Why so many comments like "I thought we didn't want a bigger screen?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I don't want to reply to every single time I've seen this comment but now that the new iPhone will be bigger I keep seeing people say things like "I thought we were happy with 3.5" "What happened to everyone saying 4" was ok?".

This is confusing to me. To me that always seemed like something iPhone owners said to kind of stave off their own insecurity over phone size. I had iPhone 4 and hoped for 3 years they'd release an iPhone with a bigger screen but they didn't so I switched to android. A lot of people did that too. If they have a bigger screen this time I'll come back.

2. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

It's because every time Apple said "X inches is the perfect phone size" - everyone jumped on that comment and agreed - all the recent comments you're referencing are targeting hypocritical commenters who would just jump on the bandwagon of whatever Apple said was the "perfect size" - and also because they would incessantly make fun of Android manufacturers and WP manufacturers for building bigger phones. Something like 'If an Android manufacturer does it, it's pointless - but when Apple does it, it's magical and revolutionary'.

Phone sizes larger than 3.5" were too big when the iPhone 4 and 4S were the 'perfect size'. Then Apple released the 4" and THAT became the 'perfect size'.

Now, due to overwhelming popularity of large screen devices, Apple have obviously been forced into producing a larger phone. Many Apple users are welcoming the change, while others are insisting that it'll be too big, 4" is perfect etc.

3. deadolive macrumors member

I jumped to Android for a short time for the "bigger screen" but I couldn't deal with the Android operating system. I will welcome the bigger screen of a iPhone.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

People assume that we are all one homogeneous group that share the same opinion. If many in the past were happy with a smaller screen, and many now are eager for a larger screen, it doesn't necessarily mean individuals have changed their minds. But if they have, it doesn't matter. We are free to change our preferences.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Maybe, just maybe mind you, some people really are happy with the size of the screen now. You're probably right and all iPhone owners are whiny and insecure, but let's not completely disregard the former possibility too.

:rolleyes:

6. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Agreed. I have used Android many times trying out their devices. Its not that it is a bad device, or OS. I just am more comfortable with the iOS system, iTunes, and all. I am really looking forward to the new device size.

7. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I've always wanted a bigger screen. Ever since Android's started coming out with bigger screens I've been envious. I have jumped ship several times due to screen size only to come crawling back to iOS within the month because I prefer iOS over Android.

Now that we are most likely seeing a bigger screen I am beyond excited! Everybody has a different ideal of what is too big or just right for a screen size. I prefer to just have one device that functions as my phone and tablet, so a 5.5" iPhone will fit this nicely (used a Note 3 for a month and saw no need for my tablet during that time).

I think the people squawking about "not wanting a bigger screen" are the people that bashed Samsung, HTC etc for having 5"+ phones and don't want to see their beloved Apple following the trend. ;)

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I've used the bigger Android phones as well; they're not as comfortable to me and I'm not able to use them one-handed due to complications with carpal tunnel. I'm not excited about the bigger screens on the iPhone but I'll live with them.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Or maybe some of us still think 3.5 inches is the best size and 4 inches was a massive error, which Apple are only compounding.

And it's no particular love for Apple - if I could find a full specced 3.5 inch screen Android phone I'd abandon iOS in a heartbeat.

10. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Because when the children from the Android forums come over here to poke sticks at us, the children on this forum respond with whatever Apple tells them to say.

Us adults read that stuff and just move along.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

What exactly would you use a phone with such a tiny screen for? Why would it need to be full-specced? Today's mid-spec (and even low-spec) phones manage the basics.

12. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

A smaller screen phone is used for the same things that a larger screen phone is used for. It should be just as powerful as its large screen cousins.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Surely the phone just won't be used for some tasks that folk with a much bigger screen will use it for? A 4" screen is no good for certain things and I would suspect that people who want a 4" screen don't use their phones for much more than the very occasional Google search, other than calls/SMS/email.

14. draugminaion macrumors regular

draugminaion

I'm not sure what the popularity of large screens on Android really means. Bigger phones are easier to make than smaller ones. It might be that many people buy big phones because it is too hard to make an iPhone sized Android phone that doesn't suck.

How many people actually prefer a larger phone? I'd say 30% max.

Also remember, the first iPhone was considered "monstrously large". But phones have become more capable and people are doing more on them so moving to larger screens makes sense.

15. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

The only thing that I can think of that is better on a large screen phone is watching a movie. BUT, at this point, I would go on record as saying that even a tablet doesn't provide enough screen space to provide an immersive experience - for movies or TV.

I use my phone for a lot of things. It's my main device when I'm not at a desktop sized screen. You will never find me editing a document on a phone, but you will never find me doing it on a tablet either. I like to sit at a desk, and work on a "real" keyboard with a large screen.

What do you you consider to be better on a large screen phone?

16. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually most people prefer a larger screen, that's why so many people ditched the iPhone like me.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Define "so many" and "most". I'll bet you can't.

There is a line between usability, portability and battery life with size. I'd be willing to buy a larger IOS phone the size of my 5s with a mophie provided the battery life was the same as my 5s with a mophie. Otherwise I'll stick with the 5s form factor.

18. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

More people than buy new iphones every year, that many.
    Also, everyone I know that has a cellphone. Except like two people that still think having an iphone makes them elite which is just lame.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

Okay, I can see where this going. Really no "facts" to back up your "factoid".

20. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How are those not facts?
    Is this how you respond to people in real life, like demand they pull out a tablet with a specific link to a source? I mean this is just every day obvious stuff.

Here, the first link I found

http://www.christianpost.com/news/g...-galaxy-s5-users-switched-from-iphone-118203/

just about s5 users too.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes that us how I respond when nonsense and generalities is posted. Did you look for a link to see how many switched back or who made a mistake and are now unhappy. While I'm sure there are people who go for same specific phone size, there are people who buy IOS because of the companies reputation.

Fwiw, to me that article is a factoid. However if you believe your assertion to the core, then who am I to dissuade you. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying you can't prove you're right, which is a difference.

22. ZombiePete, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

What an absolute crock. We've been using iPhones with 4" screens or less for years and it's never been a hindrance to anyone unless they made it one themselves. There's a certain level of narcissism in your post that is really telling.

23. draugminaion macrumors regular

draugminaion

There are also lots of people saying 'no way' to a phablet.
    I'd never get the bigger iPhone6 myself, for example.
    Apple sells more iPhones than Samsung sells Galaxy S.
    iPhone's size is plenty popular, why does Samsung not got after those customers with a decent iPhone sized phone? Samsung makes a lot of different phones why not one more for this lucrative segment? My guess is they don't because they can't.

24. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

About selling more than galaxy S..well, that's not saying much is it? One model out of one brand out of countless other models from a bunch of other brands.

Phablet no, but certainly a bigger screen.

What kind of logic is they can't? Of course they can, that makes no sense. But why when people like bigger screens?

----------

Well have fun with trying to have normal conversations with people.

25. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Isn't the iPhone one model of one brand? You want to compare Apples to Androids ignoring that Apple is an OEM and Android is a platform; it absolutely makes more sense to compare Apple to Samsung.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.