Why would anybody buy a MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KPOM, Jul 18, 2019.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Portability? Lower profile? Like the air design a bit more? There are quite a few reasons why MacBook Air is preferred, even though MacBook Pro might have a better price value ratio.

3. torana355 macrumors 68040

I just purchased a 2018 Air and I would have to agree with you the base MBP is the sweet spot for most people unless you need the extra power of the higher spec models. Unfortunately I purchased my Air 2 weeks before the new base pro was released however I hate the touch bar so it's not so bad.

4. jgorman macrumors newbie

For video playback of some formats, modern Intel processors handle the decoding in hardware. So, there is very little CPU load. The screen is the major battery drain when the video plays.

When they test battery life during productivity work or web browsing, I suspect the MacBook Air with its 7W CPU will have more battery life than a MacBook Pro with a 15W CPU.

5. Clockworkz macrumors member

Clockworkz

I didn't need a laptop to do heavy lifting, I bought my 18 Air for screwing around with and for light school work and when work is boring and I have a few hours to kill. For heavy lifting I have my PC which is an order of magnitude faster/powerful.

6. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

Not everyone needs to have the processing power of the PRO or desire the heavier laptop. I have both the PRO and AIR and prefer using my AIR when traveling as it easily handles anything I throw at it regarding tasking. What I enjoy most is how light the AIR is and also the extended battery life. Since I am using NVMe M.2 storage the Air is even faster, in fact it is faster than my PRO with read speeds close to 1500 MB/s and write speeds of 1400MB/s. I don't consider this bad performance for a 2015 AIR.

7. Peter_M macrumors regular

Well put. It would make more sense killing off the Air line, and keep the 12' MacBook model instead. Having said that, the keyboard on all Apple laptops really need to improve. The Huawei MateBook keyboard is a perfect compromise IMO, since it's still allows for a thin laptop, but has more travel and tactile response. If that means the MacBook has to be a bit thicker, so be it. The MacBook was such a light and portable laptop, except for the awful keyboard.

To be honest, I'm on my last Apple laptop now, I'm tired of the crappy keyboards Apple uses. Unless Apple get their act together, my next laptop will be a Huawai MateBook, which has much thinner bezels/larger screen and superior keyboard.

8. Gary Z macrumors newbie

"Order of magnitude" faster would be 10x faster. Is it really?

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

If we’re talking about graphics horsepower, that’s not too difficult to believe.

10. Zen_Arcade macrumors regular

Just looking at refurbished Airs/Pros through the military/veteran store.

A 2018 Air with 16/512 is $1223; the 2018 16/512 2.3 GHz Pro is $1646. So there is a significant (33% or 25% difference depending on which one you start with) price differential. And if someone's budget is ~$1k, stretching a couple of hundred dollars is MUCH easier than stretching another $646. Granted, the Pro brings more to the table - better graphics, quad-core vs dual-core, etc., but that doesn't matter if you can't stretch to it.

11. playtech1 macrumors member

Because the form factor is so similar to the Pro, the Air only makes sense if it drops further in price. I really think the base model Air needs to be at a $999 / £999 entry point into the Mac ecosystem (as its predecessor was), with the storage at 256GB. At that point it becomes tempting.

I wish that Apple had moved an upgraded 12 inch MacBook into the Air role. It could have been a cheap and highly portable entry into the Mac ecosystem and offered something very different to the 13 inch pro. Because the Air's size and weight is basically the same as the MBP, it is now just a 'lite' version of it and does not have its own clear niche.

12. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

For me the Air’s wedge shape is a huge plus over the Pro. It’s just more comfortable to use. I believe the trackpad is slightly smaller too, perhaps right-sized in comparison to the Pro’s rather large one that can more easily register unintended palm contact.

All that said, I’m still rocking a 2016 nTB MBP until 10th gen chips make it to the Air.

13. tim0409 macrumors regular

I've owned a series of 12" MacBooks and decided to go for a 2017 MBP but it just felt big/heavy in comparison (obviously!) so I kept hold of my 12"; I recently bought a 2018 MBA and it just feels much nicer to use than the MBP in terms of design/weight, and more akin to my old 12". I appreciate that the argument for a MBA is more difficult now the MBP has been updated, but as I don't need the extra CPU power I'm happy with the form factor of the MBA.

14. jeyf macrumors 65816

the 2017 MBP has no place in a premium market

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

16. Erehy Dobon, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

One thing for sure, the keyboard on the Air 2019 is FAR more comfortable to use than the one on the discontinued MacBook 2017.

While it’s not a major use on my notebook, video encoding is far quicker on the new Air 2019, about twice as fast as the MacBook when encoding H.265 (HEVC) using VideoToolbox.

Also the larger screen on the Air 2019 is easier on my tired aging eyes.

The extra Thunderbolt port is convenient too.

17. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

But the latter apparently isn't the case.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

19. ATC macrumors 65816

I have a 2018 13MBP and just got my wife a 2019 MBA. In all honesty I enjoy using my wife's new MBA more than my MPB. It's just nicer to handle, e.g. on the couch. And so far I haven't noticed any difference in overall speed or screen quality/brightness between the two machines, at least for the kind of work we do on ours. I think people sometimes chase specs more than the, often intangible, user experience IMHO.

20. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Microcenter has 2018 airs for $800

21. latweek macrumors regular

latweek

Said nobody ever.

22. Clockworkz macrumors member

Clockworkz

I have no idea how much faster it is but when you're comparing a MBA to a built PC it's definitely not equal. And also you should learn when people are speaking hyperbolically lol

23. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

I like the new keyboard better. There. You’ve met one person that said it!

24. torana355 macrumors 68040

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Damn. I work 12 hour shifts and am generally on my Air for half of that and it usually only goes down to about 40% ish