Why such a high demand for the old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 10, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

This is quite puzzling to me. Since a new one's been released, the demand for the old version should drop and so should its price in the market. Someone care to enlighten me on what's going on here?

But it's good to hear because I hope to sell my iPhone 3G in the near future (1 year?) for a good price so that I can use that money to buy a newer, updated version. :p

2. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

yeah my friend sold his old one on ebay and it went for 550 or so. he made back the exact amount he payed haha

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why? Because the old iPhone can be unlocked. I sold my old one for $375 + $20 shipping.

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Its because they are unlockable. As soon as the 3Gs become unlockable the prices for the 1st gen iPhones *should* fall considerably.

5. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Because not everybody lives in a 3G area so the old phone is fine for them. For some its because they don't want to pay $15 more a month for the 3G data and 200 text messages over what the first gen phones cost per month. Since we sold both our first gen iPhones on eBay, we're quite happy there is still high demand for them.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't have all the reasons, but here are some.

• A two-year contract is not required
    • It is possible to unlock and use it with other carriers around the world
    • Whoever is buying it knows that it's no more than a year old--still a lot of life left in it.
    • The App Store is available for the first gen iPhone too
    And that's just what popped into my head in a few seconds. I'm sure there are more (better?) reasons. :)

7. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Even so, why would you pay $500+ for an unlocked first gen iPhone? You want to carry around that old iPhone thinking you're cool because it's unlocked? The old one lacks the core features of 3G (GPS, 3G, etc.) and you will still pay that much for it??? :confused::eek:

OK I know it's wrong to question how people spend THEIR money but seriously, am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

EDIT: NM, got some more good reasons. Personally, I would never pay that much for a used phone but whatever floats your boat!

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Might not be cool, but it could be more practical, especially if you travel a lot, and you don't want to pay the exorbitant international roaming fees. Having an unlocked phone could easily make you back the price you pay for it in a few trips. True that the old phone doesn't have GPS or 3G, but people have different priorities. For some GPS and 3G might not be so important, and saving money on roaming is.

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Better build quality?

No cracking on the case?

3G iPhone supply still limited?

No yellow screen?

Just looks better?

3G and GPS not actually that compelling really?

I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people are happy to go with the old iPhone.

10. CharQuake macrumors member

you are wrong sir :mad:

11. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

If used with at&t only 20 bucks a month, compared to 30.. thats a nice reason. :cool:

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Mostly because a 2 year contract is required with the 3G. I know most people would rather pay $350 and sacrifice 3G + GPS then sign a 2 year contract OR pay $600-700 on ebay.

13. yode macrumors 6502

objective opinions

14. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

What do you mean better build quality?
    My 3G has no cracks, no yellow screen, and looks way better than that metal crap.

Heres why people go with the iPhone: they're just too poor to afford 3G service. choosing EDGE over 3G is like choosing dial up over DSL, but a lot of people do that so who am i to judge

15. Rigsby macrumors regular

I think this is key. I've found my 3G reception to be patchy and have ended up on EDGE quite a lot and, frankly, for a few web pages and email EDGE is just fine.

Likewise with GPS, it's just not actually that handy. I've already got satnav in the car and don't really need GPS accurate location when I'm just walking about. In fact, the location based apps on my wife's 1st gen phone seem to perform as well as they do on my 3G.

16. reden macrumors 6502

I happen to agree on some of the points Col Ronson made. I can easily afford a new iPhone 3G, but there is no way I am getting it. It feels cheaper to me, and I don't need the 3G at the moment since wherever I go there's wifi. The only thing I would be getting it for would be the GPS. I've been to the Apple store a couple times to check it out when I'm at the mall, and just can't wrap my head around how cheap it feels.

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Exactly...I still own and love my original iPhone since the day I purchased it. My only regret was not getting a 16gig. I have an "ORIGINAL" not what everyone else has or is getting. :D

How can he be wrong...it is his OPINION and he has every right to an OPINION so he is not wrong.

Agree 100%

To some people the original feels and looks better thus in their OPINION it is of better build quality.

There are quite a few out there based on NEWS, FORUMS, WEB articles that say this is a major problem, along with light leaks and now dust collection...it helps if you read and research a little...so his opinion is based on his research, what is wrong with that?

I am not to poor to buy a 3G...that is just a totally stupid remark!!! If a user had enough to buy an original iPhone then why would the cost of this one be an issue...totally juvenile comment.

Why are you so self centered...if one does NOT HAVE 3G service then why should he buy a 3G phone? If no 3G service then the GPS is kind of useless in the full aspect.

Why do people like you and others have to criticize what others choose to do willingly and out of choice...we are not mindless robots that follow the "FAD" (not referring to everyone, just generalization)? Why can't you accept that some just like the original iPhone for whatever reason and let us all just be iPhone users...wow, you are so self centered and high and mighty just cause you have a 3G...give me a break.

I don't have 3G service, don't need the other changes and like my original iPhone that works just as good as yours. I get the same Apps and it all does the same thing. My location tracking tells me enough of where I need to go and has yet to fail me, i don't need more. Maybe on the 3rd version I will change but until then I will stay with my original as will many many others...we are not different or inferior to 3G users.

Rant Over
    Have a GREAT DAY IPHONE users!!! :D

18. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

My 2G iPhone > your 3G iPhone

don't be mad because it's pimped out.

19. midas888 macrumors newbie

Other replies have it down, but I would guess it's mainly that the 2G iPhone can be unlocked and used on any other carrier.

20. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I personally enjoy the way the first generation iPhone looks better. It's much more classy with it's metal back and feels more solid in the hand.

If the back on the first gen was curved like the iPhone 3G, I'd trade my new one for an old one.

21. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Wow, didn't realize. I have one for sale if anyone wants. Just PM me. I got my 3g iphone and my other one (16gb) just sits there. Maybe I'll sell it on ebay. I almost gave it away to someone until I caught wind of them trying to take advantage of my ignorance to their high value. People ...I tell ya

22. patin22 macrumors member

It's funny to see people get so defensive about their 3G phones. Why so angry?

I will not switch to a 3G phone for several reasons, but low battery life is my absolute #1. A more expensive data plan is a close #2. Issues mentioned in previous posts like the screens, the cases, lack of 3G service areas and buggy phones are also factors. Plus I like having themes, icons, wallpapers and the (usually) free apps that come with unlocking an iPhone.

...and GPS - I've had GPS on several phones and it's never been anything more than a rarely used novelty.

Just browse through this forum and read all the posts bitching about the same issues over and over again, then try to deny problems.

Of course I want the latest and greatest, but slightly faster data speeds (if available) and GPS aren't worth the downgrade to me. For now I'll stick with my problem-free 1st gen iPhone that I don't have to make excuses for.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm not angry at all. In fact, along with my 3G iPhone, I still have a 1st generation iPhone activated that I use everyday as well. Love them both. They are both excellent phones.

24. AdiFish macrumors newbie

Bought my iPhone the first day it came out in the UK and love it. I was going to change to the 3G version as soon as it was available but Steve's Keynote put me off when it was clear the camera wasn't going to get upgraded.

Stupid I know as I would get an extra 8GB, GPS and 3G ..... but I just know that a new version will be out next year with a better camera (iPhone Video I'm betting it will be called) and the 3 extras just aren't enough for me to upgrade.

Plus, since it's come out, I just don't like the weight of it in my hand when I've looked at it in the shop. It somehow feels cheaper!?

25. CharQuake macrumors member

good thing you agree with his opinion of my opinion 100% otherwise there would be some sort of mathematical discrepancy between you're view of my opinion through another person and where that other percentage of belief would be spent? maybe on believing in the opportunity for peace in the middle east?