Why wasn't this in Job's speech?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimothyB, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I mean, how many people did he trick. I new it was an amazing price, but I figured it was a deal with AT&T they worked out. Only now, 20 something days later, after all the publicity they got over that new low price, we finally get confirmation that twice the speed and half the price is not so true.

And worse, now they are forcing people to get the data plan! Which is more expensive. That will pretty much kill the deal even for people that are eligible to get the $199 price. As I bet many only wanted to do Wifi, especially if only in an Edge area. Or you get it, but find out a few months later you hardly use the data plan, but you are stuck with it.

So much for it being affordable for everyone. It's less affordable than ever with a minimum $70 per month 2 year contract.

Before it was a near wash for those wanting data, the extra $10 a month and the new low price. But now many of us ineligible will be paying full price like before, but this round an extra $240 over 2 years thanks to the $10 increase, or again, even more if you never wanted a data plan.

Seems like a horrible thing to force on everyone when the device has wifi and so many hotspots around. What's the next step, forced text plans?

EDIT: Just to clarify one thing. I'm no upset about the 3G data price, it's the same as any smart phone. But no other smart phone forces you to choose a data plan. This is a real problem for those not even in a 3G area and planned to live with only wifi, but now ATT will force them to pay $30 more a month for something nearly useless. Kind of an odd indecision with as much as people are cutting back due to gas and food prices.

Also, no way could Steve of had all that info, but they make the iPhone, and they claimed that as the price, and not one hint of it having to do with qualification with your carrier.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can also buy without a plan.

Price not from Apple.

3. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about the $599-$799 no contract pricing? Is that a premium for the phone? Like, is the $399-$499 the true price for the phone, but to get it with no contract, you have to pay a premium? Seems like something they threw in so time's not wasted on those that buy the $399 with 2 year and cancels the contract for $175 fee and other costs.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So, what? You thought AT&T was just gonna buy you one as a gift and not find a way to get that money back?

No offense, but Steve didn't need to say that because it should have been pretty obvious. If AT&T is giving you something (which you correctly guessed at the time) then they're clearly going to find a way to get that money back.

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol @ people crying like a little baby because they have to pay the same data plan price as any other smart phone.

boo hoo, dont buy one if you're gonna whine like a brat.

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

They are trying to stop people from selling them and using them on other networks. ATT probably lost a lot of money this way. I am sure many people even walked into an ATT store, bought a phone with no intention of using it on their network, unlocked it and sold it on eBay. Steve Jobs did make mention of iPhone's being found all over the world, including countries they are not sold in stores. It makes sense, and once you are eligible, it will be twice the speed and half the price for you.

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

While he didn't have to spell out what was going on, Steve was telling an obvious half-truth when he kept pushing the point that the iPhone is now half the price. Yes he was being truthful in that the iPhone itself is half the price... but the overall cost of owning it is in fact more in the long run. The Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field is strong, but it wouldn't have even been able to hold up had he flat out said that in the keynote. In order to keep the keynote magical, he had to make everyone believe he's doing something great for everyone. Just like how he had to spin the flush headphone jack as such a great improvement because they're graciously going to allow you to use any headphones you want. It was a design flaw from the start, but he can't admit that.

8. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

The data plan is fine, yes it's more, but as you said, it's on par with the other smart phones, basically the same.

But in this case, you are forced to choose a data plan with your two year contract. What other smart phone does that? Not everyone wants a data plan, so being forced to pay $30 over 2 years is and extra $720 they never planned to spend. So the whole line about it being affordable to everyone, even at the $199 price, it's bull.

9. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

thank you

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aaaand you can also cancel it.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

no point in buying a iphone if you're not gonna get the data plan imo.

mine as well get a cheapo phone and a touch.

12. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Apple makes the hardware, AT&T does the rest.

And he (nor AT&T) didn't trick anyone considering that there was a press release on the 9th saying exactly what today's press released confirmed.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Not that I'm siding with AT&T here, but did you not see the thing about how many countries the iPhone is going to be in? Jobs works for Apple, not the providers. I think O2 is offereing some great deals in the UK, while Rogers is getting flamed by Canadians (what's all that aboot????). Complain to AT&T, not Apple.

By the way, get yer punctuation right. It's Jobs', not Job's.

14. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldn't be entirely bent over the whole thing if it wasn't for the forced Data now. I mean it's no different than before, $399-$499 and 2 year contract, just you have to sign up in store, so why couldn't that be it. But now on top of that, they are now forcing everyone to commit to an extra $720 for data over 2 years. Considering that extra cash flow, maybe they could have given everyone the $200 discount.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I assume that you didn't read my last post here.

16. elbirth macrumors 65816

I actually agree with this. While yes you can use WiFi when it's available to do the data stuff, part of the whole reason I'm choosing to get an iPhone and ditch my cellphone / iPod touch combo is the fact that the iPhone will be both devices in one and I can use the Internet functionality wherever I'm at. Crippling the iPhone (or any smartphone for that matter) by not having the data plan with it defeats a huge part of having the device.

Actually he did "trick" people, considering he never mentioned service plan pricing at all, which led all of the hopeful people to believe that the plan would stay the same. Just because a press release came out shortly thereafter to tell us more details doesn't mean facts weren't purposely withheld from the keynote in order to not put a damper on it.

17. Garemz macrumors regular

18. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I've heard plenty of times users say they use wifi 90% of the time and don't need data plans. Why suddenly carry two things in your pocket instead of one iPhone.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...whos forcing you to buy anything? u bitch and moan for nothing, if the iphone is what you want then accept the terms and pay for it. If you cant do that then move on, its simple

20. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

if you don't like the new pricing just get a cheaper phone and buy an iPod touch? don't buy the iPhone 3G?

the iPhone 3G is using the 3G network therefore raising the prices up a bit per month.

I don't understand why so many people are angry at the fact that technology changes and if you buy at the wrong time it's their fault!

I had my iPhone stolen in February and I didn't get another iPhone I decided to wait it out for the iPhone 3G.

AT&T and Apple don't have a gun to your head demanding that you buy an iPhone 3G--you don't have to if you don't like the plans/pricing

21. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EDIT: I hope no one is thinking I'm blaming Steve for what AT&T is doing. I mean, he can't keep track of all plans for the world wide launch. But it wasn't 100% clear about it being a subsidized price. They are the ones that make the iPhone, so when they say what the price is themselves with no clear note on qualification with a carrier, that's what you expect it to be sold for.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or unlock it and use your GSM carrier of choice, which is more fun. Either way, if you don't like it, don't buy it, and don't clog up our forum complaining about it.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

+1 man:apple:

24. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I am as mad as Steve as a lot of people for lying right to our faces, but why WOULD he put this in there. All he cares about is making cool gadgets so he and his company can make money.

25. Garemz macrumors regular

The 1st Gen Iphone used an edge Network if you are into standing around for 10 min while your webpage loads up go right ahead, but that is why most people used WIFI.

Apples fix for this was a 3G network to speed things up, now with that speed came a price boost. I don't know about you but, here in Canada the only place to find Wifi is in your house.

The 3G network will give you high speed internet anywhere but there is a price with that.

In todays world Gas prices are rising cost of living is rising we just don't need anymore price Gouging for things we like. If we can save $50 here and there that would defiantly be a bonus.