Why Torx screws!? (UPDATE: Not Torx Screws!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shorties, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

UPDATE:
    So I just got my iPhone and it turns out that it does have the standard phillips head screws rather than a Torx derivative. I wonder why the production photos showed torx screws, maybe european iPhones have the Torx screws, either way I am much happier if I ever have to replace the battery myself.

Original Post:

Does anyone else have a feeling of hatred toward torx screws, I hate them, I feel like they are ugly, and they remind me of all the things I was never able to open, and all the screwdrivers/screws that I stripped. I always liked that the iPhone used phillips head screws even though I had no intention of opening one. Maybe this is just me though.

[​IMG]

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

No I immediately noticed this also. Torx screw's make me think of all things cheap.

Kids meal toys use them.

No biggie though, I have a set of those screw drivers.

And technically We shouldn't be getting inside of our iPhones.

3. DanClark macrumors newbie

Torx screws are far, far superior to Phillips head screws. Phillips head screws will cam out. Torx screws are much less likely to.

Torx screws are pretty much a standard in Europe, especially in automated factories. A big reason is the ability to install them without messing up the screw.

Dan.

4. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've stripped torx screws before though, using the wrong kind of screwdriver and turned them into unturnable circles. but thats my fault. The nice thing about phillips is you can use a flathead on a phillips screw without any issues.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I really prefer torx screws, they are a much better design in my opinion and much easier to open. This is purely from a functional point of view, but I don't think that it detracts from the aesthetics.

If you used the wrong size screwdriver you really can't complain if you stripped it...

6. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know, I guess I should just give in and get a full screwdriver set from OSH or something, I probably wouldn't mind them if they didn't remind me of a technical barrier.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I hope you don't plan on opening the iPhone.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, you should get a screwdriver set. And being completely honest I'd say that phillips screws are more of a technical barrier than torx ;)

9. StvPtrsn macrumors newbie

It might be just the lighting and/or angle but those look like a 5 point fastener. Torx are 6 point.

Steve

Edit: better lighting picture:

[​IMG]

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, really.

Lol:rolleyes:

11. Chimera-se macrumors member

Mmmm....many high end products use torx scows. Pocket knives for instance use torx screws quite a bit. If you need a screwdriver to open the thing, look for a set with small number designations...T6 for example. The new iPhone looks well built for sure. I'll hold out judgement as to whether it reminds me of a leica camera, as Steve Jobs said...but that's another topic, I guess.:)

12. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

Not that I plan on opening the iPhone, but just seeing a Torx screw brings back memories... bad memories. Like when a screw actually turned the head of my screwdriver into powder and DIY ColorWare BlackBerries.

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What was the screwdriver made of? :eek:

14. Chimera-se macrumors member

15. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Both my Böker Gemini police model and Winchester knives have torx screws. All my others are smaller pocket knives (or a cheap folder) and have machined pins.
    Actually, just checked the Böker, it looks like they might be hex keys.
    (Or is a hex key they same as torx? My Boker had screws with 6 flat sides)

Speaking of high end products, Porsche cars come with torx screws for the license plates. Cayennes don't, dealerships have to supply their own. Although, the front plate mounting kit for Cayennes probably uses torx screws, I don't remember.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, you're thinking of those cheap brads they use that are not removable.

17. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

It was your standard metal Torx screwdriver, magnetic tip and everything. As far I'm aware, Blackberry doesn't put like diamond screws in their phones, so I have no idea why it did that. It was like a small icepick with metallic powder everywhere.

18. Chimera-se macrumors member

Well, I was using the term "pocket knives" because this is less threatening, lest our beloved Mac community gets freaked out about knives! You're right though, my spyderco's have machined pins...benchmade's torx. And although similar, a torx isn't quite the same as a hex...where as a torx is like a star and hex is like a, well I don't know, a six sided shape? Lol. Your Böker must be hex. It's so hard to see cause they are freakin tiny! I love Böker's designs, btw:D

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

That's a TX head, not torx. Almost the same, except it has five points and drivers are harder to find (but not impossible).

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

+1, torx would have made it too easy... :rolleyes:

21. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

They probably made it a hard to unscrew screw for a reason...

22. Chimera-se macrumors member

Wow, you're right. They really don't want you to open this thing!

23. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha remember when people thought the seams were there to allow for a removable battery...

24. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Torx screws are usually a higher quality part. I used to collect very high end, hand made knives, they can cost thousands each, not cheap and the workmanship was incredible, and most collectors preferred torx over Phillips if given a choice and the makers generally considered torx an upgrade from Phillips. And as others mentioned, they're superior in function as well.

They do seem to fit in well with the new design, sleek, robust and industrial.

25. Chimera-se macrumors member

Talking about the seams and the chassis of the device was the biggest surprise of the announcement to me. Do you think it will mean less dropped calls? Haha!