Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I'm curious why forum owners included a politics section at MacRumors. My experience is that politics tends to divide. There are endless places to participate in political discussion, why must it be also present on a computer forum?

Question to forum admins: Would it be possible to give members a way to remove the political threads from appearing in "New Posts"?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm curious why forum owners included a politics section at MacRumors. My experience is that politics tends to divide. There are endless places to participate in political discussion, why must it be also present on a computer forum?

Question to forum admins: Would it be possible to give members a way to remove the political threads from appearing in "New Posts"?
You can also hide replies in ignored forums from showing up in the "Latest Replies" sidebar.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I think it comes down to the fact that some main articles will inherently be political in nature. This isn't just a computer forum, but an Apple forum, and Apple as a corporation makes political decisions sometimes. When a main article comes up on this subject, having a forum section in the fora can keep it away from other threads. Plus it facilitates easily setting constraints for posting on political subjects which can limit spam-posters

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I post every once in a blue moon to PRSI, but for the most part I just read the comments. It's basically a bunch of people complaining about what should or should not be done in Washington D.C. and in the end it really doesn't matter. Though it's good to get it off you chest like the old saying goes.
I don't think anyone could've written a better description.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I post every once in a blue moon to PRSI, but for the most part I just read the comments. It's basically a bunch of people complaining about what should or should not be done in Washington D.C. and in the end it really doesn't matter. Though it's good to get it off you chest like the old saying goes.

I don't think anyone could've written a better description.

There is more to political discussion (and debate and analysis) than fulminating over what happens in Washington DC.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
There is more to political discussion (and debate and analysis) than fulminating over what happens in Washington DC.
And if you were to post about something thoughtful and substantive in the PRSI forum it would drop off like a rock, for the most part. Unfortunately, controversial topics are typically the only ones to survive in there.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And if you were to post about something thoughtful and substantive in the PRSI forum it would drop off like a rock, for the most part. Unfortunately, controversial topics are typically the only ones to survive in there.

Yes, that has been the case, unfortunately, on occasion.

What I find depressing is a tendency to insult a poster with whom you may find yourself disagreeing, rather than taking issue with their arguments.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

What I find depressing is a tendency to insult a poster with whom you may find yourself disagreeing, rather than taking issue with there arguments.
If it's not too controversial maybe Community Discussion is a better fit, the intelligence level in there seems a tad bit higher than the likes of PRSI. (I'm really talking about you coffee snobs, you know who you are!)
:p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If it's not too controversial maybe Community Discussion is a better fit, the intelligence level in there seems a tad bit higher than the likes of PRSI. (I'm really talking about you coffee snobs, you know who you are!)
:p

Whatever about the intelligence level, the temperate tone found in most of the Community Discussion threads is certainly a lot more agreeable.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Because without one, the political post and bickering would end up in the normal forum subsections.

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018

Agreed.
The Trolls and Naerdoorwells that Drool and Post their Hatefilled Political Posts should stay under the Bridge and not be allowed to infect a wonderful forum like Mac Rumors!!

Reactions: PC_tech and mikzn

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Only times I go to PRSI is when it appears in the latest replies section. Haven't really followed politics since the 2000s so most of it is complete news to me. I'm probably going to ignore it now so I can see more Mac related content in latest replies.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
So does the iPhone.

Seriously.

As a PRSI "regular", I've come across plenty of bickering and divisiveness in the Apple sections of the forum, particularly when it comes to griping about issues with devices. People are called "hater" and "whiner" for posting about their problems with their Mac. It can be very frustrating. It isn't just PRSI where you will find arguing and pettiness.

Most forums I've been a member of have an "off topic" section where members can discuss things not related to the forum's primary purpose. Sometimes politics isn't allowed in the off-topic section, but this site allows it under the larger umbrella of non-Apple discussion.

But then you have the situations where Tim Cook involves himself in politics so the Apple side of the forum and the politics side mesh.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Seriously.

As a PRSI "regular", I've come across plenty of bickering and divisiveness in the Apple sections of the forum, particularly when it comes to griping about issues with devices. People are called "hater" and "whiner" for posting about their problems with their Mac. It can be very frustrating. It isn't just PRSI where you will find arguing and pettiness.

Most forums I've been a member of have an "off topic" section where members can discuss things not related to the forum's primary purpose. Sometimes politics isn't allowed in the off-topic section, but this site allows it under the larger umbrella of non-Apple discussion.

But then you have the situations where Tim Cook involves himself in politics so the Apple side of the forum and the politics side mesh.

Absolutely agree.

Indeed, reading this thread I am curious to note that some who dislike the "hateful" and "hate filled" atmosphere of the PRSI section seem to have little trouble with the intemperate tone found in many of the iPhone threads.

Besides, politics, and political acts are found in every walk of life and seep into every aspect of life.

I do not think it credible to discuss Apple, and technology on the one hand, yet overlook - at a macro level - the transformational social and economic effect of such technology on our world, still less the extraordinary (and largely unaccountable) political and economic and social power this awards to some, and - on a more intimate micro level - such discussions cannot credibly exclude Apple's labour policies and tax practices. These are all interconnected.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm

What I find depressing is a tendency to insult a poster with whom you may find yourself disagreeing, rather than taking issue with there arguments.
What is "wrong" with the world is that everything explained in Plato’s Allegory of the Cave is experienced all the time. When you even think about revealing that whatever others have cherished their entire lives is nothing but flimsy shadows and they have been lied and manipulated, the VERY FIRST response is to attack whoever is creating doubt. Because the truth has no importance, only our pathetic emotions and subjective rules that make us feel safe and accepted by the other monkeys in our group.

If there’s one thing I truly despise above the rest is this dependency, this need of being accepted, this perversion of our individuality, for the benefit of those in power.

I don’t pity most people out there, these zombies simply bore me with so much predictability. In ancient times someone would be shamed forever, no matter how powerful or influential the guy was, if he couldn’t defend his ideas. Sometimes there wasn’t any conclusion from the debate, just a stalemate (which is OK, keep trying). Nowadays you think you are sooooooo smart because you read a thousand books and forget the fact you didn’t discuss a single paragraph with the authors. In other words you only have a good memory to retain worthless data. Big deal. You are not questioning anything, not being "inconvenient" enough.

The modern men response to different opinions is to cry on his social networks while desperately try to avoid any possibility of being wrong. For someone that lived his entire life lying to others and especially to himself the truth is a lot worse than death.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Follow the money. Lots of ad views = money for @arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.