Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
This is why I went Wifi only this time around. I found I never used 3G on iPad because I never used it to its potential, so I got rid of my "unlimited" (quotes intentional) iPhone plan because I never used more than 2GB in any month ever. Now I have 5GB with tethering between 2 devices for $20 more a month. I'm never without my iPhone, but I'm often without my iPad. 3G speeds are fine for me.

I'm the opposite. I'm on my iPad all day long and my iPhone sits in the charger waiting for me to pick it up when I go out (I'm retired). I have unlimited data on both my iPad and my iPhone with AT&T. I just bought a iPad 3 64GB with data. I had the unlimited plan with my other ipads and I'm gonna keep it with the new device.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
For the same reason I don't knock over a 7-Eleven when I'm short on cash...

Verizon and AT&T are elitist pigs. Look at the smaller companies that offer unlimited everything (data included) for $40-50/mo. Granted, the speed is generally limited to 3G right now, but that is what most people are capped at anyway.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Verizon and AT&T are elitist pigs. Look at the smaller companies that offer unlimited everything (data included) for $40-50/mo. Granted, the speed is generally limited to 3G right now, but that is what most people are capped at anyway.

And that makes it right to steal from them? Wow.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
It's not stealing when you pay for unlimited data. I should be able to use my data however. Paying for tethering is mentally retarded.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's not stealing when you pay for unlimited data. I should be able to use my data however. Paying for tethering is mentally retarded.

No, you are not paying for it if they are charging a fee and you bypass the system to use it without paying the fee.

Paying for tethering is called business. Stealing the bandwidth without paying for it is just plain wrong. It's quite a simple concept, really.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
No, you are not paying for it if they are charging a fee and you bypass the system to use it without paying the fee.

Paying for tethering is called business. Stealing the bandwidth without paying for it is just plain wrong. It's quite a simple concept, really.

who is stealing from whom? when my unlimited data one month I am using 1GB paying $30 the next month I am using 6GB and getting slow down (not a full service for my money)
maybe they should do tike on voice plain ROLL OVERING

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
who is stealing from whom? when my unlimited data one month I am using 1GB paying $30 the next month I am using 6GB and getting slow down (not a full service for my money)
maybe they should do tike on voice plain ROLL OVERING

Hey, I'm not here to defend AT&T. They goofed. They are backtracking now a bit but they still have a doofus policy. But they covered themselves with their terms, which have been consistent.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/03/provision-to-throttle-speeds-in-att-terms-of-service.html

So is this AT&T stealing or is this people not reading and understanding the terms of service?

Regardless, their unlimited plan clearly DOES NOT include tethering. NEVER HAS. So people assuming they can tether if they get an unlimited plan is THEIR problem, not AT&T's. AT&T never offered nor did they market tethering with their unlimited plans. This is evidenced by you trying to turn on tethering on an untampered iPhone with an unlimited plan. You can't.

So, if someone chooses to bypass those built in safeguards and help themselves to tethering without paying for it, that is stealing. Plain and simple. Even in the 21st century the concept of right and wrong is really not that complicated.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Hey, I'm not here to defend AT&T. They goofed. They are backtracking now a bit but they still have a doofus policy. But they covered themselves with their terms, which have been consistent.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/03/provision-to-throttle-speeds-in-att-terms-of-service.html

So is this AT&T stealing or is this people not reading and understanding the terms of service?

Regardless, their unlimited plan clearly DOES NOT include tethering. NEVER HAS. So people assuming they can tether if they get an unlimited plan is THEIR problem, not AT&T's. AT&T never offered nor did they market tethering with their unlimited plans. This is evidenced by you trying to turn on tethering on an untampered iPhone with an unlimited plan. You can't.

So, if someone chooses to bypass those built in safeguards and help themselves to tethering without paying for it, that is stealing. Plain and simple. Even in the 21st century the concept of right and wrong is really not that complicated.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

you miss the point
I NEVER THETER
I had my unlimited data for 7 years $64.95 a month Unlimited international BB
no one gave me discaunt for the month that I did not traveled,
no one limited me to 3 or 4GB it was just unlimited with my poor English at list I know what does it mean,
now AT&T canceled my international and it only unlimited in the US also they are limiting me for speed over 3GB
did AT&T read the contract they gave me 7 years ago?
and for the last point.
let say I buy the 3GB but used only one why I have to loos what I paid for?
Don't know what ouer senators doing about it?:mad:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
... let say I buy the 3GB but used only one why I have to loos what I paid for?

Because that is what is being sold. You can choose to buy it, or not. The 3GB is over one month period, and you either use it or lose it. There is no "rollover" of unused GBs. That would be nice, but that is not what AT&T is selling.

I hear what you are saying. When they market "unlimited" data, they have so many exceptions and terms that make the term "unlimited" quite meaningless. The should not have used that term. "Unlimited" has a certain meaning. They should have just offered 5GB or 10GB plans for $30 and call it a deal.

It's not fair, but that doesn't entitle other people (not you) to steal bandwidth by tethering without paying a tethering fee.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Because that is what is being sold. You can choose to buy it, or not. The 3GB is over one month period, and you either use it or lose it. There is no "rollover" of unused GBs. That would be nice, but that is not what AT&T is selling.

I hear what you are saying. When they market "unlimited" data, they have so many exceptions and terms that make the term "unlimited" quite meaningless. The should not have used that term. "Unlimited" has a certain meaning. They should have just offered 5GB or 10GB plans for $30 and call it a deal.

It's not fair, but that doesn't entitle other people (not you) to steal bandwidth by tethering without paying a tethering fee.

Tethering is not stealing unless you're on an unlimited plan.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Tethering is not stealing unless you're on an unlimited plan.

Really? How do you figure? Are you saying that using the service in violation of the terms is not stealing? Because the terms clealy state, and I quote:

"Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device..."

I mean, is this unclear in any way? Tether away! You just have to pay for it! Just because MyWi let's you tether without having a tethering plan doesn't mean it's right... :(

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So let me get this straight...AT&T offers a 3GB plan for $30 and a 5GB plan for $50, both with no tethering, so no advantage there by purchasing the 5GB.

Both plans charge $10 per GB over your allotted plan, so why wouldn't everybody opt for the 3GB plan, and if they go over by 2GB, it would cost the same thing ($50) as paying for it in the first place!! This way you are not obligated to pay for more data than you are using (more or less).

Am I missing something here??

Rich people have servants and underlings make decisions for them, and those types aren't well educated.

BJ

boxster99t

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I don't know how it works in the "individual" world, but on my corporate premier account, any iPad user at 3GB will get "suspended" at 3GB, and then I have to call in and lift the suspension and approve the first 1GB overage, and again at the next GB.

Not sure if personal plans are like this, but I wouldn't put it past them. Still, if you rarely use more than 3GB, the hassle is worth it to me.

I don't know about calling in for more, but on the personal plan--there is no overage charges on an iPad data plan. You hit the limit, you're done for the month unless you buy more (and you add data at the same size and price tiers). I wish you could buy the 3GB/$30 and use 4GB and pay $40, for example.

I was misled by certain articles too--it's pretty clear when you go in on the iPad to sign up or change a plan.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah I did the calculations and tracked my data usage from previous months and I don't even go over 1GB on my phone because I always have wifi enabled at it connects when I'm home, which is where I use it the most. I ordered the new iPad WiFi only to save $ and I feel this was a pretty good deal to switch since I can't tether my unlimited data and AT&T is cracking down on "illegal" tethering. What do you think?

I did the exact same thing.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I have the 5gig plan on my ATT phone. It's an incredible deal. I have a corporate FAN discount of 23% that only applies to the 5gig data plan (not to the 3gb $30 plan). This means that I am only paying $11.50 more per month for 5gigs and tethering.

It's great.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I have the tether plan on my iPhone for my Mac, it seems to do better when its a wired tether rather than a wireless tether. I bought a Wifi 64Gb but it kept losing the connection so I went back to Apple and got a At&t 4G version and got the 3GB data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.