Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) that has 500GB SSD in it and I would like to upgrade the storage to 1TB SSD.

I was checking prices for SSD drives, compared to other laptop SSD, those produced for Apple (OWC, Transcend) are considerably more expensive than Samsung et al.

Why is that?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why is that?
Because they can. Simple as that, Apple has always charged a premium for component upgrades, whether we're talking about ram or storage. Back in the day, it was conventinal wisdom to buy a base machine, then buy the ram/storage elsewhere to upgrade, but now that everything is soldered onto the logic board, Apple has a captive audience.

makr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Because they can. Simple as that, Apple has always charged a premium for component upgrades, whether we're talking about ram or storage. Back in the day, it was conventinal wisdom to buy a base machine, then buy the ram/storage elsewhere to upgrade, but now that everything is soldered onto the logic board, Apple has a captive audience.

But those are third party components not produced by Apple, I'm comparing SSD prices between those compatible with my MacBook Pro and those are not produced for Apple devices.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But those are third party components not produced by Apple, I'm comparing SSD prices between those compatible with my MacBook Pro and those are not produced for Apple devices.
Apple does not produce their own components, such as memory from Samsung
[doublepost=1519996468][/doublepost]
I'm comparing SSD prices between those compatible with my MacBook Pro and those are not produced for Apple devices.
Yes apple chose to use a proprietary design for their SSDs, and so you are further locked in.

Reactions: makr

makr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Apple does not produce their own components, such as memory from Samsung
[doublepost=1519996468][/doublepost]
Yes apple chose to use a proprietary design for their SSDs, and so you are further locked in.

Ah I see, Thanks a lot!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ah I see, Thanks a lot!
Don't get me wrong, I do like MBPs, and apple with certainly has the fastest SSD speeds on the market but that doesn't change the fact that you're paying a premium for that. The question is whether its worth that price. We all have to make that judgement call.

You can for instance, pickup an external SSD and use that to suppliment the smaller one (if you don't upgrade it), but the downside is the complexity of using two drives and also needing to always carry that with your laptop

makr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I do like MBPs, and apple with certainly has the fastest SSD speeds on the market but that doesn't change the fact that you're paying a premium for that. The question is whether its worth that price. We all have to make that judgement call.

You can for instance, pickup an external SSD and use that to suppliment the smaller one (if you don't upgrade it), but the downside is the complexity of using two drives and also needing to always carry that with your laptop

The things is I happy with the performance of my MBP, its 15' retina display and when I ordered I configured it to the highest CPU and RAM options, at that time I didn't think I would need a SSD larger than 500GB, but today I'm hitting the limit.
Considering I use my laptop mainly for easy tasks, like internet, email, watching films and occasional photo editing. I feel like if I upgrade the SSD I may be able to use this laptop like 3-4 years, then it will be like 8-9 years old.
So that's my motive behind looking for an upgrade on SSD.
I already have an external hard drive, it's a good alternative but I often find myself leaving it behind.

You are right about paying the premium for Apple, I just like all my devices being in sync and compatible with each other. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have two options as I see it.
1. eBay. Look for an apple branded SSD for your 2013 MBP at a size that you can live with.
2. Buy Transcend SSD as they do offer a replacement for that model year. Later models the SSD is now soldered onto the logic board.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Simple: Apple has a monopoly on the Mac, Apple has always and continues to have very significant margins on in-house upgrades. For the professional users a non issue, for the average consumer not so good. Apple has zero concern as there's literally no other option short of leaving the platform and that's exactly what Apple counts on...

Q-6

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
It's not a huge market to make parts for, so the prices will be high. Basic economics.

Scumsung Hater

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Well, 2 months back when my mid-2015 15"MBP battery got bloated-up, I sent it in for repair (battery replacement). They did a diagnostic and informed me that the top casing also needs to be replaced, probably 'bent' by the bloated batteries. They also told me that the SSD also need to be replaced(!). I was like, huh? What's a bloated battery gotta do with the SSD? In any case, I'm happy I'll be getting a (hopefully) new SSD. So since they were going to replace it, I asked if it was possible upgrade my 512GB SSD to a 1TB SSD (of course I will be willing to pitch in some $$$ for the upgrade).
Guess how much they quote me to upgrade from 512GB to 1TB?
$2,500(!) (Singapore dollars)
My GOD! I could use that money to buy a brand new MBP!
Apple parts are darn expensive! What else can we do? In the end, I replaced the SSD with a sintech adapter and a 1TB Toshiba XG4.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Be aware that the "non-Apple" replacement drives have been reported to run hotter and slower.
YMMV.

Reactions: jerryk

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Well, 2 months back when my mid-2015 15"MBP battery got bloated-up, I sent it in for repair (battery replacement). They did a diagnostic and informed me that the top casing also needs to be replaced, probably 'bent' by the bloated batteries.

No diagnostic needed. The battery is glued into the topcase, Apple's official replacement for the battery on that model is to replace the topcase. I have access to a serial number for a mid-2015 15" and confirmed this through Apple directly.

While iFixit may describe removal of the battery, this is not an approved process from Apple.

Scumsung Hater

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Be aware that the "non-Apple" replacement drives have been reported to run hotter and slower.
YMMV.

I know, there will always be some trade-offs, it's slightly slower. Hotter? Not so sure on that, feels ok. But at least I've the capacity I wanted without paying an arm and a leg for the upgrade. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.