Why the iPhone 5 makes sense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knck out, Sep 30, 2011.

1. knck out macrumors member

Alright lets see, the 3gs was announced back in 09 when apple was still ahead of the competition infact if u watch the keynote i believe they actually make fun of their competitors for trying to compete

the ip3gs was the 3rd generation iphone.... anyways apple could afford to just update some specs add video etc etc... due to the closest competition being HTC phones that hardly ran android

so now, we have SGSII which has passed up the ip4, in pretty much every way (except physical design) not to mention the rumored Nexus Prime and the SGSIII coming this year or early next year, honestly...do you think apple can afford to release a 4s?

and why would it be called the 4s? it would be the 5th Gen iphone...anyways thats besides the points

apple sold about 16 million or so ip4 units, and they are expecting to sell 30 million units of their next gen iphone by the end of the year...how could they almost DOUBLE their sales in 3 month rather the 16 months of ip4 if they are planning on releasing a 4s? i mean the 4s would look exactly like the 4 (physically) and updated internals...honestly the masses would not pay $200+ for a spec boost, not to mention the $600+ cost in non U.S countries

Tim cook...the new CEO, does he plan on kicking off his new position with the 4s? i wouldnt be suprised to actually see some downfall of apple if only a 4s in announced

Now on a CONFIRMED note, apple has announced the media event for the iphone on oct 4th, the invitation says "LETS TALK iPHONE", so why would they hold a media event specifically meant for the iphone and release a 4s...people will be flying in from all parts of the country for what? something that could be said in an email? when the 3gs was announced it took all of 15 mins to list the key features and demo it....watch the keynote ur self.

also the 3gs was announced during WWDC where the iphone wasnt the main attraction, apple had other things to talk about. Oct 4th supposedly is all about the iPhone (yes i know ios5/icloud and MAYBE ipod will be discussed)

when a separate event was held for the ipad back in march did apple say "hey guys we flew everyone out here for the iPad "S"..yaaaaaaaay! its innovative! thanks for coming!" no that would have been ridiculous....am i right?

truly if they were releasing a 4s why wait 16 months, upgraded internals should only take like 4 months to design and manufacture, they could have just released it at WWDC 2011 even with delays and delays and delays they still would have been able to make the WWDC event

ios5...has 250+ new features (not including hidden next gen iphone features) this is the biggest ios update yet, so wouldnt apple want some new hardware to go with this "massive" software update for some collateral damage

if you made it to the end of this wall of text pat your self on the back! anyways these are just reasons why i think an ip5 reveal on oct 4th is promising

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Advice to Tim Cook: begin the keynote by saying "hi. I am not here to announce an iPhone 4S." *thunderous applause*

3. knck out thread starter macrumors member

lol that would be awesome, id be clapping watching it on my computer screen at home!

4. theperipheral macrumors 6502

You mean "reading it at home".

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yeah, because the first iPhone Tim Cook announces has to be big. I believe that it will be an iPhone 5 due to the location choice as well, a lot of big events were held there. So i'm really looking forward to this!

Can you imagine Apple coming out with a new generation iPhone with the same 3.5" screen and being compared to the other phones in the market? lol..

6. troop231 macrumors 603

We don't even know if it will be live streamed yet..

7. stevemiller macrumors 65832

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just a thought: it's the 10th anniversary of the iPod. So far reports have been that apple is discontinuing half the line and making little/no changes to what remains.

The writing on the wall is that the torch has been passed to the iPhone/iPad. And a speed bumped "4S" doesn't seem like the best way to promote that transition. What DOES is a re-affirmation of their original iPhone sales pitch that it's their "best iPod ever". And the two features that speak to the media player market are storage and screen.

I honestly don't know how it'll actually play out, but my gut says there is going to be at least one wow-ing piece of hardware to come out. If iOS is the main selling point this year, that would have been the focus if the invite.

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I read a hilarious comment the other day on a 9to5Mac article by someone called "AmericanStig". It went something like this:

"I'm not sure, if I was Tim Cook and all I had to go into the Oct 4th event was a revamped iPhone 4, I'd call R&D and tell them to make an official mockup of this design and release it as a 'Coming soon due to manufacturing delays.' "

9. Hey! macrumors member

I believe they are doing something great to start of Cook's career

10. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I totally agree with the original post on this thread. I also agree that Tim Cook can not start his career with a "4S" announcement....unless it is a "4S" announcement and Jobs was so embarrassed by it that he unexpectedly quit and Tim decided that a massive salary for a short time is worth it.

If it was headlined by ios5 and iCloud it would not say "Let's Talk iPhone".

On the opposite side...if Assistant is the centerpiece it's going to be Katy bar the door. Few people want to have a conversation with their phone unless somebody is attached to the other end. For those who do want to talk to their phone, I hope you do it in private....unlike how you talk on the phone now. I know that's wishful thinking. Some of you have a cell phone and you want the rest of us to know you have a cell phone and if it talks to you you'll certainly want us to know that, too. Have you read the news article about lemon juice making you invisible to a video camera?

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I must say true story bro. I can't wait for tuesday!

12. appleofmy"i" macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

Very well put. I feel we should also add the fact that the cases have arrived at ATT and i really feel that the fact that Apple stated at WWDC that the iPhone would have a LED indicator on it for alerts and incoming calls should show that they were redesigning already (Apple wouldnt just use the camera flash, thats not Apple).

[​IMG]

----------

Even if its not live streamed (which it better be!!!) we can always watch it after the post the vid

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

When I wake up on Wednesday morning (7AM) everything would have been announced. Or I could wake up 2 hours early and get live updates.

14. JReinn macrumors member

Does this mean that Emoji Emoticons are default in the OS? So you don't have to download apps yourself to enable it? It's not a BIG feature, but nice that they finally added it.

15. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Apple uses the volume up button as camera shutter button. So why not use the flash for that :)

16. shandyman Suspended

Actually there's no evidence they have arrived at ATT stores, the photos are from a macrumors reader alledgedly showing them at an ATT store.......

Also, the LED indicator is for accessibility, not general use, which is using the flash on the iPhone 4 currently on iOS5, so no guarantees this will be put on the front for general use....

17. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Same here! It would mean they are sensitive to all the rumors going around.

But they have everything planned exactly the way they want it, so it probably isn't going to happen.

18. bluedoggiant, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Same logic different hypothesis..

19. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Because the flash is on the back of the phone. Unless you like staring at the back of your phone to wait for missed calls, a notification LED is needed

20. shandyman Suspended

it's for accessibility, it's not general use. So it does not guarantee iPhone 5 will have one. I'm not saying it's not gonna happen, just don't get your hopes up. it's currently running on the iPhone 4 with iOS5, i know as i tested it, not everyone puts the phone on a surface with the screen facing up, plus if someone wanted to make use of it on the iPhone 4, just have to put it screen down, simple......

21. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

Yeah, I think that they will add an LED notification light to the front of the iPhone, it only makes sense.

22. iiPwn macrumors member

I really hope for a new design for the upcoming iPhone. If it looks like the iPhone 4 then i will be disapointed. It's just to wait and see :)
    Please don't disapoint me Apple! :apple: :)

23. Surrylic macrumors regular

Based on reports my faith in an iPhone 5 is waning, but I'm still really hopeful. When the 3GS came out, as was previously said they were ahead in the phone game. More importantly, however, the iPhone 3G ran really really slowly a lot of the time. Waiting several seconds to open a simple SMS function is absurd on a phone I can use to watch HD content. This specifically is why I'm still holding out so much hope for an iPhone 5. The iPhone 4 currently runs very smoothly, and there's little to no reason for the small processor and memory bump (unless iOS 5 is that intense, which I doubt). Right now what everyone wants is more of a big deal, like a larger screen and such.

I just think an iPhone 4S is fairly unnecessary. If a new phone is coming out, Apple really needs it to be an iPhone 5. Besides, waiting an extra four months longer than usual for a new phone is ridiculous. If it's a small internal upgrade that could have been ready much earlier in the year, like the when the white version was released.

24. MarkNY macrumors regular

If bigger screens really are the future, then doesn't Apple have to come out with a re-design with a 4 inch + screen? You have to think Apple has spent tons of time contemplating that issue, and won't get this one wrong. Not necessarily saying bigger screens are what most consumers want, but if we don't see a bigger screen, we know what Apple thinks.