Why Steve Jobs never uses iPad for email?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agkm800, Nov 8, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Steve Jobs apparently answered another user email - regarding Xserve this time - 'Sent from my(=his) iPhone' once again.

At his age, it must be more difficult to see the smaller iPhone screen than the larger iPad screen, so I can't help not wondering why always the iPhone and not the iPad?

Of course I do not know whether he never uses iPad for email or not, but it makes one wonder for sure.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Maybe because his iPhone is always in his pocket and his iPad is in his office?

I thought for sure he sent one from his iPad a while back...

3. Medexten macrumors newbie

This is just speculation, but as an iPhone and iPad user I find it easier to respond to email via iPhone.

For me its a combination of two things...
    1) Its easier to pull an iPhone out of your pocket (or pick it up off a table) and check your email even if the iPad is sitting right next to it.
    2) Typing on the iphone is also a bit easier, I rarely if ever write on my iPad in portrait mode and writing in landscape while not difficult, is also a bit of a chore when compared to shooting off an email on the iPhone.

So, if I had to guess that would be the reason. [the iPad is a better device for consuming rather than composing]

That being said, I do use my iPad to write emails *especially longer ones*, but Jobs seems to rarely send out more than a couple lines in response to customers bickering about apple products.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I'd write anyone on an iPad over an iPhone every day.

I guess the answer is, I don't know but does it matter?

5. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

He's probably on the can when he writes them. ;-)

6. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Why???

Why such a thread?

Mark Zuckerberg recently said iPad is not mobile, so I thought it would be funny if this simply proves so.

Personally, I don't give a damn if Jobs uses Blackberry for email.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What evidence do you have that this _wasn't_ send from an iPad? Maybe _all_ his emails say "sent from my iPhone", wherever they come from.

8. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

He has sent a few from his iPad, he even done one in the keynote presentation showing off the iPad. I can see how it's more convenient though for him to just quickly reply to an email off his iPhone though

9. kenmarable macrumors member

I would be more concerned if his emails ended "Sent from your iPhone".
    ;)

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I seriously chuckled....thanks!

11. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Even Steve Jobs thinks the iPad is unnecessary.
    :D

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

How do you know that is even Steve replying to those e-mails. Are people totally sure that just because an e-mail is sent to sjobs@apple.com that it's Steve that's replying ?

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Because Steve was in an interview recently (I forget which one, although he doesn't do many) and I recall a conversation he had with the interviewer regarding his customer responses emails he infrequently engages in.

Steve really does write those replies.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

I personally think he's unwilling to spring for another 3G plan.

15. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

[​IMG]

I guess not.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

According to http://www.emailsfromstevejobs.com/, the vast majority of his emails do end with "Sent from my iPhone", there are a few that have "Sent from my iPad". (Most recently was in August.) And some of his have no such tag at the end, so MAY be from an actual Mac.

17. RobBookPro macrumors regular

That is there as yet another marketing exercise. When the ipad was released, there were a few sent from his ipad to generate hype (and it did).

Over the last few months apple have been bunkered down trying to prove that the iphone4 is not flawed. So he is using the iphone. Also, while they were in damage control for the iphone the ipad was completely sold out. There was not much point trying to sell something that was not available.

When ipad2 comes out, it will be back to sent from ipad. Then the next iphone will come out.

If apple tv ever supports emails expect to see some sent from his tv.

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

When all you type is one sentence replies....who needs a bigger keyboard?

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I look EXACTLY the same when using my iPhone....usually flip my glasses on top of my head to type on it. Either that or stretch my arms all the way out to hold it so I can read it.

Bifocals are coming, just a matter of vanity versus time.

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

You can get bifocal contact lenses - problem solved, vanity remains intact. Win-win.

21. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

• The retina display helps immensely with the iPhone. He probably types in landscape mode too; which is very easy.
    • Typing on the iPad is awful.

I own both these devices.

22. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

If the product demos are to be believed, his iPad is resting on his Corb armchair at home. :)

23. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think typing experience is highly subjective. I've written several essays and lab reports on the iPad and was just as happy doing it as with a real keyboard. I also love that I can switch between different language formats so easily.

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

On the other hand, at his age it is much more difficult to hold iPad than iPhone.