Why still portrait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eric8199, Apr 8, 2016.

?

What is the primary way you hold your iPad?

1. Portrait Mode

50.8%
  2. Landscape Mode

49.2%
  1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Why is the iPad still designed as a portrait device? Those of you who own iPads, what is the default way you hold it? I NEVER hold it portrait. Why not move the FaceTime camera to the top in landscape view? Why not put the home button on the bottom of landscape? I'm just wondering, does anyone default to portrait mode when they use their iPad?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

99% of the time my iPad is in Landscape mode with screen locked to landscape.

3. callea macrumors regular

callea

Almost all contents and documents (expept for videos) are vertical.
    Browsing the web in portrait mode with iPad Pro 12.9 is stunning.

4. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

I've always preferred portrait mode. I like that the iPad has an aspect ratio of 4:3.

16:9 is obviously better for movies and video streaming, but for everything else I prefer 4:3 and holding it in portrait.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

traditionally port for me, but since the 12 inch pro im land all the way.

6. SaddleSC macrumors member

I use the my iPad Pro in landscape 95% of the time, but I still like the home button where it currently is because I can hit it with my right thumb without moving my hand. If it were in the "bottom center" in landscape orientation, it would be very awkward to press and would require completely changing your grip on the device.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to agree with this regards the placement of the home button. I use my iPad exclusively in landscape mode and prefer the home button to be on the side in that orientation as it's easier to activate. As far as the camera goes I don't think makes a significant difference. I use Skype in video mode quite often and having the camera on one side in landscape mode is not really an issue.

8. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I use the iPad in landscape mode when I'm working on it, but if I grab it for quick reference things then it's in portrait. Plus when I use it in class to take notes I use it in portrait mode - though I'm considering using it upside down as I kept activating Siri by accident the other day (I should probably just learn to move the 'paper'!). Plus in landscape more having the home button on the right hand side is much easier for me.

9. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

Always portrait except for watching netflix/youtube. (9,7 inch)

10. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I use my iPad primarily for reading. Portrait mode just feels more natural. I really only use Landscape mode when I'm watching videos, and that would only be when I'm traveling.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm a rotator. If there was a time-lapse on me it would look like I was tossing a pizza because that thing is constantly spinning. I never knew that was abnormal, but for me then I just rotate it to what's comfortable.

(That's also why I'm so annoyed by the lack of 6+ advances. They demoed all the cool landscape enhancements. But since then neither app devs or Apple themselves have done added any + specific landscape features.)

12. RMSko macrumors 6502

Doesn't the smart keyboard only work in landscape mode? I think the OP makes a good point.

13. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I've used my iPads in landscape for so long that having it in portrait actually feels weird. Like using your left hand when you're right handed. Just doesn't feel right. The only time I like it portrait is when I'm writing notes.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here. Ever since the original iPad I have been using mine pretty much exclusively in landscape mode so much so it feels weird trying to use it in portrait mode. I agree that note taking is probably more practical in portrait mode though.

15. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

It is way more comfortable to hold in portrait, imo. While using it in landscape mode the weight is too heavy because of lever effect

16. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting to see how many people use them in portrait. I hardly ever see anyone using one that way, which was why I asked. Very interesting to hear other people's preferences. I may change mine when I get the 9.7 pro, because I'm guessing when I write on the screen, it will be in portrait. Otherwise though, I still expect to use mostly landscape.

17. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

I also use my iPad in landscape. I also us the camera for teaching internationally/ meeting with our overseas relief workers via FaceTime and Skype. I've been "complaining" since iPad 1 about having to turn the iPad at a weird angle to use the video in landscape. Don't get me wrong, I love Apples ecosystem so I keep living with the weird angle. Even Apple's own cases are designed to work in landscape. Count me in as one that wished the camera was in landscape.

18. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

It could go either way for me. All depends on what I'm doing. I really think that before SplitView was announced I'd argue majority would use Portrait over Landscape.

But since the introduction of SplitView... the default answer would be Landscape, although if Apple implemented a top/bottom SplitView. I'd probably use it more Portrait.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If split view is enhanced in ios10, having it available in portrait mode would be a nice addition.

20. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

It is available in portrait mode. But it only gives a left/right option.

21. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

For the large iPad Pro 12.9, landscape more is more natural....for the other iPads portrait is perfectly fine....

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Oh...ok. Top/bottom is what I meant then...

23. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

You're probably giving Apple new ideas, sure this will be part of their new design in the future. Since the device is becoming more pro, landscape is becoming the most frequently used especially in the larger pro.

24. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'm probably 50/50. Some things work better in landscape and some better in portrait so I'm glad there is a choice.
    I'd be interested in knowing though, needs to be an "app for that"!

25. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I use it in both portrait and landscape. Depending on what I am doing one or the other is better. For example, portrait mode is definitely better for reading.