Why wont it work

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Myhst, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Myhst macrumors newbie

I just bout a refurbished Ipod from one of my friends..It worked perfectly for them and when I connect it to my laptop it says windows does not recognize it and something about the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned...Can anyone help me...I want to be able to put music on my ipod.

- I don't have the disk that came with the ipod (If needed)
    - I do have iTunes installed
    - I have Windows XP Pro

Can anyone please help me...any help would be nice...

P.S. I'm kinda green at computers so if u tell me directions please give step by step...thnx!

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

What kind of iPod is it? That might help someone to answer your question.

3. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

oops..

Forgot to post that

- It's a 1 GB ipod nano...Not the new generation

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

sound like your iPod is formatted to the "Mac" Version. When the iPod is plugged into your computer, open iTunes and and there should be an option to reformat the iPod. See if that solves the problem.

5. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

That could very well be true but...like i said i'm a little green...I looked for someting in iTunes to reformat and I can't find anything to do so...where is it to reformat!

(I know I know I sound really stupid right now)...

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

7. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there no one who will help me?

I just want to make my iPod work...please someone out there help me.
    Every time I conect my iPod my computer say's USB Device Not Rcognized.
    Pleaase can someone help me.......I mean really 35 people have viewed my thread already and only 2 posted...that's really nice of everyone...Im just asking for help nothing more!!

8. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks iSaint...I'll try that...I hope it works...

9. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

omg that didn't work either..it appears that the computer isnt even registering my iPod. So there for iTunes cant even find an iPod (in computer reality) that isn't even really there. does anyone have anyieas what could be wrong...please someone post someform of help towards this

10. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

I just recently discovered that my iPod isn't even being charged...its connected to the laptop but its not even charging...I dont know if that helps to anyone but thats' the latest news on my topic

11. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna post exactly what the USB root hub device manager say's when I heck what's wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the USB Devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that helps in some way....

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

What kind of computer do you have? Do you have more than one USB hub you can try?

Also, did you see the iPod work on your friend's computer? Call him or her and verify that the iPod worked on his or her computer.

13. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a gateway laptop, 4 USB hubs...None of which will accept my iPod...and yes I saw my friend use and connect the iPod on their computer..they have a mac though..I tried to reformat my iPod through iTunes but iTunes doesn't show that ay iPod is connected..I tried updating my iPod and again the updater can't find any iPod connected.

14. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Go back to the guy you bought it from and:

a) ask him to reformat it for you.

or if that doesn't work....

b) punch him in the face for selling you a broken iPod.

Side note- If your USB port is a 'low power' port, it won't charge your iPod.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

OK then. Very simple. He needs to reformat it for you. Plain and simple.

16. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

lol omg he's in B.C. and i'm in Ontario he came for his once a year visit!

Is there any other way to possibly get it to work...the ipod still works it just won't connect properly...it turns on\off...goes into disk mode...plays files properly...it just won't connect...please tell me theres another way!!

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

All you really need is ANY Mac with the latest iTunes to reformat it from Mac to Windows. (It's probably HFS now, you need Fat 32) If you live near an Apple store, go in and somebody will probably help you do it.

Edit... I vaguely remember reformatting a Mac iPod to Windows ON a Windows machine. I could be wrong, but that would mean there is something else wrong.

Maybe someone else has some insight.

18. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I don't know if I live near an Apple store...none of my friends that live close to owns a mac...is there no online service that can be able to format it or maybe install a drive that works with my ipod?

19. tveric macrumors 6502

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

How far did you go on the link iSaint posted a few post ago?

I've never seen that page before, but that's exactly how I'd go about troubleshooting this.

#1 -- Reset the iPod by holding the keys down that they mention, then try connecting it again.

#2 -- If that doesn't work, try plugging it into a different USB port on your computer. I wouldn't try using an external USB hub until after you've seen it work directly attached to a USB port on your computer.

Once your computer sees it, you should be able to have iTunes 'Restore' it back to a Windows file system. But until your computer sees it, you're SOL. The fact that it's not Windows formatted shouldn't cause the USB error that you're getting.

21. Myhst thread starter macrumors newbie

kk to answer two at once...I don't mean to whine...but i'm just a little frusterated that nothing seems to work...

and

for the link iSaint gave me..I went completely through the 5 R's that is prescribed...none of them worked!!

22. tveric macrumors 6502

That's complete BS. It's true, there might be another reason that he's seeing that message - but that's EXACTLY the message you see if you plug your Mac-formatted ipod into a Windows XP machine.

Check the link I posted a couple messages up, let us know if any of those programs work. If they don't, your next step is to find someone with a Mac and have them restore the ipod to factory settings.

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Umm, for what it's worth, my 80GB iPod is Mac formatted (from my home machine) and I plug it into my Dell D620 work laptop (XP SP2) every day to keep it charged while I listen to it and I never get that error.

Edit:

Since I don't have my work laptop here, I just plugged my Mac formatted iPod into my roommates Dell laptop. Guess what popped up?

As long as he can get his computer to recognize the iPod, he can restore it back to Windows format. It doesn't require a Mac to do that.

Attached Files:

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Right click on My Computer, then go into Manage and Disk Management. Try to format it from there. Then use iTunes to reinitialize it. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.

25. sprant macrumors newbie

I sympathize

I sympathize with you, Mhyst.
    I have a 60G video iPod that I can't add content to, because Windows XP ceased to recognize the device, for no apparent reason.
    I tried it on my other XP computer, and same deal, so, I think it is a software problem within the iPod.
    Further, the iPod doesn't know when it is connected either- it doesn't respond when connected to the computer (that Do Not Disconnect screen).
    It's an impossible problem, because Windows doesn't recognize the iPod, so neither does iTunes, thus, Apple's suggestion to "Restore" the iPod is a catch 22. Looks like my only recourse is to send the pod to Apple for repair.
    I add my WHINE to this thread. If anyone has figured out the fix, please post it, or email me.