Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnnyseeth

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 18, 2022
I've had the M2 MBA for a few weeks now. Midnight Blue. 24 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, maxed out essentially. I've owned almost every Apple laptop ever made. I used to run a Website that covered the history of Apple laptops. I also use to buy and sell used Apple laptops, take them apart, mod them, etc.

My favourite Apple laptop of all time was the Wallstreet PowerBook. Now, the MBA M2 has taken the crown. My 14" MBP M1 is collecting dust as I continue to reach for and extensively use the MBA. Here are my reasons as to why the MBA M2 is the best laptop Apple has ever made:

• Thin and light beyond thin and light: this is effectively the thinnest and lightest laptop Apple has ever made (yes the smaller 'netbook' 12" MacBook is an exception). I can't stress enough what this brings to the user experience. It's like an iPad in a way, but a full and powerful laptop. This is one major and significant factor of why the M2 MBA is such a good laptop.
  • It looks really good, especially the midnight blue (subjective I know).
  • The keyboard is very good and isn't compromised over the MBPs.
  • The screen is very good, and this is coming from a user of a 14" MBP with a mini-LED display. I honestly don't notice much difference when I use the M2 MBA over the 14" MBP. They really improved the screen over the M1 MBA.
  • It's very fast. The M2 is really a solid performer and I notice no speed differences between the M2 MBA and the 14" MBP.
  • Best battery life this side of Texas. I'm getting over 10 hours consistently, in low power mode I may even reach 12 hours.
  • It doesn't heat up much, and yet still manages to deliver power.
  • Dead. Silent. Operation. No fans, no moving parts.
Things I don't like: notch (hate it) and the speaker quality isn't great but ok.

Apple has delivered an extremely light and thin and small laptop with little compromise on usability or power. Sing it with me:

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I absolutely love mine and I think if it’s bought for the proper purpose it will give a good user experience. I don’t think this is the laptop to buy if you need the most powerful laptop. This is the laptop that will do what most people do on the Internet. In a pinch I think you can get anything done with it but you may have some reduced performance. If waiting an extra 30 seconds for that video to render is acceptable then it will get the job done.

The things I like about it would be pretty much the whole thing. The notch doesn’t even bother me because it’s in the menu bar. I don’t even notice it anymore just like I don’t notice the notch on my iPhone.

So far there’s only two things I don’t like about it. Apple made the power key every key on the keyboard. I tried to wrap my head around this can’t figure any reason why they would do something so dumb other than it’s just Apple being Apple. I can see any key to wake from sleep but not as a power key. This is only a minor annoyance because it doesn’t cause problems in day to day use. The other thing is the bottom of the laptop is cold compared to Intel MacBooks. This is a problem when I’m wearing shorts and I put it on my lap. There’s nothing like cold aluminum on my legs. The Intel processor used to keep it warm. Maybe they need to put a heating element in the bottom… Just kidding that would kill the battery 😂😂

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Thin and light beyond thin and light: this is effectively the thinnest and lightest laptop Apple has ever made (yes the smaller netbook MBA is an exception). I can't stress enough what this brings to the user experience. It's like an iPad in a way, but a full and powerful laptop. This is one major and significant factor of why the M2 MBA is such a good laptop.

Now, I created a thread on this today.

You talk as though the ‘thin and light beyond thin and light’ is revolutionary, but it’s almost exactly the same as my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Did you have a MacBook Pro from around that time? Because if you did, I’m extremely surprised and slightly baffled as to why you’d describe this M2 Air form factor in the way you have.

It’s a brilliant laptop, so fast, but it’s the same as the 2017 MacBook Pro for ‘thin and light’.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

You talk as though the ‘thin and light beyond thin and light’ is revolutionary, but it’s almost exactly the same as my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Did you have a MacBook Pro from around that time? Because if you did, I’m extremely surprised and slightly baffled as to why you’d describe this M2 Air form factor in the way you have.

It’s a brilliant laptop, so fast, but it’s the same as the 2017 MacBook Pro for ‘thin and light’.

I pasted the dimensions of both below from the Apple website. It’s close and probably to the point where most people wouldn’t notice but the M2 still has the advantage. The big difference is processing power. That 2017 MacBook Pro was terrible IMO. It should’ve never had the Pro name. That was when Johnny Ives was pushing thin and light on everything. Dual core processor and Intel iris graphics… It was a great MacBook Air but definitely not a Pro. I’m so glad he’s gone. Perhaps he would’ve been helpful as a design influence but they let him have way too much power to control the production.

2017 MacBook Pro

• Height: 0.59 inch (1.49 cm)
  • Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
  • Depth: 8.36 inches (21.24 cm)
  • Weight: 3.02 pounds (1.37 kg)3

M2 MacBook Air

• Height: 0.44 inch (1.13 cm)
  • Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
  • Depth: 8.46 inches (21.5 cm)
  • Weight: 2.7 pounds (1.24 kg

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the macbook a person owns and enjoys the most (or, at least, has the best experience on) is the best one apple has ever made (at least, until the next macbook you buy and might like even better).

my 12" macbook was my fave ever; my new M2 air is my best one ever (key word: "my")...

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
It's good to know that the newest and most expensive MBA ever is the best laptop Apple has ever made with the best design, battery life, fastest chip, fastest SSD, oh wait...

The MacBook Air launched for $1799 in 2008, with a 1.6GHz Core2Duo, an 80GB 4200RPM PATA hard drive from an iPod, X3100 graphics, and 2GB of RAM, with a single USB port that was hidden in a drop-down door. Battery life was 3-4 hours. If you wanted a 64GB SSD option it was $1000 extra.

Oh, and it didn't even get 10.8.

Tell me more about how bad the M2 is. /s

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
I've had the M2 MBA for a few weeks now. Midnight Blue. 24 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, maxed out essentially. I've owned almost every Apple laptop ever made. I used to run a Website that covered the history of Apple laptops. I also use to buy and sell used Apple laptops, take them apart, mod them, etc.

My favourite Apple laptop of all time was the Wallstreet PowerBook. Now, the MBA M2 has taken the crown. My 14" MBP M1 is collecting dust as I continue to reach for and extensively use the MBA. Here are my reasons as to why the MBA M2 is the best laptop Apple has ever made:

• Thin and light beyond thin and light: this is effectively the thinnest and lightest laptop Apple has ever made (yes the smaller netbook MBA is an exception). I can't stress enough what this brings to the user experience. It's like an iPad in a way, but a full and powerful laptop. This is one major and significant factor of why the M2 MBA is such a good laptop.
  • The screen is very good, and this is coming from a user of a 14" MBP with a mini-LED display. I honestly don't notice much difference when I use the M2 MBA over the 14" MBP. They really improved the screen over the M1 MBA.
  • It's very fast. The M2 is really a solid performer and I notice no speed differences between the M2 MBA and the 14" MBP.
  • Best battery life this side of Texas. I'm getting over 10 hours consistently, in low power mode I may even reach 12 hours.
Things I don't like: notch (hate it) and the speaker quality isn't great but ok.

Apple has delivered an extremely light and thin and small laptop with little compromise on usability or power. Sing it with me:

Kinda sad that the 4 speakers system doesn't sound as good as the MBA m1 2 speaker's

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm curious what the laptop history website was.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

• Thin and light beyond thin and light: this is effectively the thinnest and lightest laptop Apple has ever made (yes the smaller netbook MBA is an exception). I can't stress enough what this brings to the user experience. It's like an iPad in a way, but a full and powerful laptop. This is one major and significant factor of why the M2 MBA is such a good laptop.

It’s great except it lacks a Touch Bar.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010

hows the midnight? fingerprint galore as all are saying?

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019

Yeah, I purposefully avoided the 2016-2019 MacBook pros. I had a loaner 2017 15 inch MBP when my rMBP was being repaired, I was blown away that it was no faster at all than my machine, and got ridiculously hot. My wife had the 2016 13" and it was slow, loud, and hot, never mind the constant (3) keyboard replacements, battery replacement and logic board replacement. I got her a refurbed M1 MBA, she's loved it, no problems, better keyboard, quiet and runs cool. If that's 30mm longer in one dimension, the trade off is completely worth it.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
A laptop is only the best if it fulfills the needs of its user better than any other laptop. It sounds like the M2 MBA is doing that for you. Unfortunately, it is not the best for me because a high contrast display with true blacks and a larger display are things I highly value in laptops.

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Respectfully disagree. I went to the local Apple Store and got to hold and see it in person. I was not that impressed. The MacBook Pro 14” and 16” are much better value and a better all around solid design and bang for your money.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Respectfully disagree. I went to the local Apple Store and got to hold and see it in person. I was not that impressed. The MacBook Pro 14” and 16” are much better value and a better all around solid design and bang for your money.
the pros are great macs; the air is great for people who don't need the power of the MBPs. there's room for both in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.