Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I just went to the apple store thinking I was going to get a Macbook. It all sounded so good - the integrated graphics card, the slick new mouse, and of course the gorgeous design. Lets face it people, Apple has made a product that causes many Apple fans to drool. It's so beautiful. It looked so great that I was set on getting the 2.4 Ghz to maximize it's life. This would be the computer that I can live with for a really long time.

As I played around with the MB, however, the glow of Apple's marketing wore off and I began to notice some areas that aren't really flaws, but they didn't meet my expectations:

1) The "backlit" screen is dull, and has a limited viewing angle. It was horrible. Barely better than the previous MB but worlds away from the prior gen MBP, which keeps the same screen on the new version, I think.

2) The trackpad, while feeling a little better, isn't really completely a button. It's more of a hinged door resting on a button. This means that you CANNOT press the button no matter how hard you try at the top of the mousepad. Furthermore, pressing the button is really easy at the bottom and it just gets really hard as you go up. Think of a sliver at the top of the new mousepad as large as the previous button that is essentially a dead zone. And the part that you can click on is NOT CONSISTANT. This is huge for those who want to do photoshop work.

3) The integrated graphics, while way better than the previous MB, DO NOT EVEN COMPARE to the p.g. MBP

4)The keyboard..... Look, the chiclet keyboard looks better. But I would argue that a vast majority of people would prefer the MBP keyboard. Why else wouldn't chiclet keyboards not have taken over the aftermarket keyboard scene? Think of what you would prefer to type on if your eyes were closed...

5) Matte screen. Preference? Yes, but a lot better for those who want to do graphic design.

6) Firewire. N'uff said.

The final factor that puts the nail in the MB coffin is resale value. The p.g. MBP has become the last, most powerful option for graphic designers who want - maybe even need - firewire and matte screens.

I figure in 3-4 years when my applecare (no worrying at all about graphics cards) runs out, I'll be sitting on a computer that I can easily resell - a classic that is still usefull.

The best part of it all, I got this beauty of a machine for only 1399 at the apple education clearance store. Get them while you still can!

PS don't bother with the 512MB version, they say it makes no difference.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Not really

Dude, there's nothing directly comparing the MB to the old MBP. A lot of people are trying to decide between these two specific models. Did you get stuck with a new MB or something? :D

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Fail3.jpg

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I agree with you on 1 and 3.

4) I like the new style keyboard on the Air and new MB better than on my previous MB Pro. The backlighting on silver keys are almost illegible in medium light, like those found on an airplane.

5) I'm a graphic designer and prefer the glossy screen. Matte might be better when designing for print, but for web I think most consumer computers are moving to glossy so I should match what most people will be using in the near future. That said, the MB screen is really reflective. Even more so than my MB Air screen. Also the viewing angle is worse.

6) I don't use firewire, even for my video since I got a HD camcorder that records directly to H.264 MP4 files on SD memory cards. I think that's where the vast majority of consumer video will come from now/soon.

That said, I think the previous gen MBP is a good deal if you don't travel much and need a smaller screen. Amazon has them for $1444 with no tax (some states), free shipping, which may beat the Apple store for education if you have to pay tax.

I bought a 2.4ghz MB yesterday though, since I had to put my Air into repair for broken hinges.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
2) The trackpad, while feeling a little better, isn't really completely a button. It's more of a hinged door resting on a button. This means that you CANNOT press the button no matter how hard you try at the top of the mousepad. Furthermore, pressing the button is really easy at the bottom and it just gets really hard as you go up. Think of a sliver at the top of the new mousepad as large as the previous button that is essentially a dead zone. And the part that you can click on is NOT CONSISTANT. This is huge for those who want to do photoshop work.

I understand all of your other points but this one has me totally baffled.

You have NEVER been able to perform a physical click at the top of a trackpad. You put one finger where you want to click and press down on the bottom of the trackpad with the side of your thumb.

I don't see how this is a selling point of the previous generation because everything you could do on the old trackpad you can do on the new one.

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I think the response here has been a little harsh. The OP is addressing something going through my mind as well. Between the 2.0 Ghz processor and lack of backlit keyboard (firewire isn't really an issue for me), I'd be looking at the $1599 high end MacBook.

Or, for significantly less, I could get a computer with a bigger, nicer screen, a backlit keyboard, and max it out with 4GB of aftermarket ram for a fraction of the cost.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I don't mean to offend anyone

BTW I don't mean to offend anyone. I can understand why someone would ignore those points and get the new MB, it's still a great computer that looks a lot better than anything apple has produced thus far. In the end, I felt that the MBP is still amazing apple quality at a PC's price.

I hope my post is helpful to those who are weighing a similar decision in their minds.

brettinlj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
I think the response here has been a little harsh. The OP is addressing something going through my mind as well. Between the 2.0 Ghz processor and lack of backlit keyboard (firewire isn't really an issue for me), I'd be looking at the $1599 high end MacBook.

Or, for significantly less, I could get a computer with a bigger, nicer screen, a backlit keyboard, and max it out with 4GB of aftermarket ram for a fraction of the cost.

I agree. I'm going between the new 2.0Ghz and a refurb 2.4Ghz Blackbook at $1099 that I'll upgrade to 4GB RAM.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I don't understand why a backlit keyboard has become such an issue now - up until a couple of days ago we didn't have any MacBooks with backlit keys and people were not complaining about them, so why are people shunning the new model and paying a huge chunk of extra money just to get little lights under their keys?

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
I can see where the topic creator has some valid points, but he forgot one thing: Build quality. I know a lot of people with a dented macbook pro. Just purchasing the new macbook, I can tell you that it is very sturdy. It comes down to preference though I guess.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
You played with a MB for like what, 10 minutes and know all about it's graphics card? I have to agree with the majority here and say you don't have a clue about anything.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Plus with that moniker we don't want you pissing people off and sending them to McLame.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
You played with a MB for like what, 10 minutes and know all about it's graphics card? I have to agree with the majority here and say you don't have a clue about anything.

No, I'm an engineer and would never make such a rash decision. I had to go to the store instead of ordering a new MB online and assuming that all backlit LED's are created equal because I saw this review:

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-review

Ryan, you can see for yourself that there is a significant difference. It's pretty staggering, really.

I then talked to three Apple Geniuses and they all unhesitatingly said that there is no comparison and that they all are sticking to either a new pro or their old pros. it should be noted that they were not selling any old pros so by reccomending me the prior generation ones, they actually lost a sale!

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
BTW I don't mean to offend anyone. I can understand why someone would ignore those points and get the new MB, it's still a great computer that looks a lot better than anything apple has produced thus far. In the end, I felt that the MBP is still amazing apple quality at a PC's price.

I hope my post is helpful to those who are weighing a similar decision in their minds.

For the amount of time you actually spent on the new MB, anyone else can do the same and draw their own conclusions. It's not for everyone, and that's fine.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That nice and all that you feel that way, but to automatically, in the title of your thread, state that because you personally like the previous gen MBP better that the new macbook sucks is just plain silly.

There is a big difference between a pro machine and a consumer machine that price alone doesn't account for. Size is probably the biggest one.

Also, you forgot one GLARING problem with the previous gen MBPs: the GPU. The GPU problem with NVidia is, unfortunately, not just a couple of isolated events, and in purchasing one you are taking a gamble.

If you think the MBP is a good choice for you, then bravo, you can now get the computer you want at a huge discount. However, don't go pontificating all over the place. Its arrogant, and certainly not becoming of Obama supporters. ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I just went to the apple store thinking I was going to get a Macbook. It all sounded so good - the integrated graphics card, the slick new mouse, and of course the gorgeous design. Lets face it people, Apple has made a product that causes many Apple fans to drool. It's so beautiful. It looked so great that I was set on getting the 2.4 Ghz to maximize it's life. This would be the computer that I can live with for a really long time.

As I played around with the MB, however, the glow of Apple's marketing wore off and I began to notice some areas that aren't really flaws, but they didn't meet my expectations:

1) The "backlit" screen is dull, and has a limited viewing angle. It was horrible. Barely better than the previous MB but worlds away from the prior gen MBP, which keeps the same screen on the new version, I think.

Maybe the brightness was turned down by the previous person who was playing around with it?

who said the trackpad was a button? no one. you just assumed that. oh please, who does photoshop on a 13.3" screen? Only the beginners do that, the amateurs use an external display or the mbp.

3) The integrated graphics, while way better than the previous MB, DO NOT EVEN COMPARE to the p.g. MBP

Who said the graphics were supposed to be better or even compare with the mbp? Jobs specifically compared the performance to a mbp's graphics just as reference. it wasnt supposed to be better than the mbp.

4)The keyboard..... Look, the chiclet keyboard looks better. But I would argue that a vast majority of people would prefer the MBP keyboard. Why else wouldn't chiclet keyboards not have taken over the aftermarket keyboard scene? Think of what you would prefer to type on if your eyes were closed...

have you used it for more than a few seconds? its better. and the vast majority or just you? My friends who own mbps say the "chiclet" keys are easier to type on. Except one, but he hasn't type on a chiclet keyboard yet. some ppl on this forum just love to whine... hence why some ppl think chiclet keys suck, when actually they're arent that bad, rather pretty good.

5) Matte screen. Preference? Yes, but a lot better for those who want to do graphic design.

If you do serious graphic work on a laptop, then enough said. matte is worse, since it bends light coming out and going in. glossy is just a pane of glass. yes, Jobs said that screen is covered by a single pane of glass, no coating.

6) Firewire. N'uff said.

USB 2.0 is 480mbps. FireWire 400 is 400mbps. So why have a FireWire port? USB is more widely used, hence UNIVERSAL serial bus.

The final factor that puts the nail in the MB coffin is resale value. The p.g. MBP has become the last, most powerful option for graphic designers who want - maybe even need - firewire and matte screens.

This argument is seriously flawed. If you compared the new MBP vs. the old MBP, I'd give your argument some leeway. But this is absurd. You're saying just because the lower end laptop doesn't have matte and firewire, even if its firewire 800, unless you have raid, the speed is 400mbps, which is slower than USB 2.0; it is worse than a Pro laptop.

I figure in 3-4 years when my applecare (no worrying at all about graphics cards) runs out, I'll be sitting on a computer that I can easily resell - a classic that is still usefull.

This is entirely your opinion. So you're saying the new mbs and mbps is useless? your logic reasoning is the useless component here. when you resell your mbp, its not you who decides the pricing, its the buyers. if all the buyers think like you, god forbid. we'd still have the designs of the first macs ever made.

The best part of it all, I got this beauty of a machine for only 1399 at the apple education clearance store. Get them while you still can!

PS don't bother with the 512MB version, they say it makes no difference.

This is flawed logic as well. You are comparing retail prices for educational prices. OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE MORE EXPENSIVE! you know what CLEARANCE means right? assuming you do, the 512mb version DOES make a difference to those of us that have logic reasoning and clear knowledge about graphics. you probably don't even use your mbp for what it was made for. thus you don't know the difference of 256mb and 512mb in graphics chip ram.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
This is flawed logic as well. You are comparing retail prices for educational prices. OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE MORE EXPENSIVE! you know what CLEARANCE means right? assuming you do, the 512mb version DOES make a difference to those of us that have logic reasoning and clear knowledge about graphics. you probably don't even use your mbp for what it was made for. thus you don't know the difference of 256mb and 512mb in graphics chip ram.

I appreciate your comments, however I do disagree with this one. A review I read a while back and the Apple Genius confirmed that the 8600 graphics card on the pro's cannot utilize more than 256 MB of ram efficiently. The differences in the benchmarks were extremely minor.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
No, I'm an engineer and would never make such a rash decision. I had to go to the store instead of ordering a new MB online and assuming that all backlit LED's are created equal because I saw this review:

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-review

Ryan, you can see for yourself that there is a significant difference. It's pretty staggering, really.

I then talked to three Apple Geniuses and they all unhesitatingly said that there is no comparison and that they all are sticking to either a new pro or their old pros. it should be noted that they were not selling any old pros so by reccomending me the prior generation ones, they actually lost a sale!

For someone who claims to take the cautious approach of an engineer, the title of your thread is anything but reasoned. The new MacBook may not meet your requirements, but saying that it "sucks" is unfair, IMO.

Like you, I went to the Apple store to see one for myself. I'm looking for a replacement for my G4 PowerBook, and I was planning on getting the revised Air - I mostly use my laptop while traveling, and weight is an issue. I was pleasantly surprised by the MB. At 4.5 lbs., it feels considerably lighter than my PB and the MB Pro, yet it has a very solid feel. The glossy display isn't my preference, but there's no choice if I don't want the previous generation. Viewing angle isn't an issue for me, nor is the lack of FW.

I also found the new trackpad easy to use, despite the lack of separate buttons. And I've used so many keyboards over the years that I can get used to anything with time. So the MB is a great choice for me. I can respect your decision to go with the previous MBP without saying that it "sucks." How about you doing the same?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
...So the MB is a great choice for me. I can respect your decision to go with the previous MBP without saying that it "sucks." How about you doing the same?

OK people, fair enough, If I could change the title, I would call it "Why the Macbook is less preferable to me - and why I feel it's better to get a prior gen MBP".

To each their own. Enjoy your Macs people.

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.