Why so hung up on no physical click?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pacmania1982, Apr 11, 2015.

1. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I've been a long time Mac user and have used countless portables (from the clamshell iBook right through to my current Late 2013 rMBP) and am wondering what all the fuss is about with the track pad.

I've always enabled tap to click, so rarely physically push the track pad down so it clicks.

Lots of people in reviews have said that the new track pad takes some getting used to as it doesn't physically click...

So my question is am I one of the only ones that uses tap to click or if not, why is everyone so hung up on the fact it doesn't move any more??

2. Soordhin macrumors member

Yup, always used tap to click, just is easier to do than the clicking which after all required some force, different where on the touchpad as well.

That might actually work a lot better on the new one though, looking forward to it.

3. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

I never push down on a track pad either, I also tap to click. Ive already tried Force Touch on the new rMBP 13 and I have no idea what people are talking about. Feels like every other Apple trackpad Ive used.

4. xPad macrumors regular

I've always used both. But the thing carrying the clicking over to the new trackpad enables is a second actual click further down.

Even if you're a tap-only guy, I think you'll find that the new tap gestures will start getting you to use them again for at least the new options.

And lots of people still use the standard click. It's easy to forget how problematic false taps can be for some people. That's why it's off by default.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I utterly hate "tap to click". I prefer to actually click. For me I don't like the chances of a "false tap" and really it's not hard for me to "click". It's all personal preference.

However, as I posted in another thread the track pad does move when you click it. It's not just a "sound". The pad does move.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Who is "hung up" on the new trackpad? Even with the older trackpads, you didn't feel displacement. It was always the "click" that you felt, not actual movement. The new trackpad exactly duplicates that.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I use tap to click. I guess this means on the new trackpad I'll also be able to use tap to click for the right click as well?

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

No you're not the only one, but those who are "hung up" are those using the physical click and they will have to get used to the new one, is that so hard to comprehend ?

Now, I don't think they will really have a hard time because the feel of it is very very close to a physical click.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

For all practical purposes, the new trackpad is exactly the same as the old trackpad, with the addition of force click.

10. ct1211 macrumors 6502

It simply does not take any amount of getting used to.

As simple as it can be said Apple got this 100% right. I had my 2015 next to my Late 2013 before I sold it. The feel is identical. had the wife try it then told here the 2015 does not move. she was baffled. "Force Touch" works but for now only works with all things Apple (Safari, Mail) I have always had click enabled because I was all PC before my first Mac purchase which as only a few years ago when the Air first got enough power to work with programs like photoshop etc with 2011 upgrades.

This is a non-issue!

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

To be perfectly frank, there is ZERO difference in click. I've played with the rMB for two days now and I can tell you easily if Apple said NOTHING about the new track pad I would have just assumed it was just a "click".

There is nothing to get "used to". The change is extremely minimal and only noticeable because Apple made a note about it.

12. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

But it DOES physically click. It's just generated electromechanically instead of by a switch. The new way makes tap to click a waste. You don't have to lift your finger and the feel is uniform across the surface. The best trackpad is even better. Seriously.

----------

Ha! I got yelled at in another thread for saying it moves. I'm not sure if the MB is different than the MBP but the latter's trackpad does give when you press it. If you look at a tear down, there are spring tabs underneath.

Tap to click has always been a compromise for me. I hate having to press a bottom corner to get a consistent click so I use taps instead. The new trackpad eliminates the compromise.

13. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I agree. What I really meant is that if someone is complaining about it, it's because they think they will have to get used to it.

That being said, I've yet to run across such complaints.

14. Sonmi451 Suspended

15. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I think most people are concerned about the keyboard.

16. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

I love using tap to click. The new keyboard does feel like a click but it's just so light. Very odd sensation

17. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I don't mind the new trackpad, or the new keyboard for that matter, but to say there is ZERO difference is disingenuous.

It does genuinely feel like a click. But it does not feel like the old trackpad click. This one is is a little mushier and less crisp. You can make it slightly more forceful in settings, but it's still not as satisfying.

It's just different. But to the spirit of your message, it's probably not something to get hung up about. As with all things in technology, we adapt and get used to things and a slightly less satisfying click is not a compelling reason to avoid purchasing this thing.

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Ah, OK, thanks. I dropped by my Apple store today but they had no MacBooks on display.

19. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Err... highly disagree, never going back to having to 'click' a trackpad. More pressure than necessary is less efficient. The new trackpad does seem like quite an improvement for the vast majority of users out there though.

I didn't take a look in settings though - can the haptic click be deactivated? That would be nice to have a truly clickless trackpad.

20. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Lifting your finger to tap is less efficient than a slight press :) Obviously an opinion / preference thing.

As far as turning off feedback, I looked in the settings but can't remember. It does seem odd to want no feedback along with the force touch but I'm guessing tap to click makes no "click" as before.

21. newellj macrumors 601

I agree. It's odd. If I didn't know it was new, I don't think I would have realized it was different - at least until I tried clicking up near the hinge end of the "old" trackpad.

22. NathanA macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982 asks...
    [citation needed] ;)

I have not heard anybody make a big fuss over the trackpad. I haven't gotten a chance to play with one yet, and I, for one, hate tap-to-click, and all of the reviews have not only encouraged me about this new trackpad, but made it sound to me to be vastly superior to the old one. So personally, I can't wait to see it spread to the rest of the MacBook line.

Now, the keyboard is another matter, and is something that I absolutely would want to try out in person before committing to buy...

-- Nathan

23. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I haven't seen any complaints over the trackpad and after using it I understand the silence, IT'S INCREDIBLE. When you think about the fact that it's not actually clicking, it's even more cool. That is straight up wizardry right there. It feels just like a click. The deeper "force click" is just :eek:

24. newellj macrumors 601

There's no substitute for actually trying it, but on the ones I tried yesterday in the store the only clue would have been trying to click up near the hinge end, where it's actually much easier to get a "click" on the new trackpad than on the old ones.

25. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I also hate the tap to click option. I have a hard time believing people actually like it.