Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I am quite certain the m2 air, configured correctly, could run circles around my top o’ the line 2015 MBp. If the screen was larger and better, and could do more than one external display, I would seriously consider it. I’d miss the ports of the pro though.

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
PSA for fellow notch haters, you can set it to a 16:10 resolution using an app like SwitchResX and it hides it completely. Makes it look like a normal MacBook again. Probably more effective on Mini LED screen since it's so dark it blends in with the glass, but worth a shot on M2 MBA's.
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.20.38 PM.png

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
PSA for fellow notch haters, you can set it to a 16:10 resolution using an app like SwitchResX and it hides it completely. Makes it look like a normal MacBook again. Probably more effective on Mini LED screen since it's so dark it blends in with the glass, but worth a shot on M2 MBA's.
View attachment 2045086
The classic wallpaper! I wish I had that one still... and if it did dark mode. Reminds me of my Powerbook Ti G4 from back in the day :)

Reactions: madebybela

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
that's an incredible overstatement. millions of people thrived on (& enjoyed working on) ive-era macbooks. even my 12" macbook (which got pretty warm sometimes) was still an incredible thing (just for what it was).

macbook designs are somewhat more 'tech-first/aesthetic second' now (not a bad thing). but ive was incredible.
that 12 is a beauty!! maybe its my luck but seems everything I have he worked on gets overheated, bad speakers, cramped, etc

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
View attachment 2045086
How did you make the menu bar look white?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
that's a ridiculous idea. apple survived the loss of steve jobs, and it's survived the loss of ive. the company continues to grow, innovate. there's a lot of moving parts (ie talented people) making apple work... and it does (work).
On top of that, the “notch” debuted while Jony Ive was the CDO. Didn’t he even say “embrace the notch”? Also, he designed the Titanium PowerBooks that the current MacBook Air/Pro takes cues from.

Reactions: mgscheue

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I'm sure the M2 is very good, but greatest Apple laptop ever made? Some tough competition if we go by the standards of the time. PowerBook 100, TiBook, Wallstreet, the 2012 Retina MBP and the 2015 MacBook are tough to beat in my eyes!

Interesting that you rate it so highly above the 14 inch MBP. I am typing this on a 14 inch I picked up yesterday in part because the M2 Air didn't really seem quite there for the (UK) price. Am loving the 14 inch so far!

Reactions: calstanford

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
people are saying it’s 25% thinner than the 2017/18 MBP but have you actually held both at the same time??

I’m holding both right now. I cannot see the difference. If it’s 25% thinner then that’s an illusion with how it’s curves on the base. In real life they look and feel very similar.

• Love
Reactions: calstanford

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
people are saying it’s 25% thinner than the 2017/18 MBP but have you actually held both at the same time??

I’m holding both right now. I cannot see the difference. If it’s 25% thinner then that’s an illusion with how it’s curves on the base. In real life they look and feel very similar.
Put them on a table side by side and take a picture then

Reactions: G5isAlive

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure the M2 is very good, but greatest Apple laptop ever made? Some tough competition if we go by the standards of the time. PowerBook 100, TiBook, Wallstreet, the 2012 Retina MBP and the 2015 MacBook are tough to beat in my eyes!

Interesting that you rate it so highly above the 14 inch MBP. I am typing this on a 14 inch I picked up yesterday in part because the M2 Air didn't really seem quite there for the (UK) price. Am loving the 14 inch so far!
The 2017 MacBook (and even the 2016) was a massive improvement over the 2015. The first one was like the first MacBook Air in that it had an underpowered processor prone to throttling. The 2017 version wasn’t a speed demon but it handled basic tasks much better. I still think that design would work well with the M1.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
View attachment 2045086

Hey, just want to give a huge shoutout for the Tiger Wallpaper. Best wallpaper Apple ever released - I love that one, the Ladybug, and the Clownfish.

Johnnyseeth

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 18, 2022
Now, I created a thread on this today.

You talk as though the ‘thin and light beyond thin and light’ is revolutionary, but it’s almost exactly the same as my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Did you have a MacBook Pro from around that time? Because if you did, I’m extremely surprised and slightly baffled as to why you’d describe this M2 Air form factor in the way you have.

It’s a brilliant laptop, so fast, but it’s the same as the 2017 MacBook Pro for ‘thin and light’.
Wrong. The 2017 MBP is 3.02 lbs and .59 inches thick. The M2 MBA is 2.7 lbs and .44 inches thick.

Johnnyseeth

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 18, 2022
the pros are great macs; the air is great for people who don't need the power of the MBPs. there's room for both in the world.
This is what I get tired of hearing. Do you own one? Because the M2 Air is not just for light tasks, it is holding its own against my M1 Max MBP. I am going to do some video on side by side comparisons.

Johnnyseeth

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 18, 2022
Except in anything single core which is what most people use the air for, not heavy multithreaded work loads. Speedometer 2.0 test has the air 150 points higher, geekbench single core higher as well. Sorry to hurt your feelings about that but the air is no slouch, it’s just not a heavy duty sustained machine, which it was never intended to be. But it flys through day to day tasks and faster then the pros
Unless a person owns a M2 Air, they are just repeating what some others say. The M2 Air is a beast, it is not just for light duty. Remember my M2 Air is maxed out.

Reactions: geekiemac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.