Why the **** doesnt the iPhone download email permanently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eskimochaos, Oct 3, 2010.

1. eskimochaos macrumors newbie

My BIGGEST qualm with the iphone is that it doesnt store email offline once they are downloaded. If Im in a deadzone and need to look at an old email it says 'cannot retrieve data' or some BS like that.

Is there anyway to have the iphone download and PERMANENTLY store offline until I delete them?

Im using a push gmail account btw.

Furthermore, I can get an email, hear the stupid ding, go to read it and it takes its merry time to download the message. WTF?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Limited space. If your iPhone downloaded all email for ever you might well not have any room for music. Or other apps. Or anything at all for that matter.

3. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats BS, text of an email takes 0 space. Ive had over 3000 emails on my BB bold with 0 issue.

Apple, this is retarded.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst you may believe that email takes zero space I hate to point out that you are, what we call, factually incorrect.

5. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks good, but can I see the emails in the native iphone app mail client when offline or do I need to go through this app?

Its not that im ever in a deadzone its just if I read the email once, it should be there permanently

6. Damiantmc macrumors newbie

Ok yeah factually he is incorrect as they do take up space but I agree that they don't take up that much space if you give us the option to only save the emails that we want. Or the option to save text only and download images when required, or only save images for the last xx amount of emails but to open an email and then 5 mins later open it again and have to redownload it is a bit silly in my opinion. Only my opinion thou lol

Regards Damian

7. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, if Apple even gave you the option, to download permanently it would be amazing.

Apple, read this and do it.

8. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I don't see the problem. I seem to have access to my email even when offline. The emails are definitely stored on the phone. On emails with photos, the first time I have to download them, afterwards they're already there, no need to redownload.

9. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Gmail set up as exchange.

11. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok turn on airplane mode, go to your inbox and try to read an email from last week.

It will bitch at you.

12. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I just did it with all 4 of my accounts. Gave me a message each time, said "ok" and read my old emails just fine.

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I just checked it on mine with both my Mobile me and gmail account. Be sure you have 'synced' each mailbox by clicking on the left circle arrow icon. That brings the mail to your on phone mailbox storage location. You need to do this while you DO have internet access. Once you do that, the mail is stored on your phone as well as whatever server you use to store your mail.

14. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Just did what you suggested.
    Scrolled to the oldest email in my inbox (Feb 2010).

It loaded fine.

15. eskimochaos thread starter macrumors newbie

That little thing in the lower left of the screen with the arrow? Did you alter any settings under the gmail exchange client on the phone? I just did the airplane mode thing, some old messages loaded and others ayd "this message has not yet been downloaded from the server"

16. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

When you click the arrow, it actually downloads the messages from the server to your phone. I didn't make any changes to the settings, at least that I recall.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That I have to say is a BS excuse on Apples part.

BB does it just fine with far less space to store emails on it ranging from say 128 to 512 megs of storage depending on the model. That space is also used for ram, storing OS and everything else. Pictures and what not can and often are stored on the SD card. Download them in the email the phone BB will dump them on to the SD card and will be deleted if the email is deleted.

The trick to is the phone just needs to set a limit at say 10 megs or so for emails. If space runs out then deleted the oldest email and so on. It works great and is a great system. Apple system is crap.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Apple's email client AND photo client are two of the very worst in existence for a mobile device. Period. Argue all you want - but it's true.

19. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I am running gmail through exchange and have the setting set to never delete, or whatever it's called.

In my inbox I have 7188 messages....the only reason I set it to that is because search is not available with gmail exchange. So if I wanted to read an email from over a month ago (longest allotment of time allowed next to "never") I would have to go to gmail in safari, and search that way. I wanted it to be seamless so I could search every message. Because of course, there are emails I want to refer back to from 2008.

20. admanimal macrumors 68040

Umm, that isn't Apple's excuse, it's robbieduncan's excuse on Apple's behalf, which could have nothing to do with the actual reason why it allegedly doesn't work.

The protocol has a separate mechanism for checking to see if there is new email vs. actually downloading the messages. Generally speaking it is more efficient to delay downloading the messages until the user actually requests to see them.

21. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I use Mail Archiver all the time for this functionality.

I also use lettermelater.com to let me schedule emails because the iPhone mail program won't let me do that.

I have both features included in my iPhone features wishlist thread.

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

What's so bad with the Photos app? Particularly with the new additions in iOS 4 for Faces, Events and Places I think it's pretty good. I haven't had a lot of chance to use the photo management tools on other smartphone OSes, but I'd love to know what they do so well that iOS doesn't. Not trying to be a fanboy, just genuinely curious as to what I'm missing here.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

1) Apple removed the ability to send the photo with its actual file name.
    2) There are no adjustments native to the app post-picture taking (you have to rely on 3rd party apps to crop/adjust color - brightness - etc
    3) Lack of social networking functioning
    4) Lack of ability to look at exif data natively
    5) Lack of ability to create folders/move pictures into folders

Just a few...

24. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just out of curiosity ...
    is it possible to go ONE day without somebody nitpicking and bitching about something completely inconsequential?