iPad mini Why wasn't the color gamut difference noted between the iPad 4 and the original mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MusicEnthusiast, Nov 20, 2013.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Maybe it was, but I feel that the color gamut comparison is completely blown out of proportion now that both the Air and the rMini have the Retina display. What do you guys think? Personally, I love the rMini and would consider buying one even though I own an iPad 4. Thoughts?

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I think the colour on the Mini Original is fine for me. I don't know how the rMini compares to that though. I can certainly see the difference between the Air and Mini Original in store, but the Mini screen is still good.

From what these forums were saying I'd expect to experience a life of colour blindness with the rMini. If the rMini is as good as the Mini Original in terms of colour and brightness I'd be fine with that.

3. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It was. I remember reading a lot of reviews saying the display looked washed out in comparison. It maybe wasn't mentioned AS much because the glaring problem was how low-res and grainy the panel looked.

4. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

It was fine for me, ever since launch a year ago. But now I can't sleep.

;)

5. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Just go test them with what you'll be using them for in store. I did this with the Air and Original Mini yesterday. I played a skydiving video (which is what I'll be mainly using it for) and the sky was a deep blue, clouds white and canopy colours bright. The Air is noticeably better, but that does make the Mini worse than it was.
    If you want the Air, then the price difference is barely anything so you should go for it.

6. Jeans89 macrumors regular

Last year it was clear that iPad4 was superior to iPad mini. This year everyone have thought that iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina are more or less the same, except the screen size. Also Apple has been marketing that way.

7. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

^This

Everyone accepted the color difference because they weren't comparing "apples to apples" (pun intended). But now that almost everything between the full size and the mini are supposed to be identical (including the fact they both have "Retina" now), everyone expected them to look the same.

I think it boils down to, if the small sized iPhone 5/5S uses the higher gamut, and the big sized iPad 4/Air uses the higher gamut, and they are all Retina, why doesn't the medium sized iPad Mini with Retina use the same? That's my question about the difference.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Different manufacture. Apple is trying to switch away from a certain shady company.

9. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The original Mini and Retina Mini are supposed to display the same color gamut.

And, yes, this has been blown out of proportion. I guess it's the only flaw people can find in the Mini and some people have to complain all the time... so this is it. In reality, all devices entail tradeoffs. Even the retina mini has a few.

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but don't the Air and rMini use the same display manufacturers, since they were pretty much produced simultaneously? (I honestly don't know, I'm asking) If so, why the difference if from the same manufacturer?

----------

To be fair, you don't know know that. The iPhone 4/4S displayed the lower color gamut, but the iPhone 5/5S display the higher color gamut. Why would we expect that the next generation of the mini with the upgraded screen should display the same gamut.

FYI - I'm not complaining about it (I have an rMini and think it's fine), but just playing devil's advocate here...

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i think most people didn't notice since there was such a drastic difference to begin with (non-retina and smaller screen). Now that they're both retina, its far easier to compare, plus iOS7 makes its glaringly obvious with its icons. TBH if they both were on ios6 i doubt it would be as noticeable even to MR experts.

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It was mentioned at the time. It was not talked about as much, because compared to its big brother, you were already sarficing due to the NON retina display.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And half the RAM. And a 2 year old processor. And somehow the Mini managed to outsell the iPad 4. I guess MacRumors is not a great barometer for what the market really wants. I'm shocked. :p

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Should show you how important pricing is. People are willing to forego features for a smaller price.

But those of us who talked about the 5c costing too much are idiots, right?

15. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

or maybe some features like vivid colors & 110% gamut are not as important as portability for some people like me. it's not that much difference in price for an Air & rMini

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I was referring to the $329 mini, compared to the $499 main ipad of the day.

Plus, $100 is more than "not much" to a lot of people. Plus, many have to save up for quite a while to afford the most basic models of macs and iPads.