used mac just to try out OSX once Lion comes out.

I read through the entire thread, and it seems a lot of the comments comparing OSX vs Windows are based on user experience using a previous version of Windows (XP, NT, etc..) and only a handful are comparing OSX and Win7, which is what I would love to see more of.

I've played around with my friend's MBP for a bit, and while I really like the aesthetics and the trackpad, I'm not sure if the "Apple tax" is worth it compared to Windows machines. For example, I got a Thinkpad x220 with an i7 2620m, 160gb SSD, and 8gb of RAM for ~$1300, but a comparable MBP 13" would be $1800+.

So that means I have to like OSX $500 more than I like Windows 7 for the transition to make sense, if that makes sense :p

So what I would like to know is what can OS X do that Windows 7 can't, and vice versa. Because I've always had this perception (don't flame me to death pls) that OS X is better for content creation (music, video, photo, etc...), and Windows is more functional for everything else.

Thanks in advance!

josheeee

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
there is too many nice things to list and the human brain cannot remember them all at a time. A mac is something you have to experience rather than be told about. I used to be a mac hater but now I swear by them and will never look at another pc. Really, just playing around with them at the Apple store is less than 1% of the experience there is to get. You will find this out soon enough if you go the Mac route. Good luck with your purchase :)

It is also funny, i have a mac hater friend who is IT genius u know the deal. I was cycling through some psds with quicklook by tapping space bar and he asked me how I was doing it and what app made it do it LOL one of the most basic things and he says he hates macs. This is because the PC crowd are all sheep to each other. Most of the haters have not used it more than 10 minutes and just look at price alone. All the rest are just jealous. You also never hear of Mac owners attacking PC owners over their platform because Mac owners are usually more mature and enjoy their tech life without any hassles so there is nothing to get mad about. My girlfriends mother goes nuts over her windows machine, sure I solve the problem but every single problem i have to solve wouldnt be existant on a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.