Why the iPhone 4 will be a spec bump.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waloshin, Oct 3, 2011.

1. waloshin, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Apple wants to just spec bump this 2 year design so they can look at their competerors who reinvent themselves every 3 months and say , "Hey! Look at us were using a 1.5 year design ,but we're still selling more iPhones!"

And I am also wondering why the carrier Sasktel just price dripped their brand new Sasmsung Galaxy SII today.

[​IMG]

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Not sure which neutrino you've been riding but the iP4 was released 466 days ago; ~250 days short of 2 yrs. :rolleyes:

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

It's close enough and still does not change its still been 1.5 years. Way longer then any iphone models.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I think he meant the design will be on the market for 2 years (including the 4S).

I disagree, though. Apple likes to innovate, especially if they know they can stay way ahead of the game.

But then again, if they don't *need* to bring out the big guns yet, what if it's just a 4S?

*applefan289 tells himself to stop it until tomorrow*

5. flight macrumors regular

I think he meant that it's a planned two-years for the design. But I completely disagree. Apple doesn't play that game.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It will be a spec bump, people should've known this by now, 3G->3GS ring a bell?

7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Thank God you got rid of your other avatar. It was giving me a seizure.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I still plan on using it again though lol

9. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

You mean the time where Apple stopped pushing forward and let Android grab a foothold in the market that it's now turned into a lead?

10. arkon macrumors member

2008 to 2009, there was no real competiton for the iPhone ...

11. Skika macrumors 68030

Exactly this. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to make a generic speed bump when competition is at its highest.

I think they have something up their sleeves. Cant wait for tomorrow.

12. estockme macrumors regular

It isn't a generic spec bump if you look at the scores... if Assistant is all people are saying it is cracked up to be that would be enough of a wow to bring people in... plus everything else in ios5, plus the extremely popular and sexy shape of the current phone...

the basic form factor didn't change through the first 4 models--went from metal to plastic, but correct me if i'm wrong--the major changes in earlier models were always "spec bumps" or the addition of some bit of hardware--3g, for example. It seems to me that dual core plus a new graphics chip fall in line with this kind of change. It might disappoint people who come to macrumors and speculate for months before a release, but for the lay person it is plenty... with the possible exception of those who have been sold on the necessity of 4g, which I just don't buy personally.

13. mom333 macrumors regular

Where can I read about what exactly this Assistant is? Sadly, I don't know.

14. TheMacBookPro, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You have it mixed up. The 'lay person' doesn't care about specs. How would he know the difference between the A4 and A5 chip? Why would he care if the graphics were improved from the PowerVR SGX 535 to the SGX 543MP2? Does he even know what a core or RAM is?

What the average Joe does care about is what it looks like. Joe doesn't want to plunk down $200 for something that looks and (seemingly) functions identically to the phone he has in his pocket, the one he paid $200 for one year ago.
    The same theory could be applied to teenagers- if Little Joe's iPhone doesn't out out of date to his mates, then he won't ask his parents to buy the new model for him- after all, he won't be perceived as any more cool than he is now.

The people who go to MacRumors etc on the other hand do know about the improvements the 543MP2 brings to the table over the 535. They do know how RAM makes Safari less prone to reloading pages while multitasking etc. They do know the advantages of a dual core processor over a single core.

Unfortunately, everyone has noticed those new Android/WP7 phones coming out with their ginormous screens. The people who go to MacRumors will ask Apple for the new iPhone to have a larger screen, but they'll stick with Apple no matter what because their music etc are all integrated into Apple's ecosystem. However, maybe Little Joe will see those big bright Super AMOLED Plus displays and think, hm, maybe this will let me share YouTube videos easier with my friends and boost my 'cool rating'.

So. The people who read MacRumors and have everything integrated into the Apple ecosystem (especially apps) will most likely stick to Apple for the near future, larger screen or not. They'll see the advantages of the A5 chip and happily sell their old phone for the new model, new housing or not.
    The layperson on the other hand, who can't do much more than check stocks and make calls to business associates (for the average Joe) or play Need for Speed and text message (for Little Joe), might find that the competitor's product does what they want, and since it looks different to what they already have, they'll happily pay for it.

15. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

I was holding out for a 5 until today. It really is a spec bump. They bumped the processor, 3g (from 3.6 to 7.2), camera for the 3gs. Now they're bumping the exact same specs for the 4s. 3g to hspa+ (3.5g basically), 5mp to 8mp camera, A4 to A5. Exact same stuff. Sad, but true.

16. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Here's a mockup that was made through this site:

YouTube: video