Why use PayPal ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. Some online stores asked me to pay via PayPal rather than Visa card. Could anybody please let me know why they prefer PayPal? What are the advantages of paying by PayPal rather than by Visa card? I heard that most of the time PayPal is fine but there are horrible stories...People have been paying by visa cards for years. I don't see any reason why we have to set up a PayPal account, link bank or visa card information to it and then pay. It is like creating an extra step and give PayPal bank information. Why not just pay by visa card directly? Thanks.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They don't see the fee, you do??

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

This 'extra step' is actually used by millions of people. I use it and it's saved me more than once from people who don't deliver an item after I've paid them, for example. It's a secure way of paying, the recipient doesn't even get to see your VISA card number.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you trust PayPal (like lots of people including myself do) then you can happily give them your details to avoid having to give them to lots of different online vendors.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's handy when making payments to other individuals.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Just a question- have you all set up PayPal to send money directly from a connected account (rather than your Visa)? I do this and was wondering if there are pros/cons

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I do this, for gifts, and I initiate the transaction from my bank's on-line service.

I can see no cons, except the fee. ;)

8. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Yep. Use it all the time. Great for paying for online shopping and resolving debts with friends.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

So, eBay is just doing online shoppers a favor by being the middle person for free? (It seems that shoppers do not get charged but the stores have to pay a fee when somebody buy things from them using PayPal?) I was checking the internet. I read that most of the time is ok. However, I heard stories that some people linked their bank accounts to PayPal accounts. Then, when PayPal suspected that somebody might be abusing, they freezed the accounts so the account owners could not use the money in their own accounts? As a result, some people suggested linking credit card accounts rather than bank accounts. (This approach also serves as an extra protection from the credit card company.) Not sure if there is a con doing that. I also read that even somebody used PayPal, he did not get the items from the store. As a result, he lost money. There are a few postings that in case of disputes, PayPal's decisions are final. It seems that one has to pay a termination of PayPal account fee. Why?

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This is one reason. I feel uneasy having my credit card information spread out on so many websites. With PayPal it gives you a layer of protection.

It's also incredibly easy. You don't have to type in your billing information, just login to PP and you're done.

Been using it since 2000 and never had any issues.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Ebay owns PayPal ... I have a separate bank account linked to PayPal and it works great for buying online ... no complaints for me

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I heard that this is a good strategy. Create a separate account with minimum amount of money.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

That's how I do it ... I only keep @ a hundred dollars in it

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And boy, don't think that they don't appreciate that.

Think of the millions, earning interest for them, while you get zilch.

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

This is a good point and one that I follow. I would much rather have a trusted service, like PayPal, handle the transaction.

Also, it is fast and reliable.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... the hundred dollars is the bank account balance (my account) I have attached to PayPal.

17. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I want to meet the investing banker turning his hundred into millions... They may not make anything (or much) of his individual account, since it does cost money to maintain that account.

18. skier777 macrumors 6502

Most banks that offer Visa cards offer extremely good buyer protection. I have Capital One and they make disputing charges extremely easy. I know chase and others have the same level of service.

19. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

PayPal is really unsafe. MoneyBookers is much safer. Just sayin'.

20. skier777 macrumors 6502

On the other hand, I use paypal for any sketchy site, since they cant hold onto my CC info. Wish it had been available to pay on the Playstation Network...

21. StvenH90 macrumors regular

This is true. Mastercard and American Express both also offer extended warranty at no extra charge (I am not sure about Visa (sure they do) or Discovery).

22. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

The only thing I don't like about PayPal is that it takes them so damn long for them to issue a refund from the seller. PayPal had to pull money from the seller's bank account, even tough he had enough on his credit card.

They love to take your money so fast, but getting it back isn't so quick lol.

23. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

About the extra layer of protection... So, the merchants do not get to see anything on the credit card. They don't even know the name of the person who is buying the products as PayPal serves as the middle person. We only need to provide the merchants the shipping address, email address and the name of the person who is going to receive the products? Am I right? Could anybody please confirm?

24. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Why visa is not acceptable?

I asked two online stores if I could pay via visa. They told me that they only accept PayPal. Anybody knows the reason? I cannot understand it as visa cards have been used worldwide by many people for years.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So has PayPal. :p