why today was my last day with 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kapper, Aug 11, 2008.

1. kapper macrumors newbie

First of all my only reason for posting is to share my experience in suburban Chicago with the 3G. I was a happy owner of the 2G model and upgraded last month. I was a very happy owner of the original iphone and only wanted to upgrade so that I could do 2 things

1. surf quicker
    2. use the data connection without missing calls (which is a big problem if your devise is set up to receive email automatically on edge)

I am a loyal Apple user although far from a "fanboy"

In my opinion the 3G falls very short of meeting expectations. The biggest problem of the phone is simply the "phone". I was shocked at how many calls were being dropped on the ATT 3G network. I really don't care to point fingers at who is to blame but I kept thinking to myself - do I really want to risk this type of performance for the next 2 years.

I keep reading about all sorts of workarounds for the shortcomings from the phone but that is very un-apple. The phrase that many of us have come to associate with apple is "it just works" This is not the case with the 3G (at least in Northbrook, IL).

I have decided to go back to my 2G and enjoy the old version of the phone. My only point is to share my experience with other potential users. You have 30 days to return the phone from the date of purchase. Apple was kind enough to not charge me any restocking fee and were very willing to work with me to try and make it right. After making a visit to the Apple store a regular event over the past month I finally gave up.

I hope to hear that in the future I will be able to make business calls without having to worry about calls being dropped consistently.

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I could certainly see how that's frustrating to me. I do experience some dropped calls but this is my first time with AT&T and I heard that's just "what they do". :rolleyes:

Good luck with your 2G iPhone, it's certainly still a great phone, especially if you don't get decent 3G anyway.

3. Canuck22 macrumors newbie

At least the original doesn't suffer from the cracked casings like all three replacements of my 3G have. :mad:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

While I will be the first to admit that there are some problems, I can tell you that at least your dropped calls is not a problem with the phone, but with your local at&t service. For some reason a number of 3G towers will not fail calls over to EDGE fast enough if they leave the 3G service. Some metro areas are less prone to it than others, like Seattle, Portland, Detroit, and Indy, while others seem to have it happen almost constantly, like Chicago, New York, and LA. Likely it is a vendor problem that at&t can correct quickly.

TEG

5. kapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Some metro areas are less prone to it than others, like Seattle, Portland, Detroit, and Indy, while others seem to have it happen almost constantly, like Chicago, New York, and LA. Likely it is a vendor problem that at&t can correct quickly.

and when the problem is solved I will consider coming back to the phone. In the meantime, the problem is very real and once the 30 day window passes you are stuck with the phone regardless if the service improves or not.

By getting out now, as the consumer I get to hold the cards.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

The 3G voice service here is awful; static blasting in and out, calls dropping, etc. I've been kicking around what kapper did. I originally upgraded for the exact same reasons, but man..

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've heard 'Chicago' mentioned in many, many complaint threads.

It sounds like the service there is really bad since it keeps coming up.

For the record, I'm very pleased with the 3G service in Washington DC and surrounding areas. The only dead zones I've found (of which there are several, yes) are also dead to EDGE and my old T-Mobile phone going back 10 years. Some places are just more difficult than others.

But city-wide, on average, I'm happy.

8. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

Atlanta's 3G service is pretty decent. I've been hearing a lot of issues from people in other cities and metro areas though that haven't been so lucky as us here in Atlanta. Sucks. Only problem I had was 3G reception on the fringes was bad the first few days as everyone toyed with iPhones (cell breathing, likely). It's been fine since shortly after that.

But yeah, if it isn't working out for you, I don't blame you for returning it. AT&T has had UMTS in the U.S. since AT&T Wireless back in 2003 or 2004. You'd think that after Cingular/AT&T acquired them and had some of their own network built out pre-acquisition, things would be in better shape by now. After all, it's been four or five years since UMTS networks started in the U.S., and they started mainly with both the carriers that are now one in AT&T Mobility. Only when the iPhone 3G was imminent did they scramble to reasonably improve their network. Same as they did with EDGE speed last year, pre-iPhone launch. And it's still not as good as it should be.

9. btcutter macrumors 6502

Why don't you leave it on Edge mode most of the time for "phone" and use 3G when you need to surf. If I am in area with very good 3G then I leave it on 3G to get the benefits.

I do this quit a bit to 1. get better reception, 2. MUCH better battery life.

What do you gain by going back to the original iPhone?? certainly not price.

10. kapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Why don't you leave it on Edge mode most of the time for "phone" and use 3G when you need to surf. If I am in area with very good 3G then I leave it on 3G to get the benefits.

I rely on receiving my emails quickly so I need to have my email checked often. If I use the iphone on edge (2G) and my phone is using the data connection to check emails the phone will not ring and my calls will go directly into voicemail. This was the MAIN reason I was excited about 3G. I would finally stop missing so many phone calls

Like I said - I'm not looking for "work around" type solutions. I'm simply sharing my experiences for others benefits who may be considering the phone who may be in a similar situation to me. If the network improves I can always come back and buy the phone but since Apple has elected to not respond to those concerns I won't allow myself to get trapped in a contract.

11. kapper thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you gain by going back to the original iPhone?? certainly not price

Disagree,

In the long run if I'm going to have to turn 3G off the new phone will cost me more than what I currently have. The extra $10 per month for the 3G service.

I think it is wrong that ATT is charging this fee for a clearly "faulty" network.

Once again this is in my market - Chicago.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My statement was because I have friends near Lake Orion who have had no problems. Same is true for my friends in Grosse Point, Taylor, Novi, and Bloomfield Twp. The city itself may have problems or some of the closer suburbs.

TEG

13. btcutter macrumors 6502

You have every right to return the phone if you are unsatisfied with the service in the area (Chicago). I think anyone who buys any phone needs to consider first and foremost the service provider in the area. The phone isn't worth much if it can't even receive a call.

It's definitely not cheap with the 3G service plan. But IF you can get faster data it's worth it to me, esp with the GPS service which is great with the mapping application.

Good luck!

14. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Your problem is not the phone it is the service in your specific area. Go with another carrier or wait for it to improve. In most areas the phone and service achieve the two things you stated with flying colors.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm inclined to agree - 3G coverage here is excellent and the sound clarity on calls plus the call reliability is consistently solid.

16. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Oh I know; I agree; certain cities around here are much better than others. I drive through about 4 cities on my way home from work; some are fine, some pretty rough. Just generally speaking, it's pretty inconsistent right now.

17. rufhausen macrumors regular

If there was a 3G on/off toggle on the home screen, this is something I wouldn't mind. But as it stands now, you have to drill down several screens to get to the 3G switch. There needs to be a way to make "shortcuts" to specific iphone settings.

18. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I can certainly understand that.

AT&T's coverage just stinks. It's completely deplorable. Rarely do I have more than two bars in DC. In bldgs and my house, it's usually one and always edge.

It's embarrassing to have calls repeatedly drop, to not be able to hear the other party or them hear you, etc.

Verizon's old "can you hear me now" may be cliche, but it's 100% true. I've used Verizon wireless since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile in 84 and their service coverage is simply unbeatable. With AT&T I have calls drop or "call failed" every day in an urban environment in a major US city. That's just not excusable. Dropped calls on Verizon were rare at best and something I only encountered when way out in the sticks. When I recently was going through a "can you hear me now" thing with a friend, I realized that I couldn't remember the last time that had happened when I was on Verizon.

And the data coverage isn't even comparable. Verizon's EVDO is everywhere. I'm on edge probably 50% of the time with AT&T in a major city.

AT&T's coverage is a joke.

My WM treo did way more than my iphone is capable of and had great signal quality to boot. If it wasn't for mobile me keeping my wife's and my calendar and contacts all synced up I'd be back with Verizon and a WM Treo in a minute.

19. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

its funny. I bought my iphone 2G back in MAY. I got flamed beyond BELIEF for not waiting till the 3G came out.

my arguement was why do i need 3G? I know for a fact it is bad in this area.. I DONT need GPS as i already have an AWESOME nuvii (whichi think KILLS the iphone in GPS capability) and well, i am happy with edge.

My ONLY reason for WANTING 3G was the ability to receive calls while transmitting data, but its not too bad, i dont transmit data while i am in the car, and i usually use wifi at home or work, so it all works out just fine for me..

I just think its funny how badly i got it, and know people are complaining about the same reasons why i didnt want one in the first place. I'm not saying you guys individually, but still..

The 3G will be GREAT when the coverage cartches up with the technology. I think ATT just wanted to come out with the new phone so they can compete with Verizon because they KNEW verizon WOULD come out with a touch screen phone like the iphone soon anyways, and they would have the upper hand in the 3G markets.. they just got ahead of themselves. ATT should have upgraded the 3G a LONG time ago

20. applehappy macrumors regular

So, tell ATT that you are unhappy with your 3g performace due to dropped and bad calls. I'm in Honolulu, and the 3g service is awesome. The calls are as crystal clear as a fiber land line, even when I 3-way conf. call. The 3g phones external speaker is also much better. AND, the battery life is MUCH better if you turn 3g off. 3g is a power hog, but it's worth it in my mind.

Talk to ATT, they will probably cut you a break on your bill if you aren't happy.

Use Edge on your new iPhone until the 3g network in your town is improved. ATT saw about 500% increased usage of the 3g network with the new iPhone.

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

3G is relatively weak here in Seattle and quite spotty. On a normal commute from one point to another, I would experience drop calls quite often. Also I live in downtown and I have officially switch out my 3G when I am at home so I can actually make phone calls.

22. Malakai macrumors newbie

I live in Plymouth and work in Ann Arbor and have no problems with signal or call dropage. I have been very pleased with the service.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

24. ikare macrumors member

I agree with you, I live in Canton and work in Troy, no issues with signal or dropped calls...

25. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

I'd have to agree AT&T sucks in Chicago, but is great in most other places. The service in Minneapolis is consitently 5 bars downtown, uptown, and in the suburbs.You literally cannot escape 3G unless you crawl into an underground bunker. Voice quality is insanely good and I find 3G is wayyy faster than most of the local wifi hotspots.

I took a vacation to Chicago in January (with the edge iPhone) and I could barely get service anywhere downtown. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The contrast between Minneapolis and Chicago was huge. For such a big city, I can't understand why AT&T sucks so bad. Why aren't they getting this fixed? I feel for all you guys living in the Illinois mero area.