Why your iPhone might be charging slow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akash.nu, Oct 11, 2017.

1. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Found this video that explains how various charging cables make a difference in charging your iOS device.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Thanks. Very informative.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, my cousin was using a knockoff 3rd party lightning wire for her 6 plus that she bought at a convenience store or something.
    It would take forever and charge very slow.
    I dont get why people get these junk wires from dollar stores and gas stations thinking they will be reliable or MFI certified :D

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

YES, this is very true. I had a coworker with a USB voltage meter thingy.... the cheap noname chinese cables max out around 1a. I bought one of those 5 packs for $7 on Amazon. EVERY SINGLE CABLE has died. Several melted the plastic housing and got so hot it almost started a fire. If I hadn't let go as quick as I did, I'd have burnt my fingers pretty bad.

If you're not spending $6/cable, it's not MFI certified (good rule of thumb). And it is NOT worth saving a few bucks to get an under performing cable that can cause injury or fire - let alone damage to your phone.

Anker is a pretty good company - I've used their cables and had pretty good results with them. Apple's own cables don't last me too long. The Anker PowerLine cables are the best and my most favorite.

Thanks for the video. The veins in that guy's arm! :p

5. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Yep, I’m using a Anker as well. Had one of the Amazon basic ones before but ruined it by dropping the iPad while it was connected. That lasted me well over a couple of years. Hoping this one will last long as well.

6. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

+1 for the Anker cables. Or anything from Anker for that matter.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Anker is reputable. Belkin is another reliable brand as well. And I'm sure most know this, but MFI or Made for iPhone is important when purchasing a charging cable. If it doesn't have that certification, avoid at all cost.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I had a friend show me his new cable for charging his iPhone and it had LEDs built into it and when charging these LEDs would go into this sequential mode and created quite a light show!

While the light show was impressive, I hate to think about how much power was being robbed from the iPhone charging system.

9. Helmsley macrumors member

Helmsley

I'm using a genuine Apple charger and Lightning Cable but lately my 6s seems to take ages to charge.

10. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

This could be down to your battery degradation. If you have a Mac then download coconut battery and check it yourself or take it to 

11. Helmsley macrumors member

Helmsley

I thought that too...however when fully charged it can still last 19 hours before needing juicing up again.

12. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Very interesting to say the least. Is it the 5w charger you’re using?

13. Helmsley macrumors member

Helmsley

Yes it is. It seems to fly up to around 60% but then takes agessss to get to 100%.

14. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

That sounds like normal behaviour to me to be honest. The charging does slow down as it goes closer to 100%

15. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

I love the Anker chargers. Last year I bought one of their case and glass phone protectors for my 6s though, and both have been garbage. First protector I've ever had that has been cracked in multiple places, and the case makes it a total pain in the butt to use any buttons. I decided to just leave it on until I see how pre-orders for the X go, if I get one in the near future the 6S will go in a lifeproof and setup for the wife.

For cables I've always had great luck with Monoprice.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that 5W charger is slow.
    I only use it when I plug in overnight.
    During the day if I need a boost a use an ipad charger plug and it charges way faster.

--- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    Same here.
    Monoprice wires are great, priced good and they are strong and durable.

17. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Talking about the fast charging situation, it seems the new usb c ones and the traditional 12w iPad chargers don’t have much difference when it comes to charging time. I’m sticking to my iPad charger rather than spending more money on another brick.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Another Anker user here. Been very impressed with them. They were the first non Apple brand ones I'd tried and I am pleased with the results. I also have a couple of USB 3 card readers of theirs

19. iSayBoourns macrumors 6502a

iSayBoourns

That’s normal behaviour.

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Like @Newtons Apple has said before in many other threads --- I'm finding my phone is perfect with my current setup - very similar to the way Newtons Apple does it (except I do it day and night) :).

Anker sent me a FREE replacement for the wireless pad that broke (no questions asked) -- so I have a wireless charger at work and at home. My phone is always at 100% now. lol. Kinda nice never connecting a cable to my phone and having it at 100% all the time. :p

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Was not sure I would care for the wireless charging be have found it to very convenient dropping on the pad and just picking it up when you get a call. I also figure less wear and tear on the port! It is a luxury but worth it.

22. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Doesn’t the longevity of the battery take a hit if you keep it at 100% all the time?

23. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Unfortunately I like to use my phone while on charge. wireless charging is never an option for me.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It can, but batteries today handle it MUCH better than the li-ions of 8-10 years ago. I've kept my 6s+ and 6+ plugged in for the majority of the day for two years each (listening to music while plugged in) - they did very well.

It is better to do 40%-80% but I'm far too lazy to do that --- I do that on my Dell Latitude business laptop cuz it has software that allows me to stop charging at 80%. :)

But yeah the phones handle it really well. I upgrade every few years - my 6+ had 200+ cycles and was 99% design capacity (started at 103%) and my 6s+ had 230 cycles at 94% design capacity (started out at 96%).

My 8+ is 102% design capacity. :)

The only negative thing now? My phone at 100% all the time, my Anker batteries (4 of them) can't be used as often. :(

The iPhone charges so slowly past 80% that it doesn't hurt the battery much at all --- and it will let the phone go from 100% to 95% before charging again (when sitting on a charger) - all the while displaying 100%.

25. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Could it be because you didn’t realise the degradation because of having the plus models always? Because I definitely noticed it on my 6.

Hope the 8+ doesn’t get to that point. I’m not looking to upgrade before at least 2 years. Although with IUP now, I might go on a yearly cycle.