Why the iphone 6 is backwards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b.frank, Oct 12, 2014.

1. b.frank macrumors newbie

Hi! I've been a frequent viewer, I just haven't registered yet. I would like your op on the new iphone 6/plus. I told my friend, who works for an awesome company, that I was going to get the iphone 6 and he laughed. Surprisingly he told me to wait until next summer when they release the next version and to just get an iphone 5s for the time being. He told me that apple spent most of it's technical resources on the Apple Watch during the last two years; and that Jon Ive and the team was primarily focused on it than the iphone. Then he said that is why in design and function, the iphone 6 is backwards and not yet reached it's peak design as supposedly planned. He's a pretty honest fellow and someone who was always right when it came to apple products. I still bought a grey iphone 6 plus cause I couldn't stand the small screen size of the iphone 5s. wow is the device big even though I'm a pretty big guy myself. I showed it to him and as a tease he said expect the color bands to disappear and better internals; more ram. I don't care, I still love my new iphone. :rolleyes:. My question is, are there some tuts on how to hide the bands on the device? Or should I just throw a case on it? Are there good quality case makers yet for the iphone 6?

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

When you compare the 6 to the 5 and 4, it's not as forward in design. There really isn't a wow factor IMO, unlike the 4 for example. It looks dated, hence backwards. It's a basic looking phone with a slight retro design from historical iPhones. Not that there's nothing wrong with that, but it just looks so bland IMO.

3. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

That is funny because I think just the opposite. I feel like this is one of the best looking iPhones, and I love the curves and not the hard edges of the 4, and 5. I truly believe this is one of the best looking iPhone to date.

4. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I would say that your friend is quite clueless. Get either the 6 or wait for 7. 6S will be almost identical to 6 with slight improvements.

5. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

And that's all that matters.

IMO the 6 (Plus) is the best iPhone I've ever used.

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

While yes, a fair amount of effort is being focused on the watch, as if Apple will not give 110% on their cash cow. As long as you're happy with your purchase, that's most important.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Love my 6 Plus. Huge (pun intended) improvement in every way over my 5S.

8. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Case

I'd put a case on a brand new iPhone unless I was rich. It is just too much money and too fragile to risk it without a case. I take the case off after a year because at that point I can replace it with a better phone if something bad happens. I didn't break either my 4 or my 5 and they spent a year without cases, but I've know many others to drop their phones. So the "bands" in the back aren't something I'm going to see for at least a year. And considering how slim the phone is, I might keep it cased next year as well.

The 5s is a great phone, but you buy that phone for the pocket-ability and the one-hand use. Obviously anyone who is buying the 6+ doesn't value those two issues very much. So it is not the phone for you no matter what your friend says.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have the iPhone 6 with the Apple leather case, and just love it. Makes the phone more grippable without adding much weight or bulk, and hides the ugly bands on the back. A little pricy but worth it IMO. You should also check out the Apple silicone case. In my case I liked the color and texture of the leather, but other people might prefer the silicone.

10. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Your friend is just some guy with an opinion. Unless the "awesome company" he works for is Apple, or a supplier of parts to Apple, he doesn't have any inside information and is just giving you his opinion.

If the bands bother you so much, buy a case for it.

11. Batman89 macrumors 6502

I'm sure you respect your friend greatly, and while none of us really know what's going on at Apple, he's *probably* wrong.

The Apple Watch, for example, has been in development for three years. Which means that it was being worked on when the 4S was released. I saw no hindrance in design with the 5, 5S, or 6.

The "next version" of the iPhone, probably the 6S, will probably have the exact same design of the 6. The iPhone will not be completely redesigned until two years from now. If you'd like to wait that long, knock yourself out.

While the Watch was in development, Apple introduced Siri, Touch ID, and now Apple Pay. I'm sure they use their resources just fine. As for the antenna bands, get a good-looking case and you're all set. It's risky using any iPhone without a case as it is.

Personally, I think your friend has either been unable to find an iPhone, or his upgrade isn't until next year. He knows he wants one ;)

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Every device you buy will be supplanted by a device with better specs down the line. For iPhones that happens once a year. Of course the 6S will be better than the 6, and the 7 better than the 6S, and the 7S better than the 6. Don't let it stop you from enjoying your phone now.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Post titled why the iphone is backwards doesn't say why the iphone is backwards.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

So your friend is saying to wait till next year to get a better phone? Doesn't he know phones become faster and stronger every year lol

15. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I completely agree. Everyone has been saying it’s too big. Not me. I loved it from the first time I saw it on display at the Apple Store.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Every single person who has held my 6+ has said two things:

- It's big!
    - It looks and feels really nice.

I love the design. The curved edge makes it feel so much nicer.

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

The Apple Watch has been under development for three years according to Apple and it has another six months at least to go before it's a finished product. I kind of doubt that Ive's team was so pressed for resources that they couldn't devote enough attention to the flagship product.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Same here. Everyone is shocked by it's size.

19. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

I'm pretty sure they will address those ugly bands somehow with the 6s.
    I'm also 100% sure they will make both 6s and 6s Plus body much more rigid and durable.
    why? because both of those NEED to be addressed.
    So I agree with what your friend said.
    Me personally,was never a fan of the design (due to bands and lens) from the beginning,the first day they were released I visited Appke store and spend an hour trying both 6 and 6 Plus.I liked the front and how they felt but hated the back.
    Still wanted to buy one (+) but the whole bend gate thing killed it for me.it is real ( to some extent) and there is no way to deny it.
    So for me,I'll want for 6s or 6s plus.

I just don't want to buy something that doesn't look perfect (unlike any other Apple product) and don't want to be constantly worry about possibiliy of deformation while I use it normally.

I hate cases and never use those ugly things,I want to feel and enjoy the design of the product,the idea of hiding it inside a case makes no sense to me,also cases will not save them from possible bending.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's just your opinion. Other people don't mind the bands, and think that the 6 and 6 plus are durable enough as they are.

If people don't buy the 6 and 6 plus, then maybe Apple will have reason to make changes. But since they are flying off the shelves, I think it's likely Apple will just stick to their two-year design cycle, and next year's iPhones will look just like this year's on the outside.

21. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

I think just because they are selling well doesn't mean Apple won't address issues no matter how big or small they are,they will learn and try to improve it for sure,right now the main concern with 6 Plus and 6 is durability.
    don't forget iPhone 4 was also selling well,but they addressed the antenna issue with 4s.
    also iPhone 5 was selling well but they changed the cosmetic design with 5s and added touch ID.

I'm not expecting a complete redesign with 6s ofcourse but a slight cosmetic improvement in regards to the bands is very possible.and I bet they will add some sort of re-insforcement to chasis.

22. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

:apple:The chassis won't change and neither will the bands. They're both integral parts of the basic design of the device. The way these things are squeezed together it would be nearly a 100% redesign to change these 2 things.:apple:

23. Will2145 macrumors 6502a

Will2145

For me, as a previous 4 and 5 owner, the leaked 6 rumored design really caught my eye and now that I have it, absolutely love the design.

24. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Perhaps, you're right. I'm heading to Apple this weekend to make sure the T-Mobile 6 is indeed "unlocked" to ATT and International without this 40 days that T-Mobile had people waited on before they unlocked it, otherwise I'm waiting in Nov. to purchase the factory unlocked.

25. ttmrn macrumors regular

everytime i see this topic pop up... i just feel like saying...

everyone shld be using their iphone the right side up.
    if u believe ur iphone appears backward, please have it returned.