Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It's not really hate; the new iMac is just a rather boring incremental upgrade.

But why not bash Apple a bit? Is there a more pompous uber-rich company out there? Many of us like most of their products, and have a considerable amount invested in their software, so we are entitled to criticize, and they invite criticism (those Samsung in-line-for-iphones commercials are good examples).

And there are still a lot of Apple fans from the "think different" days who are bound to be disappointed with Apple now that they are a MS-like juggernaut of conformity. Yes, I grant you things like the iPad are good designs. But it's not revolutionary.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Because people are bored and dont have anything to do. Also mad because they cant afford a new Mac and are on this forum fronting. Or they really just dont like the new iMac. I think this about covers it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
uh, you mean apple’s sheeps had nothing to do w/ it?
It's up to any company to decide what it wants to charge for its products.
It's up to any consumer to decide what they're willing to pay for a product.
Supply and demand. Apple charges what it does because people are willing to pay the prices. If that weren't true, Apple would have to adjust their prices so their products would sell. You may choose to call Apple customers "sheep", but it boils down to what a product is worth to the buyer. Obviously, Apple's prices are reasonable enough that millions are willing to pay them.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It's up to any company to decide what it wants to charge for its products.
It's up to any consumer to decide what they're willing to pay for a product.
Supply and demand. Apple charges what it does because people are willing to pay the prices. If that weren't true, Apple would have to adjust their prices so their products would sell. You may choose to call Apple customers "sheep", but it boils down to what a product is worth to the buyer. Obviously, Apple's prices are reasonable enough that millions are willing to pay them.

Why bother explaining basic economics to school kids?

If people could not understand the basics of a free market by living in one in the first place, then I think you're wasting your time explaining it.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I think there's several reasons.

There are the people who are upset because Steve didn't call them from beyond the grave to check on their requirements first. And so, when it didn't have exactly what they wanted, they got sad.

There are others who whipped themselves into a state of frenzy over the longer than usual wait and imagined more and more greater things were in store. So, when it fell short of solving world hunger, they got sad too.

And the Buddha said that the source of all unhappiness was unfulfilled expectations. Of course, it wasn't Apple setting those expectations it was speculation here and elsewhere.

And finally, there are the people who live in Microsoft Land who really love an opportunity to tell you that you could have made your own computer out of tin foil and string for less than half the price and it would have given you twice the performance. They're the people who are happy to bash the new iMac.

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
oh, believe me there are more reasons to call it like it is to Apple since they pay little to nothing in Income Tax. for a corporation that makes huge profits like Apple is just a sin!

(and i have always used mac and only pc for certain things or work)

It's not really hate; the new iMac is just a rather boring incremental upgrade.

But why not bash Apple a bit? Is there a more pompous uber-rich company out there? Many of us like most of their products, and have a considerable amount invested in their software, so we are entitled to criticize, and they invite criticism (those Samsung in-line-for-iphones commercials are good examples).

And there are still a lot of Apple fans from the "think different" days who are bound to be disappointed with Apple now that they are a MS-like juggernaut of conformity. Yes, I grant you things like the iPad are good designs. But it's not revolutionary.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
oh, believe me there are more reasons to call it like it is to Apple since they pay little to nothing in Income Tax. for a corporation that makes huge profits like Apple is just a sin!

(and i have always used mac and only pc for certain things or work)

Hahahahahahhahahahaahahhahahahahahah. Thanks for this. It's brilliant. You're incredibly naive for someone that claims to be old enough to work. Corporations aren't charities. You clearly should move to a communist paradise, such as North Korea. Unfortunately all of the other communist paradises have collapsed, because it's a system that only works in theory. If you're looking for charity, then you should contact the Salvation Army, or a similar organisation.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Standard reaction surrounding every iMac release

I have only been an Apple user since 2009, so I consider myself a newbie. Yet I see the following unmistakable pattern surrounding every release of a new iMac:

1. For a long time prior to the release, there is vast speculation, wish-listing, and pining about "when is it coming - not soon enough?" and "should I buy - should I wait?"

2. The iMac is released.

3. Roughly half of the postings at MacRumors show great love, and "I am ordering ASAP".

4. Other have of the postings hate it, and give forth various rants, about the deficiencies.

Only after the dust settles can a consensus opinion form. At the moment I am leaning towards ordering the 2011 refurb. But will wait and see.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have only been an Apple user since 2009, so I consider myself a newbie. Yet I see the following unmistakable pattern surrounding every release of a new iMac:

1. For a long time prior to the release, there is vast speculation, wish-listing, and pining about "when is it coming - not soon enough?" and "should I buy - should I wait?"

2. The iMac is released.

3. Roughly half of the postings at MacRumors show great love, and "I am ordering ASAP".

4. Other have of the postings hate it, and give forth various rants, about the deficiencies.

Only after the dust settles can a consensus opinion form. At the moment I am leaning towards ordering the 2011 refurb. But will wait and see.

That is a correct summation. I am going to find another sub-forum until the dust settles.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your post displays a naiveté about the free enterprise system. There is no law that limits how much profit a company can make or how much income tax they can legally avoid.

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Paying one's fair share is Charity? You must be one of the Ayn Rand wanna be.

And a Corporation is a person? (Google Citizens United if ur clueless)

Hahahahahahhahahahaahahhahahahahahah. Thanks for this. It's brilliant. You're incredibly naive for someone that claims to be old enough to work. Corporations aren't charities. You clearly should move to a communist paradise, such as North Korea. Unfortunately all of the other communist paradises have collapsed, because it's a system that only works in theory. If you're looking for charity, then you should contact the Salvation Army, or a similar organisation.

----------

oh boy,
thanks for the lesson on the so called free enterprise. look at where it got us.

but anyways, back to the new iMac!

Your post displays a naiveté about the free enterprise system. There is no law that limits how much profit a company can make or how much income tax they can legally avoid.

henjin

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Apple business plan is to squeeze with little offered

Only on the midrange and only as an option. The GPUs only have 512MB on the 21" which will be a pain for gaming going forward. Compared to the last iMac introduced 18 months ago, they are poor value, IMO. The 27" is better and will be beastly with the 680MX but it will be extremely expensive for what it is and outdated by new tech 4 or 5 months later.

the iMacs make the HP Z1 look amazing. Even DELL has come up with better options all based on the iMac invention.

Why cannot Apple customers have the option to plug and play upgrades from GPU to RAM?

Apple's new business plan is to squeeze every last cent but even DELL offers more now with their new W8 iMac style computers.

I'm saying that Apple is making life very difficult for content creators who use iMacs as secondary computers for basic design work. The new MacBook Pro Retina business plan, with its endless dongles sprawling from neat aluminum, the loss of post sales memory upgrades, difficult SSD upgrades, all show us a time when Apple will seal its boxes and make upgrades only at time of purchase.

Add to that the usual Apple stingy upgrades when we know better GPUs are available, cheaper, and in use right now.

Apple's designs are great of course, I am using a MacBook Air right now...but Apple is being stingy considering the profits. Apple is not Bang Olufsen.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Paying one's fair share is Charity?
There is no such thing as "one's fair share". Each person or company has the legal and moral right to pay only those taxes that they are legally required to pay. If they qualify to pay less in taxes, it is financially irresponsible to pay more.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Thin??? Thin???

Is it just me or do I see a big hump in the back where the stand meets the back of the computer? The edges are thing but the machine isn't thin cos it bulges which makes its real thickness not thin. The glass part is really thin but overall how can people say the computer is thin? It is a mini pyramid on it's side, like those old TV's when my grandma was growing up.:confused:

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
It's hardly outdated. Any of these iMacs will be perfectly fine to use for a long time. If you're the type to constantly chase the latest and thinks that a new graphics card is necessary every 6 months, then an all in one is not the solution.

6 months? I predict new release games at the end of 2014 can only be played at minimum visuals on anything less than the $1999 model.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Is it just me or do I see a big hump in the back where the stand meets the back of the computer? The edges are thing but the machine isn't thin cos it bulges which makes its real thickness not thin. The glass part is really thin but overall how can people say the computer is thin? It is a mini pyramid on it's side, like those old TV's when my grandma was growing up.:confused:

It's not just you and it's been discussed all over the place. Where else do you think all of the bits and bobs that hold 1s and 0s are?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's already been discussed here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1474101/

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Oh, u mean when some corp pay on average like 12% and some little to nothing. While the rest of average working people pay around 20-25%?
—And the laws are set up that way and those groups aggressively lobby to keep them that way? Talk about clueless!
PLEASE

There is no such thing as "one's fair share". Each person or company has the legal and moral right to pay only those taxes that they are legally required to pay. If they qualify to pay less in taxes, it is financially irresponsible to pay more.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh, u mean when some corp pay on average like 12% and some little to nothing. While the rest of average working people pay around 20-25%?
—And the laws are set up that way and those groups aggressively lobby to keep them that way? Talk about clueless!
PLEASE
The fact remains, it's legal, whether you agree with the laws or not. If you don't like the laws, vote.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
For my part i certainly don't "hate" the new iMac, it does look rather nice. Although what i dont like is the fact that if i want to replace my Late 2009 model (the first base 21.5 model) with the new base model i have to step down to a SLOWER hard drive and inaccessible RAM. Unless:

1: I just buy it anyway and pretend not to care that i bought a computer with an inferior hard drive than a 3 year old one. Let Apple charge me extortionate amounts for extra RAM i cant upgrade later.
2: Buy the more expensive model, which would give me a faster hard drive for £250 more (plus the aformentioned RAM) I would also need to do this for the option to BTO a Fusion Drive (add another £200)
3: Order a 27inch iMac which has the same performance 7200rpm drive and user accessible RAM for ONLY £500 more than i paid for it 3 years ago..... :(

I understand fully that im in a minority here, most people dont give a crap about this sort of thing and the others who care more about what it looks like will disagree. Overall though these things are deal breakers for me, so i just ordered a Mini instead :D

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
PLEASE

So long as the company isn't actually breaking any laws, this really isn't the place for a corporate tax policy discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.