Why Still Only 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macUser2007, Sep 20, 2014.

1. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

With the move to 64bit, why are the new iPhone 6 models still with only 1GB of RAM on board?

Is this just squeezing every penny out to maintain profits, customers be damned? Or planned obsolescence, like in "And today we introduce the iPhone 6S, with the great new feature being 2GB of RAM, so iOS9 runs so much better on it!"

See this article from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-iphone-ios-ram-memory,27476.html

QUOTE:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know that increasing the RAM also slows down the processor BUT why did they choose the anemic 16GB as the low end and not 32GB? Who knows.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. Hal~9000, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

A few reasons:
    - Profits (heaven forbid you cost your company a couple more $$$ per device!)
    - Planned obsolescence (once the next few iOS updates come out and require 2gb of RAM to run smoothly, most will be compelled to upgrade from your now laggy iPhone 6)

Basically this GIF can describe it best, just imagine it's Tim Cook below ;)

[​IMG]

5. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I don't understand why people care about the ram. Unlike the Android skins (Samsung TouchWiz and HTC Sense) which not using 3 GB they lag. My iPhone 5 runs smooth on iOS 8. Apple doesnt have the ram demand.

6. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'd swear I had just read at least 10 other threads on this subject. Good thing another one was started. :p

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You've never had safari or another app have to reload when you were multitasking I take it. This happens quite often for me. That's lack of RAM.

8. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Safari is probably a software issue not ram. I'm sure the iPhone 8 will have more ram haha. Apple can make iOS 9.0 run on 1gb of ram again. Trust me.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple has never advertised how much RAM is in iDevices so I think it is mostly that they felt it was what was needed for the phone, and probably had nothing to do with them planning to start advertising how much RAM is in the 6S next year.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's a RAM issue. That's not debated. The more tabs you add the more it has issues keeping it all in memory.

11. 2IS macrumors 68030

Yes it does

12. macUser2007 thread starter macrumors 65832

Perhaps you should read the article posted, which discusses Apple's (pioneering) move to 64bit and the increased overhead resulting from this. We also have multitasking now....

I understand cost-cutting, but the 64gb iPhone 6 Plus I just ordered is almost $1000 by the time you pay taxes, so skimping on a part which costs a few cents more may come back to bite Apple. I would be certainly p!s$ed if next year I couldn't have my flashlight on while I am on the phone, because there is not enough RAM to keep both running at the same time.

Also, it's good to keep up with what the competition is doing (from the Tom's Hardware article):

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

http://www.icab-mobile.de/

Poof.

14. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

I know things run great, but despite that I really hope the iPhones next year have more RAM. I think even the upcoming iPads should have more RAM.

16. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

RAM is advertised indirectly when they say twice as fast or loads quicker.

17. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Sounds like the ******** Jobs would have spewed out!

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Until iOS allows us to change the default apps that's not a viable option. Thanks for the thought though.

19. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Actually, that's by design. Because of the way memory management is handled in Safari, the browser will reload inactive tabs in part to make any links, interactive elements, etc. are usable. Safari would do the same thing in 2GB of RAM as well because that's one of the ways Apple can continue to use 1GB of RAM when some Android phones bog down with twice that amount.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, as if the default option prevented me from clicking on another icon?

It is very viable. As is Chrome.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, he would have said that you are holding it wrong.

22. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Browser reloading is not a feature, it is an issue!
    I'm sick and tired of logged in websites having to reload just because I had to do a few other things before getting back to it!
    Never seen it happen on any Android handset with 2gb or more RAM!

----------

Lol or probably that multitasking is a delusional concept!

23. macUser2007 thread starter macrumors 65832

Thanks. But silly me, I thought this Tom's Hardware article had some valuable insights....

And yes, browser reloading is not a "feature," it's a work around a real-world problem, which may just get worse as more 64bit apps come along.