Why the antenna issue probably ISN'T causing your dropped calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hockeydude35, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hockeydude35 macrumors member

I'm very curious as to how many of you, who are bitching left and right about the antenna causing dropped calls, have actually verified that you are in fact losing service (according to the bars) when your call drops. I'm seeing posts here from people saying that they're dropping ~15 calls a day. IF that's the case, and you're still covering the antenna and then coming here to complain about it...****...you're clouding the real issue.

I and many others here (who are rational enough to actually test out multiple theories) have noticed that over the past couple of days, 3G service (data and voice) has become almost unusable in a number of fairly populated area's in the US. The interesting part is, this will ABSOLUTELY cause your calls to drop multiple times and has for many of us, even while the phone is in a case, not being touched, and showing full signal strength. The cause of this problem still seems to be unknown, but It seems fairly certain that it's a combination of network issues and the way in which the iPhone 4 is addressing the network (because a 3GS in the same area with same signal wont drop calls or data). I believe this is the real issue for many of you experiencing dropped calls...NOT the antenna problem, so PLEASE, stop clouding these posts with complaints about the antenna. We've now seen what Apple's response is to that, we know how to avoid that problem....if you're actively trying to avoid it and seeing an excessive amount of dropped calls...ITS PROBABLY NOT THE ANTENNA!.

For the time being, if you're experiencing this, it seems that switching the phone to Edge seems to work fine. I had no problems using Edge even while my phone consistently dropped calls on 3G and had no data service.

Oh, and how do I know this isn't a hardware issue with my phone? Well, I traveled 2.5 hours North of where I live, to visit my parents and my 3G here works perfect (in an area, in fact, where I never had 3G before).

I know...cool story, bro.

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

Two phones. Same location. iPhone 4 drops the call, the other doesn't.

If Apple comes out and says I can't hold my phone, then fine. But Apple says the phone has the best antenna on the market. That makes me think there's something wrong with my phone.

That's the problem.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Two phones:
    • iPhone 4 in my office: Loses all signal and data connectivity instantly stops
    • Nexus One in my office: Loses minimal signal but data connectivity continues

Riddle me that, OP.

4. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

rational enough? :rolleyes:
    iphone 4 and iphone 3gs, same location, iphone 4 drops calls and 3gs have full signal

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Pretty simple, really. I see this on the status bar:

NO SERVICE

And whatever data streams I had going whether it's a phone call or an audio stream like Pandora up and vanish like a fart in the wind.

Do you really believe this isn't a real problem or something for many of us? :confused:

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

The 3GS doesn't have a full signal. However, the iP4 DOES drop calls when you hold it the wrong way. I tested it three times last night. It's real. OP needs to get a grip.

7. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

God dammit...did you guys even read what I wrote. I don't give a **** about those of you dropping calls because you incessantly want to touch the antenna's together. Like I said, Apple has spoken on that issue, take your phone back or stop bitching. What i'm talking about are people who either 1. aren't actually checking to see if they're bridging the antenna before claiming that as the problem or 2. are just dropping calls when the phone isn't even in their hand or has a case on it. In either of these two cases, it could be very likely (almost certain in the latter) that the antenna issue has NOTHING to do with the dropped call or data.

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

If you truly believe the new antenna design - something never ever EVER done before by any cellular phone maker including companies like Nokia and Motorola that have been doing so for decades compared to Apple being the new kid on the block, and the cocky arrogant little bastards to boot - then you are already lost, my son.

Go find an "Antennas for Dummies" book and it'll help. I promise. Or read this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954831

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Your calls aren't dropping. People are hanging up because they don't want to talk to you. :D :D

Non telescoping, external antennas were never ever EVER done on cellphones...until someone did the first one.

Internal antennas were never ever EVER done on cellphones...until someone did the first one.

10. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

*sigh*....again...not listening.

This is me not caring about you touching your antenna and losing signal (it's a glass phone...put a damn case on it) -> :p

This is me caring about everyone else who has a case on their phone, OR isn't touching the antenna, AND has a phone showing FULL signal, and regardless of all of that can't connect to 3G voice or data -> :( THIS issue is NOT related to touching the antenna. Again...an issue related to not touching the antenna...cannot relate to the issue regarding touching the antenna. I hope I've made this perfectly clear to all of you. My whole point here was trying to help/find people who may think it's the antenna (solely based on a dropped call or lost data) when in reality it has nothing to do with it.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Er did you read my post? I said I have 2 devices in identical areas making calls to each other and the iPhone drops every time. Antenna issue IS the problem. God dammit.

12. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just going to assume you're not touching the antenna when this happens, because if you are, you clearly haven't read the part about me not caring about those people. If you are not in fact, touching the antenna...then your call dropping probably isn't an antenna problem.

How do I know this? My IP4 dropped calls and data for the past 3 days in Northern VA while my roommates 3GS did not. My IP4 had a perfect signal when it was dropping these calls (and it's in a case and i'm not touching it). I came to PA last night, IP4 still has a perfect signal (a better signal than it used to here) and it doesnt drop data or calls anymore. Explain to me how you see that as related to the antenna problem.

13. Cubsfan macrumors member

There's more than one problem that's resulting in dropped called here.

1) Antenna issue. If you touch that area, you're probably going to start dropping calls.

2) Some sort of 3G problem. In my area, 3G is unreliable at best. Data speeds are all over the place (most of the time the speed is zero), and voice calls have been dropping a ton, even when showing 4-5 bars (which means this isn't the antenna issue). I don't think anyone really knows yet if this one is that the AT&T towers suck, the iPhone 4 is doing something differently, or both. Switching to EDGE I haven't dropped a call yet.

So, the antenna issue is causing dropped calls. But, at least for some of us, calls are dropping on 3G for other reasons as well.

14. reservedegotist macrumors regular

There definitely is an issue - not clear whether it's the antenna or the phone's communication with the network (I hope it's the latter so software updates can hopefully solve the problem). I'm guessing that the volume of activations screwed up the setup of 3G or voice calls (for me voice calls are perfectly fine but 3G absolutely sucks)

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Honestly, what's the point of this thread?

ATT subscribers other than iPhone 4 owners have dropped calls?

Gee, thanks for the update.

The problem has been isolated, identified, and quantified. I don't think we need to rule out every other possibility under the sun.

16. utcarsons macrumors regular

Have you read the OP entirely and have you tried turning off 3G to see if it changes the issue? I have found that turning off 3G stabilizes my bars to about 3-4 at home... with minimal change whether holding or laying on desk etc. When 3G is on (and I assume somehow interfering with my reception), it varies wildly from minute to minute 0-1 bar to 5 bars.

I hope this is something that Apple is planning on addressing with the software fix but hasnt 'fessed up to because it hasnt been as strongly publicized... :rolleyes:

17. reservedegotist macrumors regular

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Well, given that Apple has admitted that their software overestimates how strong the signal is, your notion that the iP4 or 3GS has a "perfect signal" does not matter at all. Secondly, I would assume that both the 3GS and the iP4 are running the same software (or has your roommate not updated to iOS4?). If that's the case, then hardware must be the issue.

If the iP4 and 3GS are both catching the same signal, but only the 3GS is able to make calls and use data, what do you think the mostly likely hardware defect is? Whether you are touching it or not, the antenna is still the most likely culprit because it's the most radically different thing between the two iPhones, when it comes to the actual phone part.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've done extensive testing with two different phones, on two different networks here in the UK.

Both of them have this issue.

I tried both 2G and 3G networks, and I waited until quite late at night so that congestion was definitely not an issue.

20. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

The way I see it, a hardware defect would only make sense if the phone was exhibiting the same symptoms in a different area, which it is not. The area where the calls and data are being dropped in VA, is not a low signal area, I can assure you. This has got to be some sort of weird network issue or an issue with the way iPhone 4 is communicating with the 3G network.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No, it's exhausting and doesn't make sense.

22. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Does anyone understand why it's only the lower corner that causes the issue? If it's a spot where two antennas can be bridged by a finger, then shouldn't this problem also occur next to the headphone jack, where they also can be bridged? But it doesn't happen. Just curious as to why that particular spot, if the entire steel band functions as an antenna, is a problem.

23. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

You must have read my mind...I was wondering the same thing, and was about to post it...

24. hockeydude35 thread starter macrumors member

You, sir, win +1 internets for listening and understanding. :)

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

both

I THINK that with the one on the TOP one would ALSO have to bridge the one on the bottom RIGHT in order to get to the 3G/Data antenna on the BOTTOM. There are three seperator rubber pads/bars