Why you should wait for the iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

The way I see it, the newer model will always have performance upgrades in the technology industry. I'm happy with my iPad 2, when the 3 comes out - I'll replace my 2 with it.

@SPEEDwithJJ: your signature is just sad... seriously.

4. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Will sell my old iPad on ebay when the iPad 3 is available will get one.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Why wait? If you want/need something now, it is silly to wait. It could be next June'ish until we see the iPad 3. If they indeed go with the Quad Core A6, which I would think they would.

I bought two iPad 2s last week and have NO regrets... :D

6. Mindy60 macrumors regular

I am with Sandman. I bought an iPad 2 this week and am glad I did, especially since the iPad 3 has been pushed out. Remember, iPad 2 is still just months old.

But I am excited about what Apple might be coming up with next! I have the iPhone 4 and hoping the next iPad incarnation will be just as groundbreaking! If it is, I'll be getting one. :)

I do love my new iPad 2 though!

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Waiting for the next technology is a horrible way to enjoy technology...

Why not wait for a thought activated computer that speaks to you via a cochlear implant and that you view through a cornea implant... It's coming you know.....

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Coming soon: Why you should wait for the iPad 4

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

People who wait for the next big thing will never be satisfied, it's the never ending waiting game. I buy every version, use it and enjoy it and then simply sell the old one and buy a new one.

The iPad 2 has more than enough power for the current software and is a stable workhorse as a mobile computing device.

Quad cores will be nice, but the dual core is fast, stable and runs every app I need to run.

Enjoy the perpetual wait, I'll be enjoying the iPads as they come out and love the upgrades but won't sit on the sidelines wondering what's next.

10. pcunite macrumors member

I'm not waiting ... when the Windows 8 tablet comes out ... you know a tablet with USB and folder/file hierarchy ... I'll buy it.

11. Kupp macrumors regular

Because I paid for AppleCare, same reason I am waiting for whatever they call the iPhone after the 4S, which by my record should be the iPhone 6.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The only thing I want with an iPad 3 is an updated wireless chip that can do CDMA + GSM unlocked + HSPA+ on compatible carriers. Other than that, I'm happy with the current iPad. I'm planning to get mine in Dec.

13. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I'm waiting for the iPad 30! I heard it's gonna have 400 cores and 10TB of RAM.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm waiting for an iPad 3 only because I already have an iPad 1, and I always wait at least two years before upgrading.

15. big samm macrumors 65816

Yup same here, waiting for the 3 i have a ipad 1 3G and still use it everyday! I didnt feel the need to getthe ipad2 at the time but the 3 should be a good upgrade! Unlike my iphones i always upgrade them every year!

16. Captjlucpicard macrumors newbie

Well, that's that. I suppose I should start using my iPad 2 as a pooper scooper :(

17. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Lol;)

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I thought it was about the user experience and not really the hardware.

Although the next System-on-a-Chip (SoC) from Apple will be faster than the Tegra 3.

19. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

processor and/or screen upgrades aside, the battery life is one of the most important aspects for me. i use my ipad during my long commutes and having a 10hr battery runtime is key. i'm not one of those people who likes to fuss with charging devices every day. not having to charge the ipad2 every 24 hrs is a major attraction for me and one of the reasons why i'm not tempted to try the smaller tablets like the htc flyer (as a supplemental device).

it's going to be challenging for apple (along with other tablet manufacturers) to upgrade cpu/gpu performance while still keeping the size & weight down, esp. the latter. if the ipad3 does not at least have have the same battery life as the ipad2, i may actually elect to stay with the 2.

we'll have to see...having a quad-core cpu in a future tablet really means very little to me.

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Honestley if the only upgrade the iPad 3 got was a quad core processor I would not get it. As many have pointed out on this forum it is not about the specs but the UI. The iPad 2 [I don't have one but I use them a lot] runs terrific. The only feature I would want is a retina display. I have a dual core macbook air [i7] and even if it does use virtual cores I never get beach balls, thus I do not have the need for a quad core tablet. I

21. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

My question is: does it really matter how many cores the current or future iPads have? The developers seem to be so so slow of updating the apps for the current dual core never mind anything higher. What, about a tenth of the apps on offer actually are optimised to harness the power of dual cores? ....I have an iPad 2 and I may as well have kept the first one for all the use the apps are. Running a little bit smoother or quicker is really not much benefit , give us better apps to show off it's power!

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. Wait until the iPad 6. That one is really going to rock your world.

Asus is pretty cool, and I think Android tablet makers are starting to hit their stride. No killers out there, but when you have gobs of devices in production, you'll eat away market share through sheer numbers.

I know a lot of people have played down the next iPad, saying it will be something like a 2s without the retina display, but I think Apple may surprise us. I like my iPad 2, and I would recommend someone get it now (you can always sell it later). I think users were willing to give the 2 a pass for being hardware deficient (what is up with these cameras?), but Apple needs to hit it out of the park on the next one, so I think we'll get a retina display :)

I am sure the processor will be improved as well, and perhaps we'll get more RAM, but without a better display, it's going to be difficult to distinguish itself in terms of hardware.

23. Stefx73 macrumors regular

What a shocker.... The next generation of a device will be more powerful than the previous one.... This changes my perspective on the world of electronics.
    /sarcasm
    Are there people still hanging on to their 286, waiting for the next generation of CPUs coming up in the next few months?

24. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I have an iPad, having had a "play" with my friends iPad 2, I am left with the conclusion that it is better in every way, however, I don't believe that it is sufficiently superior to warrant upgrading my original iPad.

I fully agree with many comments here about waiting for technology is the wrong way, but on this occasion I will wait for the iPad 3 or 2S (Whichever comes sooner).......and no longer to upgrade.

25. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't think we'll see a quad iPad until next fall. I can forsee and iPad 2S in the spring with a 3 in the fall. I don't think quads or the high res screen will be ready for the usually release time frame.

Personally I won't be upgrading at all next year. I can't see anything I will need it to do that my current iPad 2 won't. I'll get a new iPhone every year but the iPad is going to be an every other year upgrade. My usage doesn't justify upgrading every year.