why you love mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mudwoman22, May 31, 2010.

1. mudwoman22 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself (I'm new here, you may have seen my extremely long post about wmp issues), I'm Lu...and all of you are astoundingly responsive and helpful, so I wanted to say thank you.
    Also (the entire reason for this post):

I wanted to ask: why do you own a mac? What are the top three things that keep your neurons metaphorically salivating over this machine?

and (optional): what are your top three picks for best apps?

I apologize if this repeats any previous threads. Thanks again everyone. =)

2. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

1. It works
    2. Simplicity
    3. Reliability

Path Finder
    Chrome Browser
    iMail
    Jing

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Why Mac:
    1. Reliability (OS and machine)
    2. Functionality
    3. Aesthetics

Apps:
    1. Time Machine (can't ever say how much I love this)
    2. Quicksilver
    3. Adium

4. Laughingman13 macrumors member

Chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why Chrome over safari?

5. Laughingman13 macrumors member

I always wanted to try out Adium seeing as Ichat doesn't really support multiple IM protocols.

is it really good?

6. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

@laughingman: in my experience, chrome is faster, and I like the tab system better

7. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

plenty of people use chrome. i use it because it is noticeably faster than safari is. and it has extensions. there is really nothing i can think of that safari does better than chrome.

8. Ronnoco, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Chrome (although a bit of a battery hog) is definitely faster IMO...lighter and faster...it is my default browser on both my Acer NetBook and my MBP i5...

9. cys920622 macrumors member

Simplicity
    User-friendly
    Design
    Boot camp
    Reliability

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Same :D
    I love how mac osx allows one to switch between the two :]

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

For me, OS X has given me all the tools I need in one place:

I can run OS X or Windows apps using a variety of methods that suit me. I use VirtualBox (Free, kicks ass) to run my Windows apps. Mostly I use Visual Studio for VB, VC++ stuff but I do run other Windows apps as well. The great thing is I can run it in a safe environment. Windows is locked tightly to a single space (as in Spaces) and I snapshot the drive when I do something big so I don't loose anything.

When I want to play a game I can use Boot Camp to run full blown Windows 7 64bit Ultimate without any issues.

For smaller Windows apps, WINE is really nice. I use the MacPort version which has been nice for small items.

I don't really use Linux but I could if I wanted to.

I guess like I feel I have all my bases covered. :)

-P

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Another vote for Chrome. It has been great for me so far.

As far as the MBP goes, the huge pro for me is that I can run an OS that is reliable, safe, and user-friendly, while being able to run MS Office 2007/2010 under VMware whenever needed.

13. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Chrome is SUPER fast.
    MUCH faster than Safari, that's why it's my Browser of choice :)

14. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Everything everyone else said other than the Chrome part, FF + TabMixPlus plugin is by far a better choice, it also lets me import all my settings plugins addons bookmarks cookies blablabla with a simple copy and paste of one folder in all 3 OS distros I use (win7, macos, kubuntu)

15. Spulture macrumors member

Familiarity. I've been using Macs since I was four-years-old and I don't want to change what I already know and love.

Convenience. Macintosh computers have everything I need to get a job done. A lot of the time everything I needed was already built right into the OS.

Simplicity. Anything I need done on a Mac can be done very easily, it doesn't take a lot of complex effort to get something done.

My three favorite Applications:

1. iTunes
    2. Photoshop
    3. iWork

I like all of the Macintosh computers, but seeing as my MacBook Pro was a gift for college, it makes it even cooler. I would have been just as happy with a MacBook, but a MacBook Pro? Freaking sweet.

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

1: Mac OSX
    2: It's a Mac, the Unibody design is like a piece of granite!!
    3: It's the best looking laptop, small, compact, powerful, reliable.

4: :D it has Mag Safe, the BEST trackpad on any laptop, glass to protect the screen from myself haha.

Thought I'd add how I got into Macs. I used to work in IT, did it for about 8 years, may return to it one day but I have to admit it's heaven not dealing with Windows on a technical level.
    Anyway, I had a self built dual Xeon SCSI and raided machine with Quadro graphics. I came to the conclusion I hardly used ANY of it's power and it was crap at playing games. So I decided to replace it.
    Now I wasn't in IT anymore and my sister told me to look at Macs, she had one for a while, had that imac with the swan neck thing. Anyway I thought I would go investigating, and to my surprise I liked the Mac system and saw what I could do, bootcamp helped as well :D
    So I started to look at mac Pros thinking I would replace like for like, then woke up and decided it was not worth the cash as I would NEVER use the power.
    So then I decided to get a laptop, the idea of being able to take my ENTIRE computer ANYWHERE was great and they had the power I wanted and got my first Mac Book Pro, it was the Santa Rosa 2.4 if I remember. I had to have the screen catches repaired and a new power board fitted within the first year :rolleyes:
    I upgraded this to the 2.53 Unibody because I HATED the older keyboard ahhhhh!!! And I still have it, and it's had no faults, but I did have it replaced twice when I brought it due to marks behind the screen.
    So I shall be on my third this month I hope.

I in all honesty have not looked back, I love my Mac, I have abused OSX loads haha and it just keeps rocking, brilliant.

And I'll also tell ya on the quiet, I also chose a laptop as I was on an eco friendly trip, 85 watt PSU, much better for my planet :)

17. apple.gr macrumors regular

18. vacuumtube macrumors newbie

1. OSX.
    2. Unibody design is super sexy.
    3. Security.

Favorite apps:

iTunes
    Amarra
    XLD
    Plex
    Dark Castle 3
    Steam
    Osirix

I got into macs when I was a kid. I promised my parents I wouldn't watch TV for an entire year. At the end of the year, my reward was a mac, the old boxy 512k. I loved that machine and used it daily. When I became a teenager, I ended up going pc mainly b/c of the games and used pc's for two decades. Last year I was able to get a new laptop through work and went for the uMBP. Short story, I love computing again, it's no longer a hassle, and it's very portable. Doubt I'll ever go back to windows.

19. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

New mac convert:

Mac:
    1. OSX
    2. Design - Unibody - Keyboard - Trackpad
    3. Battery

Apps:
    1. Mail App
    2. iTunes is 100x better
    3. Aperture
    4. iMovie

20. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

Mac
    1)OSX=imo all around well made OS
    2)Simplicity= from installing or removing apps to using different usb devices
    3)quality= i don't even know where else but apple you can get an ips display in a laptop

Apps
    1)Mail
    2)time machine
    3)safari
    I know everyone is saying that chrome is better but safari works perfectly for me while i notice chrome acts up allot.

21. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I first got a MacBook for the solid wifi (the pc-tops I had were terrible with wireless and windows). Linux was just beginning to get wireless support so it was out. Getting the MacBook got me a mostly BSD backend with solid wifi support.

From there I just stuck to the platform. Its not perfect, but its easy on the eyes and lets me do my unix related work easily. :)

22. buddy1065 macrumors member

PRO's
    MBP Built like a tank.
    Does Windows.
    No VIRUSES on Mac OSX side. I always do my more sensitive stuff like paying bills on the MBP using OSX.

Con's
    Don't like the weight of my 15" so it is a desktop replacement.
    It gets very hot underneath.
    Right now I am using a 3 lb Sony Z as my mobile piece, it's cool, relatively quiet in light tasks, but waiting for the next gen Macbook Air though.

23. Smalss macrumors member

Just bought a 13" Pro. My first mac. Must say that OS X is amazing, trackpads on these are one of a kind. Battery life is unreal.

24. tekmoe macrumors 68000

25. bluesteel macrumors 6502

1. Reliability of hardware and OS
    2. Design of hardware
    3. Apple technical support and customer service