Why you shouldn't buy a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hollyw0od, Sep 8, 2010.

1. hollyw0od macrumors member

Owned an iPod once and that was a not-so-great experience, then I thought, well, maybe I'll give their computers a try. Purchased a Mac Mini, thinking there would be some great thing about owning a "Mac" — not! All hype and no delivery. Wait, I take that back . . . they made made 'feel' great after I installed it, like I'd joined some great club, and it's SO pretty, heh.

Anyhow, the performance was nothing compared to the computer I recently built for nearly the same price (not to mention that in Windows 7, everything just works). Things simple as "going to sleep" in OS X automatically failed to work; glitches, etc. How annoying coming from a supposed 'superior' computer. Oh, and also, the one tech support person that I did speak with during my experience, well, let's just say that I was more technically knowledgeable than he was. Sad.

So maybe people buy into hype and marketing since it makes them feel good to belong to a club, but I see no "real" benefits of owning one, other than what a friend mentioned: hardware is the same, therefore, good for video editing.

And really, OS X is not the greatest in my opinion. Everything is overpriced! Disagree, Mac fans? That's fine, as we all have our preferences, however, some people need to wake up! :)

P.S. Here is come nice information as why you shouldn't buy a Mac!

P.P.S. I take that back. There is actually ONE good reason for buying a Mac: Resell value! I sold mine faster than a hotcake on Craig's List for nearly the same price I'd bought it for. Yeah, he was Mac-enthused! :D

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

I'm not a "mac fan" but I like what I use cause they provide me with what I need.

And I'm an owner of an "overpriced" Mac Pro - sure you could build a machine just as powerful but cheaper but **** it. I don't want to do that. I'm not going to build a volatile hackintosh, nor a Windows Machine.

Windows isn't what I need. OS X is the greatest for me. And that's what is important.

While some of your points are valid. They're all reasons why YOU, hollyw0od, shouldn't buy a Mac. They're not reasons why every other person shouldn't.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I've never had any glitches with the computer going to sleep and owned a Mac for over 2 years (not as long as some people on this forum) or have I ever had a problem with their tech support one of the best I've ever dealt with, ask them anything with apple care and they'll answer it.

Guess macs aren't for all people though and hope you're enjoying whatever computer you're using now.

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Glad you can recognize that Mac Pros are very well-built and amazing machines! :)

For anyone else that is curious or thinks Mac Pros are "overpriced", go take a look at the current Mac Pro lineup and the EXACT parts that are used. If you price out those components on Newegg or somewhere similar, you'll find that you really aren't getting overcharged simply because "LOLITSMAC," like many people think. What many fail to realize is the part quality that Mac Pros are built with - most of the components are server grade parts which generally run on the expensive side. If you spec out the Mac Pro at Newegg and then factor in the extras like Mac OSX and the PHENOMENAL case, it's right on par. You may be able to build a cheaper machine, but I guarantee you will have nowhere near the build quality that a Mac Pro has.

Grats on having an awesome rig (that I'm jealous of too)!

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

What did you actually try a DO with the computer?

You said yu tried the "sleep" function. Is there anything else you tried?

The way to compare the computer to another one like say a Linux Ubuntu powered PC is to compare it on the job. Say you want to record some music or edit 250 photos into a slide show or pull the video ut of an iPod and make something for u-tube.

Actually I think this must be a troll because there are no speciics in the OP's complaint. People with real problems have specific things happen an talk about what they are and how to attempted to fix them.

So again what do you DO with your computers

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yes, I am fully aware of the price of the components and what-not. Including the price of the various configurations from competing places (like Dell). The Mac Pro when compared part for part is roughly equivalent to other places. Sorta why I put overpriced inside quotation marks ;)

And thanks for being jealous :p

8. luke_s macrumors member

luke_s

Please don't compare the configuration of a computer on a manufcturer website with what you have to pay if you select the components at a reseller. try this at dell.com and take a look at the prices, and yes Xeon CPUs are that freakin' expensive.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am Microsoft consultant, specializing in Exchange Server. I am saying that so that you can understand where I am coming from. I own Macs since 2006. The reason for me was Vista. It was just so bad, and I don't mean it like most people think that I do. Vista was interface wise a total disaster. When Windows 7 beta came out, I decided to install it on my Mac Pro (1st gen Mac Pro). I was really happy to have Windows as my main OS. After a couple of months I completely uninstalled Mac OS X and start using Windows 7 as my sole OS. That was last year.

After a year of many experiences with Windows 7 on two different machines (my Mac Pro and my business Dell Laptop), I have to say that Windows 7 might be the best Windows version of all time, but it still sucks big time!
    Unless you need a special app that isn't available for Mac (and do not want to use virtualization), there is no reason to abandon Mac OS X.
    For the people that wonder whay I say that Windows 7 sucks I have following points to make:
    • Many times my systems become slow without any particular reason. Even standard OS installations experience the slowdowns. I consider myself a Windows expert and I know what is happening on my systems. I can analyze the running processes with tools from Sysinternals, so please don't just assume that I don't know how to use Windows.
    • I had three times problems with the NTFS file system where the OS needed to repair my boot drive, without any particular reason. The reason I am mentioning this is to prove that Windows 7 isn't as reliable as many people think.
    • On my laptop, when I use a UMTS stick that my company gave me, the system becomes slow and unresponsive. Only a reboot helps. Using the same UMTS stick on my Mac works great. Windows is still susceptible to driver issues, much more than Mac OS.
    • The GUI is totally inconsistent. There are many hidden options and many places to look for them. on Mac OS X everything is concentrated in one place.
    • The quality of the programs is much better on Mac. Even if the quantity is for Windows, programs do not follow basic GUI guidelines, or they don't look polished enough.
    • I know many will say that they already heard that, but there is no equivalent to iPhoto. This is the sad truth.
    • IChat multiple conferencing is also missing. Skype has now a beta that supports that but I don't know how good it is since I haven't tested it.
    • Power Management on Windows is a total disaster. Mac OS X on the other hand works perfectly.
    • User access control is just badly implemented and doesn't really offer the promised protection.

I bought a new Mac Pro last week and I am a happy Mac OS X user. For my Windows testing I use VMWare Fusion.

Windows isn't as polished as Mac OS X, works worse and it is maybe just good enough for most people but not the best.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As noted, what did you actually try to DO with the Mac? Most likely you ran some performance benchmarks, determined that the performance was sub-par for the dollar for running benchmarks (your favorite hobby, as is the case for many PC geeks?) What you've failed to realize is that for people who actually just want to USE their computer to do or create things, Apple specializes in creating an experience that just 'gets out of the way.' That's not for you - and that's fine. When benchmarks are your primary goal, why you would choose to buy a system that is designed for minimal footprint, aesthetics, and low noise is beyond me...

11. baslotto macrumors regular

Yeah don't buy it!

I'm with the OP.
    Less people buy a Mac, less viruses will be created for the Mac.

Don't buy a Mac people, I want to keep my Mac functional for another couple of years! :D

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

How can you get less than zero? :confused:

13. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Petvas, you are spot on and your response was an interesting read. Couldn't agree more.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Bah, I should have rephrased that (and I just did) - I was more so speaking to other people who think Mac Pros are overpriced, not you! :) Apologies, didn't intend to (slightly) insult you.

It's amazing how many people are blind to what is actually inside a Mac Pro, huh?

It amuses me when people insist on Mac bashing.
    On a Mac forum.
    With a bunch of Mac junkies.
    /facepalm
    What exactly do they think is going to happen?

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

The moment the OP said they had problems with 'Sleep' was the moment I knew that either they had managed to a) get a faulty system, and therefore all comparisons are useless b) mucked up their system by added a flaky add-on optimizer, and therefore all comparisons are useless, or c) making this up entirely.

One can debate all sorts of things about OS X vs Windows, which are all personal preferences, etc etc

However, a Mac that is working as designed can 'Sleep'. It does so easily, reliably, and quickly. If it is not 'Sleeping' then something is wrong. I have personal experience (mine, my wife, my business) with Macs from a G4 iBook to MBPs to a MBA to Minis to a Mac Pro. They have had problems from time to time.... but never 'Sleep'.

Of course YMMV as always.... but I'm comfortable with my sample size.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like there are a few folks who desperately want a Mac but can't afford it, so they complain about Mac prices. If you can't afford a Mac, buy something else! No one is forcing you to spend money on a Mac. Apple charges what they charge. Period. If you think the prices are unfair or unreasonable, don't buy! :rolleyes: Get over it, already! Macs aren't for everyone. Dells aren't for everyone. Nothing that man creates meets the needs of everyone. That's life.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your story sounds almost just like mine! I too worked on windows desktops and servers for the longest time and switched to Mac when Vista came out. Vista couldn't copy the terabytes of data I had across multiple drives (yet my $300 eeePC running linux could !?). Supposedly this was due to some volume shadow copy error fixed in SP1, dunno, I couldn't wait that long I needed something that would work that week.

I also had the same experience with Win 7. Yes, IMO its the best Windows OS, but not the best OS. People I think like it so much because it is a lot better then Vista, but still not great IMO and for my uses (although for gaming its really good and I still have it since I program in Direct X on occasion.). There is still a ton of work to be done on Win 7.

I couldn't agree more too about the options being scattered everywhere. They are a little bit better organized, but still scattered. This is one of the pain in the ass things about working on windows machines is you have to go digging through everything to find what you are looking for.

Ok enough of my story lol. The OP is just trolling anyway. I've never seen any mac behave the way the OP "thinks" they behave.

19. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

Wrong wrong wrong!
    The best windows was 3.1 ;)

20. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Guess he changed his mind?

21. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

^ Yeah, looks like the honeymoon's over for him :p

22. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Everyones experiences are different, but it does not sound like you really wanted a Mac anyways.

I have been a Mac owner since 1988. I knew nothing about a computer and the store that i bought my first Mac fro also sold PCs. I took a class for PC and Mac and for me Windows was so much harder to deal with for me. Even System 5 was a no brainer for me.

I ultimately bought a Mac mainly for the above reason, but also most printers at the time had Mac front ends for printing and I wanted to get into desktop publishing and design.

Since 1988 I have owned many Apple Computers and by in large have had very few software or hardware issues. For me as a graphic designer, I needed a computer that worked, since deadlines are a major factor in this business.

I own a Mac because they just work with few software or hardware issues. I know after all this time that my computer will work when I hit the power button and I can design or produce whatever I need in a timely and efficient manner.

I have many friends who own a PC and they complain constantly about their computers, and I have other friends who complain about their Mac. Everything is relative.

Glad you can build your own computer, but the majority of people only know hoe to turn theirs on, write letters, send emails, and go online. Some never even install more software than what came on their computer when they bought it.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Great post, couldn't have said it better! I use Windows daily and I have nothing against it but it's still Windows with all it's pros and cons. Vista was awful, that made me buy a Mac. W7 is a whole new story but it's not flawless, nor is OS X. If I built a desktop for me, it would likely be a Hackintosh with Windows 7 running in VM 24/7.

In the end, this is a preference thing. There is no best or worst OS out there

24. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Cost. If you have a limited budget and need heavy computing power, Apple is not an option.

25. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

All I see is a rant and outdated website, oh and your crappy build quality pc that is slow :)