Why So Many Geeks Do Not Get the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NebulaClash, Mar 4, 2011.

1. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

As I said a year ago on this site, and as Steve Jobs said this week, we are now living in the Post-PC world. Oh sure, tons of PCs still sell, but they are no more the industry and consumer focus than are mainframes (which also continue to sell). The reason so many people online do not get the iPad is because they are used to thinking in the PC era, and they have not yet accepted and realized that we are now living in the Post-PC era, or as I call it the Tablet Era.

People love to throw spec sheets at the iPad to say why it is inadequate, as if that has anything to do with anything in the Post-PC era. That is PC era thinking. It no longer applies. Think about buying a car. In the early days you had to be an enthusiast to know anything about cars, and a good mechanic too. That's not true today. Hardly anyone goes into a dealership and decides based upon ignition timing specs compared to the competition. No, people go to the dealership and decide based on features, and how the car performs, and how it looks, the reputation of the manufacturer, and the price, and based on what they are used to. The mechanics of the world might still look at specs, but the vast majority of car buyers do not know and do not need to know what is under the hood.

Tablet buyers today want to know how it performs, what features it has, how it looks, the reputation of the manufacturer and the price. Not on spec sheets. The iPad performs well, has the features people enjoy, looks fantastic, comes from the manufacturer with the best reputation for quality, is priced cheaper than or equal to anyone else, and comes from the company that makes that great music player and phone.

Geeks will continue to rant and rail about how the iPad doesn't perform well when they browse, doesn't have the feature THEY want, that Apple is Teh Evil, and is grossly and greedily overpriced. The other 95% of humanity won't have a clue what they are talking about, and will continue to buy iPads in record numbers.

Nobody cares what's under the hood of today's handheld devices. They just want it to work. The iPad does that very, very well. And we see how the market responds in today's Post-PC era.

Apple gets it. How long will it take for the geeks to realize that spec sheets no longer matter?

2. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Geeks hate Apple to begin with. The only reason the iPad sells because it is Apple. Let's be honest, if Motorola had the Xoom out before the iPad, no one would have touched it.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i disagree. i'm quite sure a TON of people would have jumped on the train. It is all presentation. Marketing is a huge thing now a days. This is where Apple trumps everyone. they've made a name for themselves, now everyone else is trying to catch up.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Apple should just make Geek-specific ads to appease them.

"SGX543 MP2, the FASTEST MOBILE GPU on the market.

Feel like boasting your l33t GFX power? Get the iPad 2 NOW!"

List the gazillion polygons and G+ pixels the chip can push. Pay John Carmark and Epic Games for improved versions of Rage3D and Infinity Blade optimized for the new chip. Run demos and put up screen shots. Problem solved and geeks are happy. :)

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You've been sucked into the Apple Zone. Steve Jobs rhetoric will fade when he is no longer running Apple. Theres no one in technology that can spin the RDF like Jobs. That is good and bad, especially bad because I loath to see what the other technology "giants" will come up with. Once no Jobs, it will business as usual, however dull that might be.

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

sinsin,

Do you really think jobs will not "Train" the upcoming CEO? do you think he will reccommend a flap to replace him? Jobs is but one man, he is surrounded by people he feels can carry on his legacy. just my .02

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

In some ways, this reminds me of stereo equipment back in the 70s and 80s.

The Stereo Geeks were the same. Always comparing specs. Always comparing systems. Things like A or A-B amplifiers were important. Even the volume control (how it was done) was a big issue.

Today, most individual just use a system and enjoy it, be it their car, home and portable player.

Eventually, this will be the same with PCs. How soon it will happen is anybody's guess.

Sure there will always be the Geeks who custom build their systems. Just like those who custom build their stereos (saw one custom built for around $250,000 a few years ago). But my guess is that the majority will just use their devices and enjoyed them, and not be worried about the specs.

9. al1cre macrumors member

Er... He did choose Scully to run Apple once. He's very good at marketing and he has a vision and timing. Only time will tell if someone else can take the baton.

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

One thing that puzzles me though is even when Apple does give you some of best specs, like with the iPhone 3GS and the iPad 1&2 where Apple had absolutely fastest chips on the market, the geeks aren't happy. I always thought they'd be the first ones to appreciate the processor speed - after all processor speed is usually the most important spec in a computer, not to mention some of best displays around with the IPS LCD. I'm beginning to think it's just fashionable to hate on Apple just as it was with Bill Gates back in the 90s.

11. highdough macrumors regular

It's 33% thinner and 15% lighter.

12. gwangung macrumors 65816

This is not marketing.

Apple DOES do marketing well. But it does actual marketing: knowing what the buyer wants (NOT what they say they want) and giving them a product that obviously meets those needs.

Too many people think marketing is spec sheets or razzle dazzle. It's not...and that's why Apple succeeds at marketing.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

You're trying to justify whatever Apple is doing is the right thing. There's no way you can justify 256MB RAM on iPad is a right move. It is MERE MARKETING. Many people will buy second gen because first gen has problems showing pages with a lot of images. So what happens is Apple will millions of 2nd gen just the way they sold 1st gen. If they had provided those features in the 1st gen, for second gen they had to provide something new. Instead they split 1st gen into two and doubled the sales.

Without specs there is no software, hardware is what aids the software. So, we do care about specs. And when I'm buying a car, I do see the technical spec sheet. And everyone I've seen care, its just that geeks care about this more.

Spec sheet of Apple products is always disappointing because of their wait-for-next-gen, there's no way of justifying that Apple's move is correct. And if you ask why Apple products sell, its not that people don't care about hardware, its because their software quality is UNPARALLELED. Though I've to agree that quite a lot of people don't care about the technical stuff.

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Then why isn't there much talk about Apple's A5 chip, which has the fastest graphics on the market now? If they cared so much about hardware, wouldn't that be something really important, even more so than the amount of RAM for many spec lovers?

To me it just seems people trying to justify their hatred of Apple. If they cared so much for hardware, how come they don't give Apple credits for having the best chip and the best display tech among tablets? Aren't the display and the processor arguably the most important hardware for a tablet?

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

im a geek and i feel the specs of the ipad may be inferior to other tablets but it still runs better. just the best programing money can buy. also i like the simplicity of the UI. so i might just be the exception, even though i love everything apple ill be willing to put up the white flag if i find another product has met my needs better.

16. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

If you take time to see PC forums, trashing iPad because of its hardware has reduced considerably, its because they now don't have a reason to flame Apple. iPad 2 in every way is a win, price, performance, quality, apps, etc. But PC guys don't appreciate iPad 2 because they hate Apple, I agree on that point..

17. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Geeks don't like iOS products because they don't cater to the power user; by default, the iPhone and iPad don't allow geeks to customize it exactly to their liking and do exactly what they want with it. That's why Android and Linux are popular among geeks.

And it's more of how Apple's attitude and their fans' attitudes are, rather than their products itself I think (although the attitudes of them toward Apple aren't necessarily great either).

18. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Apple is hugh on technology that are effective. Apple is more than likely to rid of technology that is "crap" like floppy disk or "flash". Look at the MacBook pro. It is not made of "cheap" plastic. I have not seen other computers made of aluminium or other metal. True "Quality" is what Apple is all about. Apple likes to create products as much as possible with their own parts and software. They are like "creating" technological babies. I am a geek and I do get it. Granted, I am not a software engineer.

I guess not all companies can do both software and hardware.

19. al1cre macrumors member

How many here hate Microsoft? Likely more than a few and it's been that way since the early days of the two companies. Why does either side have to bash the other? Why do so many people take a "Them or us" attitude about this kind of thing? You write "They hate Apple." Look back at the whole history of the PC vs the Mac. PCs were expandable. In the beginning there were so many people making cards, and software to connect PCs to just about everything. There was equivalent accessibility in the software. Developers had a great deal of freedom to do whatever they wanted or needed to do on a PC. A lot of them did it poorly and stability suffered. When the Mac came out it was a closed box. No expansion to the hardware and very little to the UI. Do it the Apple way or don't bother. Limiting options makes a lot of things easier for Apple and the user and with fewer drivers, etc it was a lot more stable. Of course the lack of expansion cost Apple a lot of market share at the time. Some people like to tinker and take control. If that weren't the case, there'd be no Linux. Some people want to do things that Apple doesn't want you to. That's not the kind of experience that Apple offers (that's why there's jailbreaking). With Apple you get an elegant simplicity and stability in return for the control that Apple keeps for itself. Everyone decides for themselves and it's silly to judge someone for appreciating different things.

Both hardware and software development is ALL about trade-offs. Price/performance/battery life/time to market/flexibility/etc. Some people "...dont appreciate iPad 2" simply because they weigh the trade-offs differently. There are things I really like about the iPad and things I wish were different. It's not a perfect device but it's a very nice device for what it is. Saying that doesn't make me an Apple hater. Quite the contrary, I have a Touch and an iPad and I'm very happy with them.

Steve Jobs isn't the Messiah. Apple isn't perfect. The iPhone/Touch/iPad are very good but even if they do everything you want or need, doesn't mean that's true for everyone. That doesn't make them haters or trolls.

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

So the majority of iPad and Apple customers are clueless and buy only because of the marketing hype? :D

21. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I'm not declaring anyone hater or troll, its always that PC guys hate Apple. They find one or the other thing to trash Apple. This time they couldn't find any, OS is good, apps are great, good hardware. They're not complaining now and thats what I pointed out.

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

I think it's worth pointing out that there are different kinds of geeks. There are mature geeks who appreciate cool technology in general regardless of who makes it or how esoterically "technical" it actually is. Then there are immature geeks who call people fanboys and don't like any technology that their moms can figure out.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Since when does Steve Jobs declaring the end of an era actually mean the end of an era?

24. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That is logical isn't it? Who else would hate Apple, Apple customers?

25. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If specs translated into readily appreciable real world performance differences, those touting numbers would have a point. But Jobs has a point when he touts the intersection of liberal arts and technology. When something works, people respond.

And really, "geeks"? Name calling lowers one to those who hate just because a product is from Apple.