Why would stores set the blackout date for the first two weeks of October? Here's Why

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stu00a, Oct 1, 2011.

1. stu00a macrumors member

Apple store denied employee's vacation on first two weeks of October.

and some other stores did too.

And all these inventory lists are coming up, I think we might see the new iphone earlier than we thought.

Tim Cook might say "It's available Today" or anything like that.

What do you think?

2. Nevadadrifter macrumors newbie

More likely so that employees can assist with a heavy preorder workload in the days leading up to the launch.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

More likely "shipping today", sold in the Apple store in 2-3 days. They did that with some Mac announcement. If they made it available the same day as the conference, there sure would be some leaks right before the conference and people would just have to rush to their local Apple store instead of the usual line of campers.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I do agree that Tim may say it's available the same day, because they like to get fanboys to pee themselves.

5. mholtz2323 macrumors member

It would be crazy if they said "Available October 5th." Isn't that when some of these stores which have been closed, reopen?
    But, then again, it doesn't allow for the hype to build between announcement and launch.
    Expect it on the 14th.

6. phillyred79 macrumors regular

It would be phenomenal if it was available on the 4th! But, I would think 3-10 days after the announcement is more likely. Demand will be high and Apple stores will be a mad house so.. Like every iLaunch the stores need all the help they can get. However, the fact that cases have shown up at AT&T stores is encouraging!

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple has over 330 stores worldwide and they are waiting for these 3 stores to re-open to launch the next iPhone?

8. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I think he may say it is available the same day if it is a iP 4S. If it is a 5, then expect a couple weeks for the hype to brew.

9. Nevadadrifter macrumors newbie

Apple likes to have long lines of people camped out in front of their stores before a release. Its the highest caliber of free media coverage available. CNN, MSNBC, all the way down to smaller local news stations will all run a story on the evening news, showing their viewers that the new iPhone has arrived. They'll pan down the line, showing the dozens of people all waiting to own the coolest new piece of tech, and of course they'll have to interview the guy standing in the front of the line, and find out how long he has been camping there.

There is not a commercial Apple could ever release that is as successful as the media blitz on launch day. It shows the world that the new iphone has arrived, it shows that it is the most in demand phone on the market, and it tells the viewer that everybody is literally lining up for a chance to get theirs. Best of all, not a single minute of this coverage costs Apple a single cent.

Would there still be a rush to the store if it was announced that it was available after the unveiling on Tuesday? Of course there would be. But without advance warning, the news media would already have reporters assigned to other stories, and the iPhone may not get the coverage Apple desires.

10. phillyred79 macrumors regular

Some would say it's "brewing" quite nicely right now if not close to a "rolling boil." ;)

11. saving107, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes the hype is at an all time high, on internet forums, but what about with the general consumer, do they know anything?

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

Back when the October 4th event was first rumored, the evening news here mentioned it, so at least some know :p

13. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

So are you going to be wearing diapers "aaplefan289"? :rolleyes:

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Available Today

That would be crazy but good, however it likely won't happen as during the week after announcement, shipments of the device will appear in stores.

Or else people would have leaked the iPhone 5 in ATT stores already.

15. ScoutDad macrumors member

Like others, I'm betting on the 14th for the iphone and the monday before (Oct. 10th) for iOS 5. :)

16. Pooshka macrumors 65816

There is no way iPhones will be available on the day of the announcement ever. Macs, iPods, yes. iPhones, no.

Just not gonna happen.

17. goblueguy macrumors newbie

I hope it's available asap. My blackberry storm is on it's absolute last legs. Barely makes it through a few hours of use without needing a recharge. I've been eligible for an upgrade since June but have managed to hold out so far but the storm is on an exponential decay path.

18. kmanmx macrumors 6502

No, there is just no point on Apples behalf. They gain nothing in sales, and loose lots on media coverage.

Who is going to go "Oh, it's out today, i'm going to get one then. But i wouldn't of got one if it was released on the 14th".

^No one^

On the other hand, Apple will benefit from all the Hands-on articles from places such as Engadget which will make there way through the web for a couple of weeks. Give people some chance to sell there iPhone 4's, get some cash together etc.

Plus it would be a logistical nightmare to get millions of IP5's to all the stores leak free..

19. Karr271 macrumors regular

October 14th is looking like a good day for release and it'll give time for apple to do pre-orders (if they are going to take them) get the media hype, give out some review units and allow for early reviews from the likes of Walt Mossberg, and allow people to get in line. Apple never gives in on the hype.

20. Millionin20s, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Millionin20s macrumors regular

Excellent post. If you think about it, Apple is one of the few companies that can get this kind of free publicity and amount of turnout to buy a product on a consistent basis, starting with the iPhone and extending to the iPad. The closest comparison I can think of in recent times is when Madden or a new Call of Duty game comes out yearly, and even then you don't see people camping to get these games. Only Apple launches, video game system launches, and Duke basketball tickets encourage people to camp out for a commodity.

Everyone at my job that's remotely interested in phones knows that a new iPhone is imminent. Even my non-tech friends who still love their Blackberries know and show interest.

21. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Same here. A friend of mine just texted me today talking about the rumor of the iPhone coming to Sprint. She's not techy at all but knows about the October 4th keynote.