iPad Why would you JB your IPAD?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by simple20, May 25, 2012.

1. simple20 macrumors regular

Hi,

Just wondering why? I love my JB Iphone. I'm going on an extended trip outside the states though and wont have my phone available (taking out the sim and using it essentially as a JB ipod with facetime, imessage, and skype) and was thinking about just preemptively JBing my iPad just in case I don't get the opportunity later. But wasn't sure if there was really a purpose. What are some JB apps that are essential to your iPad in your opinion? I'm not interested in any pirated or stolen programs or capabilities.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8

Nuff' said

3. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

SwipeSelection is another great reason. You can quickly move the cursor and select text using keyboard gestures. It's free and useful.

5. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I just got that one, and it works great! Although I noticed that typing words where the letters are close together, swipeselection thinks you're swiping and fails to type the whole word, like 'thing'. You just have to type those words slightly slower.

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

The things mentioned in this thread + this list.

Far better organization, a much smoother gesture based experience rather than tapping home all the time, access to the file system, etc...

Will cost you some money to get everything, but theres a lot of useful free stuff too.

7. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

JB is necessary to maximize the full potential of any iOS device. Apple has too firm a grip on what they feel should and shouldn't be installed.

Plus I like it that Apple disapproves of JB'ing and very likely pisses them off.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You don't have to hit the home button all the time. 4 finger swipe up does the same thing.

9. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I forgot about that because I found 4 finger swipes annoying enough that I gave up doing them completely. Have to change my grip on the iPad completely, easier to do the home button. 1 finger swipe from the bottom of the screen not so much.

10. lepeos macrumors member

What exactly is the reason you have your iPhone Jailbroken if you can't even fathom any idea as to why to Jailbreak your iPad?

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

12. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I would have jail broken before I left for my summer trip so I could have had a sd card full of movies to import and watch but sadly that's not an option for me now.

13. MRU Suspended

MRU

I did it for this and then had trouble getting adverts.ie to load properly so just uninstalled it.

I just restored my iPad 3 from bring JB, I just couldn't find a specific reason to keep it. Intelliscreen X is great but works better for me on my iPhone with weather etc, and i find SBSettings to be of little use to me on the iPad (not turning on off wifi or bluetooth regularly, so no need for it).

Also most of the themes and such aren't working that great with the iPad, and i did find myself having to reboot a few times whilst Jailbroken because the iPad just locked up. For me I'll pass on the JB. Will keep it on my iPhone 4S for Zephyr and IntelliscreenX however.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Been without a JB'd device for ages it seems. Now I've gotten my iPhone and iPad JB'd and loads of fun. I prefer the simple tweaks like FolderEnhancer, MultiIconMover, SBSettings, etc. Only noteworthy apps are BiteSMS and MyWi. Plus I'm keen on themes and such for my iPhone. Looking forward to some nice themes for the iPad 3 now.

15. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke for applocker. I don't have to worry about wondering eyes with my mail and social apps.

Also FolderEnhancer, ManualCorrect and Quasar, but imo Quasar isn't stable enough for me yet so I disabled it.

16. Jhax01 macrumors newbie

17. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

swipeselection is AMAZING and makes typing on your ipad/iphone so much better. Just try it, it's free and painless. Apple really should implement this for iOS6, it's that good.

One more thing I really like is NCSETTINGS

http://www.imore.com/2012/06/01/ncsettings-iphone-ipad-review-jailbreak/

It's much like SBSETTINGS but not as robust, however, I really only need it for 2 main functions: Easy and fast access to brightness and the flashlight (on my iphone). Lock rotation and volume is also there for quick access. No need to fuss with the home button or try to find your volume buttons on the side/top wherever.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I just jailbroke my iPad 3, and now I'm wondering why, lol.

Quasar, I'm sorry, but it looks really poor in that video. Over complicated, dragging windows about, resizing them ... no, not for me thanks.

I jail broke my iPhone 4 for Siri, FakeClockUp, and Zephyr. Siri is coming to the iPad 3 with iOS 6 (dictation is there already, so it's a cert that full Siri will be attached soon), it's already quick enough so doesn't need FakeClockUp, and has gestures which mean Zephyr is also a no-no.

Other than Quasar, what major iPad tweaks are there? I'm not interested in Installous, etc, before someone pipes up with that one.

19. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Since that would violate MR rules to discuss that app, hopefully you will be the only one who mentions it.

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

[​IMG]

Anyway, just restoring back to stock iOS 5.1.1. In my own opinion, there's clearly nowhere near enough tweaks as there are for iPhone to make the iPad worth jailbreaking.

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I would think WiFiFoFum and 3GUnrestrictor along with ProTube HD and iFile would make Cydia worth keeping and even if not, what is the downside of just leaving your iPad jailbroken in case you change your mind down the road?

22. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I think people who make the argument there's not enough tweak for the iPad have not looked properly at what's available.

Look at this thats going to be out later on today for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZZ8tS2cfIk&sns=em

It things like this that make the jailbreak worthwhile.

23. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Now thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting that up! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I always have this feeling that "something" can go wrong when Jailbroken, like my device is nowhere near as secure, someone somewhere can use one of their tweaks to access parts of my data I don't know they are, and hence I always end up restoring.

Regarding the things you mentioned, I've no need or interest in 3G Unrestrictor, iFile, or ProTube HD. With iFile specifically, I prefer to do things when it comes to the file system when sitting at my Mac with the device connected via USB. That's when I run iExplorer, and do anything file related (if I ever do).

----------

Thing is, I see a lot of tweaks on here that come across as tweaking for the sake of it, and some are really, really poor. It's the same as some of these themes you see in the iPhone hacks section, I have no idea why some can think some of those monstrosities are better than stock iOS in terms of polished appearance.

25. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

@Sylon, it should be on Cydia today for free. More info here.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/04/mountainlioncenter/

@WeegieMac, It's not possible to access someones device without knowing the root password. If you change it in Terminal from the stock password, it's impossible to access the device through SSH. The jailbreak team explained this recently at the jailbreak conference. I agree with you that Cydia is full of bad tweaks and bad themes but at least you get to choose whether to add it or not. That choice is the reason why people do it.

There is also many, many useful things that help to make the experience much better and more convenient.