Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Depends. If the next version is weeks or days away, definitely makes sense to wait. But in this case it's months away, I wouldn't feel bad about buying now.

It just boils down to one thing - don't buy right before an update. And usually it's pretty predictable when the next one may be.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Disagree with most posts here. If you want an iPad - don't buy one now. Wait for the next iteration. Why? Because there's the always present limiting spec in apple's hardware as if to force upgrades - iPad 1 was an amazing device - but it came with 256mb of ram. And I feel that limitation now when multitasking, opening webpages, running intensive apps - less than 2 years after it was introduced it feels slow. Depending on what the previous app opened was, opening "huffingtonpost" on safari takes from 5 to 10 seconds, and it's taken longer.

iPad 2, iPhone 4 and 4s all have a sad 512 mb of Ram. These are devices made to choke up in a 2 year life cycle. And buying such devices when the cycle is about to end is not smart. That's why macrumors has a buyers guide - "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle." The word here is "need" it, not "want" it.

Not to mention the next iteration will have something major which iPad 2 is still fully capable of doing but apple will not release it as an updatable feature e.g. iPhone 3G not doing voice commands, iPhone 2G not recording videos, iPad 1 not doing wireless mirroring or screen mirroring out via HDMI, etc - most of these features are available upon jailbreaking... But if you've got cash to burn and don't mind apple's game of yearly upgrades - buy it and upgrade it when iPad 3 is here.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
iPad 2, iPhone 4 and 4s all have a sad 512 mb of Ram. These are devices made to choke up in a 2 year life cycle. And buying such devices when the cycle is about to end is not smart. That's why macrumors has a buyers guide - "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle." The word here is "need" it, not "want" it.

bologna!

Buy if you want/need/desire/like/could use/have an inklin you could use one.

First off no one knows when the iPad 3 is coming. We may be 8 months before the release. I am sure macrumors means by end of cycle is when a release is known. Like this past August people were pretty certain of the next iPhone would be released in October. With the probable delays with the A6 and possibly the 9.7 retina we may not have the release of the next big ipad in march.

Secondly, the 3GS is still a good phone and performs well. Heck it is quicker with ios 5 than it was with 4.3.x. You think if apple actually work like you state they would have made sure the JavaScript performed worse on the 3GS than it did before, and they would have discontinued it.

Life is too short to wait for things you want.
If you have the means, make the way.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Why you should wait for the iPad 3?

1. The iPad 2 display is a low resolution display (non-retina), has a problematic backlight system, and other serious problems for users around the world (not just the U.S.).
2. Apple works on a solution, which should be the iPad 3.

Besides that, i want GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO in my iPad 3 (Apple already supports GLONASS with the iPhone 4S). :D

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
There will always be a next iteration. When do you get off the pot? :cool:

This is a "why you should wait" thread - and I've given a few reasons, maybe valid - maybe not. All I can say to prospective buyers out there: The best time to buy an apple product is when it's first out. Not 4 months from a new release. why? blah blah blah

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
This is a "why you should wait" thread - and I've given a few reasons, maybe valid - maybe not. All I can say to prospective buyers out there: The best time to buy an apple product is when it's first out. Not 4 months from a new release. why? blah blah blah

Care to wager that the iPad 3 with Retina and A6 is not released in Feb/March?

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
1. The iPad 2 display is a low resolution display (non-retina), has a problematic backlight system, and other serious problems for users around the world (not just the U.S.).
2. Apple works on a solution, which should be the iPad 3.

Besides that, i want GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO in my iPad 3 (Apple already supports GLONASS with the iPhone 4S). :D

The iPad 3 will have problems and you should wait for the iPad 4
The iPad 4 will ha..... oh nevermind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.