Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Isn't the iPhone one model of one brand? You want to compare Apples to Androids ignoring that Apple is an OEM and Android is a platform; it absolutely makes more sense to compare Apple to Samsung.

That doesn't make sense really.
Why? We're comparing people buying large screen phones vs tiny iphones.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You either want a bigger screen or you don't. Or you follow what Apple says regardless, which simply means you'll be 2 years behind the curve of technology which is where Apple seems to be at nowadays.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
About selling more than galaxy S..well, that's not saying much is it? One model out of one brand out of countless other models from a bunch of other brands.
Apart from the Galaxy S class phones, all Samsung's phones are Android-is-the-new-Symbian phones, today's feature-phones., cheap 'good enough' phones. No other brand has Galaxy S class phones that sell in significant numbers.
Phablet no, but certainly a bigger screen.

What kind of logic is they can't? Of course they can, that makes no sense. But why when people like bigger screens?
The logic is: Even if most people like bigger screens (which I doubt) there are still a lot that like iPhone's size. Samsung goes after lots of other customer preferences, why not iPhone Size + Galaxy S performance? Why did they not make a Galaxy mini that doesn't suck for example? And even if Samsung is not interested you'd expect some other Android brand to try.

Looks like iPhone size + Galaxy S class + Android is too hard. My guess is: because to get decent performance from Android you need more MHz/cores/RAM (than iOS), so more battery, so bigger phone.

----------

That doesn't make sense really.
Why? We're comparing people buying large screen phones vs tiny iphones.
Did you know that the first iPhone was considered "monstrously large"?
Did you know that Samsung worried about this when they were cloning the iPhone?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
It's really really really weird that you people are still thinking people don't want larger screens. I mean REALLY delusional.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Looks like iPhone size + Galaxy S class + Android is too hard. My guess is: because to get decent performance from Android you need more MHz/cores/RAM (than iOS), so more battery, so bigger phone.

While a good guess, my guess would be about the money. If there was money in a small-screen Android along those lines, it would exist in the market. They all want to make as much money as they can.

While people here are very passionate about 4" now (and 3.5" back when it was the one and only "perfect" size), I'm doubting the same level of passion for <=4" shows itself beyond the Apple faithful. Someone might lob sales volume numbers for iPhone units to counter but 4" is the ONLY choice if one wants iPhone. If 4" is what the masses want, this 4.7" and 5.5" launch should be a massive failure. However, I think we all know- even those most passionate here- that it won't flop. Personally, I think it will be "best iPhone ever" and draw back a lot of people who went to Android for bigger screens but would rather have iOS (on bigger screens).

And I doubt that 4" screen-size passion will persist as soon as Apple endorses the new "perfect" size(s) coming soon. Personally, I have great expectations that the masses here will readily jump on 4.7" as the ideal "small" screen and 5.5" as the ideal "large" screen and/or ideal middle between phone and tablet. I expect much of this angst about "too big", "need new pants with bigger pockets", "one-handed use" etc will pretty much evaporate within a few days of Apple announcing 4.7" and 5.5", to be replaced by a ton of "which one should I buy?" and "now that I've actually seen one" threads gushing love of the new models. Not much later, I expect "how did we ever get by with such puny screens" if Apple retires the 4" altogether (else, that will wait until they do retire the 4").

I suspect that Samsung, etc are smart enough to recognize that building such a small-screen phone would not sell that well, either by capitulating dominance of that size to Apple or by already having tested it by observing what sold in prior generations of large vs. small Android phones. If they are capitulating 4", they are probably sweating the rumor of Apple taking bites of market share with new sizes at 4.7" and 5.5". If they've shifted focus to bigger screens because smaller ones didn't sell that well to the masses, Apple is just about to benefit from the same kind of test (even with it's own following… including the people that frequent this site).

A few people seem to be clinging to the idea that iPhone 6 will also include a 4" model as loaded as the bigger-screened versions. Personally, I doubt that but I half hope that Apple does roll it out. 3 head-to-head, comparably loaded iPhones that mostly differ by screen sizes would be the ultimate test of this perception of <=4" is "perfection". But, per what we learned in the Samsung trial, even Apple has acknowledged that the market they covet wants bigger-screened phones. I think a good chunk of "us" just missed that very telling reveal from them. So "we" still cling to the official "perfect" of 4" because that is what Apple has for sale right now.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I don't want a larger screen, you knucklehead. Am I not a person? Why are you dehumanizing me!?!?

Seriously though? You wouldn't want more screen space?

That's the point of this thread though. Are people saying that because they're insecure about their current iPhone, or do they have a legitimate reason for wanting a small screen?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Seriously though? You wouldn't want more screen space?

Seriously, dude. I have mild carpal tunnel that makes using phones with larger screens one-handed uncomfortable to downright painful at times; my grip strength is also lessened so it's harder for me to hold a bigger phone as securely as I can my current iPhone. I'm not saying I can't deal; I've had several Android phones that were 4.7" or bigger and though I had to primarily use them two-handed, I managed. However, the current iPhone configuration perfectly meets my needs, and I have never looked at the screen and thought that it was too small to do what I need to do, from reading websites to playing games to everything else you can use a smartphone to do. On top that, I can do it one-handed comfortably.

That's the point of this thread though. Are people saying that because they're insecure about their current iPhone, or do they have a legitimate reason for wanting a small screen?

What a narcissistic attitude, that if people don't agree with you it's just because they're insecure and need validation. You have it all figured out, and despite the fact that several people have said that they legitimately don't want a bigger phone your response is "Seriously, though?". Try to gain a wider perspective than your own narrow viewpoint, kid.

----------

You DO call yourself ZombiePete... :p

Oh, so zombies aren't people too? That's zombist.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I really don't care what people thinks.. its simple, either you're buying the 6 or not. LULZ

SuperSport

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
USA
My reasoning for a larger screen is that it's MUCH easier to type on and to see things. I've used Apple, Android, AND Windows Phone. I have to admit, about 5" is the perfect screen size for me. That's assuming the bezels are small enough to keep the phone pocket-able.

I'm sure Apple will do a great job of this, and I'm also sure that MOST of the people that think larger screens are stupid will soon jump on the band wagon of loving the new screen sizes. 5.5" might be a little too large, but who knows, Apple is good at making devices that just work.

Just this month, I've gone back to an iPhone 5 from an LG G2. I decided I wanted to get back into the Groove before the iPhone 6's were announced so that I'm all ready for the upgrade.

Love 'em or Hate 'em, Apple does make a quality product. Personally, I wanted Windows Phone to make it, but they are so far behind and I don't see them coming around any time soon. Their OS is pretty amazing, but without the Apps or Industry support, they are doomed to remain 3rd place.

----------

Oh, so zombies aren't people to? That's zombist.
Oops! Didn't mean to be zombist. My mother would be slapping me in the back of the head right now if she heard that... :D

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
I suspect that Samsung, etc are smart enough to recognize that building such a small-screen phone would not sell that well, ...
But Samsung is selling small-screen phones.
Why not iPhone/GalaxyS class performance small-screen phones?
Why would these not sell well? They sell well when they have iOS, why not for Android?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Seriously, dude. I have mild carpal tunnel that makes using phones with larger screens one-handed uncomfortable to downright painful at times; my grip strength is also lessened so it's harder for me to hold a bigger phone as securely as I can my current iPhone. I'm not saying I can't deal; I've had several Android phones that were 4.7" or bigger and though I had to primarily use them two-handed, I managed. However, the current iPhone configuration perfectly meets my needs, and I have never looked at the screen and thought that it was too small to do what I need to do, from reading websites to playing games to everything else you can use a smartphone to do. On top that, I can do it one-handed comfortably.

What a narcissistic attitude, that if people don't agree with you it's just because they're insecure and need validation. You have it all figured out, and despite the fact that several people have said that they legitimately don't want a bigger phone your response is "Seriously, though?". Try to gain a wider perspective than your own narrow viewpoint, kid.

----------

Oh, so zombies aren't people to? That's zombist.

yeah, that's pretty much how I view things for a lot of people.

Did you really tack on a , kid at the end? good god.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
LULZ @ this thread...

popcorn.jpg

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
But Samsung is selling small-screen phones.
Why not iPhone/GalaxyS class performance small-screen phones?
Why would these not sell well? They sell well when they have iOS, why not for Android?

There's no solid answer to the question. Maybe the whole world wants iOS but at various screen sizes rather than the one size that Apple would deem "perfect"?

Maybe in market testing, the profitable market for Android phones is at the large screen sizes and jamming GalaxyS-class tech into a <=4" screen size is not expected to sell very well?

If Samsung believed there was profit in it, they'd be there. If they believed there was profit in Tiffany Blue phones with Mary Kay Pink stripes, they'd be there. They're not. So they don't believe there is profit in it. I certainly don't believe the obstacle is because Samsung CAN'T fit it into a small-screened phone box. Samsung- love 'em or hate 'em- are masters of making electronics. It's why Apple has worked with them so heavily in the past… and why it is so hard for Apple to cut all ties even when both were in thermonuclear mode.

Some of us tend to think the whole world sees 4" as perfect because that's how "we" see it (because that's what Apple has told us). I don't think the masses see any screen size as perfect- just as it is with screens on other things (TVs, desktops, laptops, movie theaters, billboards, etc). I think Samsung/Android has done well by offering a variety of choices and lower prices. People have then purchased whatever they like. For the masses, price is probably as/more important as screen size on the Android side. These phones guts are mostly battery. To pack iPhone or Android into a 2.5" screen could be done by just shrinking battery or shrinking the case width & height but adding depth.

If the masses were so against >4", all those models over 4" would have died out long ago. Instead they seem to just keep on coming. Why? The money. Why is Apple going there in spite of poking negative at them and spinning concepts like one-handed use in marketing to sell what Apple wants the masses to want? The money.

If Apple believes 3.5" was perfect (like it once spun) and that 4" is perfect (as it now spins), the iPhone 6 would have 3.5" and 4" versions. The rumors make it seem like that's not going to happen. Why? Wallets are speaking. Apparently the high-profit smart phone sales are increasingly in phones with screen sizes >4". Even Apple has acknowledged this.

Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Or maybe some of us still think 3.5 inches is the best size and 4 inches was a massive error, which Apple are only compounding.

And it's no particular love for Apple - if I could find a full specced 3.5 inch screen Android phone I'd abandon iOS in a heartbeat.

Now THAT is funny. :p 4 inches was a massive error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.