Why there WILL be a FaceTime compatable front-facing camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EllieV, Aug 10, 2010.

1. EllieV macrumors 6502

To convince people who think there will not be a front cam, and to express my views on why there will be. I believe very strongly that there will be a front cam, and here's why: (please pardon spelling and punctuation errors, as this was done on a first gen iPod Touch)

Steve jobs said there will be tens of millions of facetime devices shipped in 2010. There have not been tens of millions of iPhone 4s. AND he said devices, not iPhone 4s, hinting that there may e other facetime compatible devices.

There have been countless leaked front panels of the next touch. They all show a hole centered in the front. The hole is too large to be a sensor, it is the perfect size for a front facing camera.

In iOS 4.1, there is email based facetime, providing a different method of initiating a facetime call. That means there may be a device without a phone number which is facetime compatable.

iFixit's Kyle Weins checked out iPhone 4 parts compared to the touch. He announce the front facing cam can easily fit in the current touch design.

I did some research and checked out the iSuppli's teardown of the iPhone 4. They reported that the front facing VGA camera was a $1.00 component, so it would defonately be profitable to add, and is possible

Apple clearly loves facetime and wants to promote it. The only commercials for the iPhone 4 are about facetime. If apple really wants to promote facetime, they would add it on to different devices. As to provide greater access, especially to people who don't want to pay monthly data fees.

The iPhone 4 has it. Think about it, the iPod touch has been very close to the iPhone. The only difference has been the phone part (which I don't believe I need to justify) and the camera. They excluded the camera to have a groundbreaking release, and they didn't want to add a crappy 2 mp camera.

Adding a front facing camera would easily put the touch ahead of competitors. No other iPod touch-like device has a front cam. And a front cam in this can do so much, including videochat. Which competetors can not say they can do.

Common sense! think about it a front cam makes so much sense in an iPod touch. And look at these reasons! It can be put in, uncostly, it has support in iOS, apple want to promote it, all of this!!!

If this does not convince you, you are obviously very stubborn, OCD, and needs to always get your way.

2. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I was wondering if you were going to post this. Make it a sticky. :D

3. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

Too bad I can't do that :(
    I liked this soo much when I posted it as a convincing argument, I HAD to have it be it's own thread.

4. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I concur. :)

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The question is rather why there won't be a frontfacing camera. Have a look at the iSight, it started as a addon camera, now it is included in every Mac and the LED Display.

Apple does this kind of technology introduction over time allover their model-line. iSights are nothing else then the frontfacing cameras, and they could also be able to make FaceTime calls in 10.7 - via eMail adresses.

- Hurray, I'm an 6502 :)

6. gta50419 macrumors 6502

ipod 4 will most likely have it but i hope not....all i want is the 5mp hd back camara/vga
    facetime is soo pointless for an ipod imo

facetime wont sell ipods, a back hd camara will

7. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Highlighted in Red:
    Not gonna happen...

8. gta50419 macrumors 6502

i don't see why not, iphone has one....
    some says they'll put the same cam that's in the nano, that'll just piss ppl off :(

9. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

10. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Highlighted in red:

Now convince me why you think they will mimic the design of the iPhone 4. iPods have a unique design and should keep it that way. ONE of the iPhone 4's best features is its unique design and why people buy such a phone.

Apple want to keep their sales on the iPhone, however it will decrease over time if this new iTouch does get a similar design (no matter how much we want that design to be on the iPod Touch 4G).

11. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I know they would have to increase the touch in size, and I thought apple may decide to make it similar to iPhone 4. And no matter what design the touch gets, it will NOT cannibalize iPhone sales, that's just ridiculous.

12. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

All im saying is they shouldn't mimic the iPhone, be original.

13. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Why not? Isnt that part only $10 or something?

15. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Don't you realise? A 5MP camera for an iPod Touch would mean making the newer model, thicker, like the present iPhone 4.

The iPod Touch's design at the moment can't fit in such a camera (5MP). The camera is approx 6.5mm thick, whereas the actual iPod itself is only 6mm thick, thus-enabling the whole design of the iPod Touch 4G to change, and that is unlikely...

Apple needs to be original :)

16. gta50419 macrumors 6502

i think it's highly likely, keeping the same design for years is a bad look on apple part and bad for sales

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

The Touch will most likely become thicker anyway due to all the other components that will be most likely added. :)

18. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

TRUST, the iTouch will NOT get a 5MP camera! If, as speculated by others, it gets a dual-camera (one front, one back), then it almost 100% wont get a 5MP camera as at will not fit in the current design, and i can assure you that they will not mimic the iPhone 4's design for a cost-effective price.

Think about it, all these demands your wanting will just keep you miserable when the actual product is released, because the iPod Touch needs to be kept at a low price so its easy to "nab", adding high features like the 5MP camera will push the price to its max, especially if you do want the 5MP camera as it would need a new design which will cause Apple to pay more for...

Think about it, its not as easy as it sounds... :apple:

19. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

It wouldn't even need to be that thick either. IF apple was going to treat their costumers to a 5 MP camera, the touch would only need to be a massively bulky 6 mm. Is that a crime or something? I don't think so.

20. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

The 5MP camera itself is 6.5mm, so the iPod touch would still have to be bigger, and if you do continue to enlarge the ipod, it would eventually become the same thickness as the iPhone 4 and that is something that Apple wants to avoid... The iPod touch is designed to be thin, not thick (ish)...

21. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Ok, 7 mm. I guess that still isn't too bad. But thats just me. Would it be that bad? Or is that to close to iPhone territory?

22. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I would be happy with the 3mp camera...atleast its something :eek:
    and facetime would be sweet...
    can't wait for september...have been waiting for the new ipod since april :D

23. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

My guess would be 7mm wouldn't be too bad, seeing as the iPhone 4 is 9.8mm. Only an extra 1mm for, a hopefully, HD quality camera. But then again, its the matter of re-designing the whole iPod touch if your gonna add the extra 1mm.

Maybe an Aluminum backing instead of the scratchy shiny chrome? Because we all know how much Apple loves their Aluminum.

24. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

As long as its marginally the same width/depth, then i wouldn't mind a 3.2MP camera, i was planning to buy the 3rd generation until i stumbled across a new release, so anything else is a bonus i guess. :rolleyes:

25. Ryuu117 macrumors member

Okay, let's lay down the law - iPod touch WON'T get the 5MP camera. MAYBE HD video, but more than likely VGA. It most likely won't get a back facing camera anymore, since Apple is gonna do the least they can and charge you the most money. We will more than likely see Retina, A4 and a new design. It WON'T get 3G capability, or MicroSD slots, etc. It's gonna be a new iPod touch. with a front facing camera. possibly 3.2MP with VGA@30FPS. And all the new upgrades mentioned earlier. Maybe not even a redesign. And the reintroduction of 16GB.