Why would anybody purchase a 5GB iPad plan on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by noah82, Mar 13, 2012.

1. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

So let me get this straight...AT&T offers a 3GB plan for $30 and a 5GB plan for $50, both with no tethering, so no advantage there by purchasing the 5GB.

Both plans charge $10 per GB over your allotted plan, so why wouldn't everybody opt for the 3GB plan, and if they go over by 2GB, it would cost the same thing ($50) as paying for it in the first place!! This way you are not obligated to pay for more data than you are using (more or less).

Am I missing something here??

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Good question!

[​IMG]

On the iPhone, 5GB gets you tethering, 3GB doesn't. I think we haven't seen the final tethering plans for AT&T iPads...

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

No idea really. No activation/deactivation fee either. Same overage cost as well ($10 per GB over).

I suppose if you knew for sure you were going consistently over 5 GB in data, it couldn't hurt you.

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I don't know how it works in the "individual" world, but on my corporate premier account, any iPad user at 3GB will get "suspended" at 3GB, and then I have to call in and lift the suspension and approve the first 1GB overage, and again at the next GB.

Not sure if personal plans are like this, but I wouldn't put it past them. Still, if you rarely use more than 3GB, the hassle is worth it to me.

5. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

If they offered tethering on the 5GB plan like they do on the phone side, it would be a no brainer.

I have a feeling like that's what they are going to do, it is just going to take 6 months or so for them to get their heads out of their asses and do it.

6. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Verizon offers tethering on all the plans. Also, you could just tether off your phone. That's what I'm going to do. $25/mo for 2GB of data across all my devices.

7. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

True, but we are not talking about Verizon here, this thread is about AT&T.

8. daitalianjob macrumors regular

I literally just changed my iPhone 4 unlimited data plan ($30 a month) to the 5GB data pro plan ($50 a month) with tethering to use with my new WiFi only 64GB iPad 3rd generation. It's cheaper than if I bought the 4G iPad and a data plan. It will be more than enough data for both devices for me and I save some $ while still getting internet data access on my iPad when I'm away from a WiFi hotspot :)

9. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

I am sure that ATT is counting on tons of users like you to do the same thing and ditch their unlimited plan to get the tethering.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I can't seem to pull the trigger to get rid of it.

10. daitalianjob macrumors regular

Yeah I did the calculations and tracked my data usage from previous months and I don't even go over 1GB on my phone because I always have wifi enabled at it connects when I'm home, which is where I use it the most. I ordered the new iPad WiFi only to save $ and I feel this was a pretty good deal to switch since I can't tether my unlimited data and AT&T is cracking down on "illegal" tethering. What do you think?

11. mark_wilkins macrumors member

AT&T's non-contract plans, from what I understand, don't include a $10/GB overage. They either cut you off or bill you for another month immediately (I'm not sure exactly.)

They do offer contract plans for the iPad that do allow those overages in 1GB increments.

12. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

If I had a 4G phone I would do the same.

13. daitalianjob macrumors regular

Yeah and I'll be getting the new iPhone later this year so I will be tethering 4G. Not bad :) I had reservations about the decision at first, but I thought it out and I think it's worth it.

14. KDR macrumors regular

Bingo! While it's not available yet, I'd much rather use the 4G iPad as the hotspot and reduce the iPhone data plan. I have a feeling my iPhone is going to see very little use now that I'll have a 4G iPad. I'm getting tired of squinting at the small screen and hitting the wrong letter on the keyboard. 90% of my use is at work or at home so the iPhone isnt going to get much use. Frankly, I'm not sure I even care about the iPhone 5 at this point.

I guess I need something for non-iMessage texts and phone calls, otherwise I would even consider getting rid of it.

15. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Because my work is paying for it :)

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You're unusual. Most of us use our phones out and about, and an iPad is highly secondary to that.

17. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'm in the same boat. I ordered a WiFi only iPad to save the 129 and any monthly fees associated with it. The first time I want to tether my iPad, I think I'll be ditching my unlimited plan. While it seems crazy to pay 50 bucks for data, that's across ANY devices I can connect to the hotspot i.e. iPad, laptop, Xbox 360 and so on.

I've fought myself long and hard to try to keep the unlimited data, but it just doesn't make sense. Even if I used 3 GBs on my iPhone, which would be rare, I'd still have 2 GBs for any other devices. Plus, I think I'd finally feel better knowing I don't need to death grip that unlimited plan anymore. That's enough in itself to get me to switch.

18. daitalianjob macrumors regular

Yeah I'm definitely happy I switched. I think in the long run, it's a better all-around deal

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've decided to switch to the iPad WIFI as well. I copped the iPad 2 WIFI + 3G and found that I rarely used 3G and when I did I had my phone with me so tethering wouldn't have been an issue.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I hear that. Two of my friends both bought 64 GB 3G iPad 2's and I'm pretty sure neither ever used the 3G. One I know for sure didn't. While it may be nice to have if you need it, spending the 129 as a "just in case" doesn't sound right to me.

Trust me, I was *this close* to buying a 16 GB LTE, but opted for 32 WiFi and I'm glad I did.

21. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The new one offers the ability to connect globally on DC-HSPA+. Many carriers, including Rogers and Telus in Canada, offer plans for the iPad with tethering that are much better than their normal pre-paid stuff, so much so that even if you visit Canada for a couple of days, it's more cost effective to grab a 5GB DC-HSPA+ SIM from Rogers for $35 than to rent an XCOM Global Mifi. Add in the hotspot capability, and you've changed the game on global roaming. Also, while the XCOM Global is a 7.2 device (I think), the iPad support 42mbps DC-HSPA+ in Canada, and in Europe and other parts of the world, it has the quad band HSPA to handle the 900mhz band. It's the best global device I've ever seen.

I am going to get the VeriPad, even though I probably won't ever use Verizon in the US. At least I have the option to buy $20/1GB of access if I find myself in an area with limited or no AT&T connectivity, so I can jump on Verizon 4G LTE.

22. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If I traveled more, I would have probably gotten the LTE. My problem is spending the money upfront with the chance I may never use it. I can understand though why some people do. Luckily I live in an area where AT&T's network is pretty darn good so I think I can tether without any issues.

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I kinda doubt that I'll ever use it domestically, since AT&T on my iPhone should be sufficient, but I really want to travel to Canada or abroad, and the iPad plans and iPad international support makes it more than worth the $130. The only thing that could make me get the AT&T one is if it's LTE is unlocked to work on Telus and Rogers as well, as the Verizon one can't. That would be a tough decision... The thing is, it doesn't seem like LTE is that big of a deal over DC-HSPA+ in Canada.

24. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

This is why I went Wifi only this time around. I found I never used 3G on iPad because I never used it to its potential, so I got rid of my "unlimited" (quotes intentional) iPhone plan because I never used more than 2GB in any month ever. Now I have 5GB with tethering between 2 devices for $20 more a month. I'm never without my iPhone, but I'm often without my iPad. 3G speeds are fine for me.

25. aneftp macrumors 601

Becareful switching to a tiered data plan on att if u have a fan discoint.

Right now $25/2GB and $30/unlimited smartphone gets fan discoint on data.

So.i get 24% duscount on my $30 unlimited data.
    The minute you switch to $30/3GB data plan u lose thay fan discoint.

Att will know only discount fan accounts starting at $50/5gb data pro with tetherong.

Verizon discounts are very similar.