Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Okay...so what are the reasons you are looking to purchase the new iphone 3g or upgrade from your current iphone?

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
3G is reason enough for me. I use my current iPhone for browsing quite a bit and EDGE is incredibly slow. GPS is a nice touch as well. Mainly 3G though.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
Okay...so what are the reasons you are looking to purchase the new iphone 3g or upgrade from your current iphone?

This is the question that is popping in my head often. I don't know why but I always want what Apple offers :D

timmypv15

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
to be honest. the "improved audio" is the biggest feature for me, im just hoping theres an actual noticable improvement

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm not planning on upgrading because it's too much extra money ($200 or $300 upfront, plus that lame $18 upgrade fee, then add extra $10/month) for not a lot more. 3G is probably nice, but I really don't use the data connection much when not in a WiFi area. When I do, EDGE suffices most of the time.

GPS would be a nice addition, but I have a GPS unit in my car. I could always use more storage space, but I want 32GB or more and I would be committing to two years of a 16GB phone if I bought it now.

In other words, it's a lotta buck for not a lotta bang. If you don't have one already, it's a good deal. For upgrading, eh.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London

I don't have an iPhone, but here are my reasons for upgrading. Well, I bought a RAZR V3i with iTunes just when the RAZR was starting to become el cheepo phone. So, with its lack of features, horrible UI, and the fact that I've wanted an iPhone since iDay, really makes the question, why not purchase one. LOL:D

July 11th, so close, yet so far.................

If I was a current iPhone user, the main upgrade factors for me would be the 3G speed and GPS. Plus I like the single color plastic over the two toned aluminum/black back.

Naked Snake

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
having never owned an iphone! buying the new iphone 3g would be my first iphone which i can't wait to buy one! 3g, gps, improved audio are some reasons but mainly just finally getting an iphone! by the way im new here so hello to everybody!

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
having never owned an iphone! buying the new iphone 3g would be my first iphone which i can't wait to buy one! 3g, gps, improved audio are some reasons but mainly just finally getting an iphone! by the way im new here so hello to everybody!

Welcome. I'm just as excited as you to get my first iPhone. :) Happy posting! :D

TheFam

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008

Whats up naked snake, welcome to the forum!

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Naked Snake, welcome!!

I am getting it as an upgrade from my v1 iPhone, well, because I am what they call "ate up" with Apple products.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I don't know but I am waiting until iPhone 4G with 3.0 software. :rolleyes:
The current iPod Touch (which is close enough to an iPhone) I have is good enough for me.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I'm not planning on upgrading because it's too much extra money ($200 or $300 upfront, plus that lame $18 upgrade fee, then add extra $10/month) for not a lot more. 3G is probably nice, but I really don't use the data connection much when not in a WiFi area. When I do, EDGE suffices most of the time.

GPS would be a nice addition, but I have a GPS unit in my car. I could always use more storage space, but I want 32GB or more and I would be committing to two years of a 16GB phone if I bought it now.

In other words, it's a lotta buck for not a lotta bang. If you don't have one already, it's a good deal. For upgrading, eh.

That pretty much sums up my feelings too. I like my first gen iPhone, but nothing in the new version makes me go WHOOOO, and the few things I am excited about are software based, like colored calendars and more apps.

I think the next upgrade after this will be more compelling to me, either because my current one will be long in the tooth or because it will offer something spectacular (maybe A2DP or something cool like that.)

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
to be honest. the "improved audio" is the biggest feature for me, im just hoping theres an actual noticable improvement

I'm really hoping that "improved audio" means the damn thing will be loud enough to hear while I'm driving! In fairness, I drive a Jeep with a soft top, but if I'm on the freeway, forget it!

timmypv15

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
I'm really hoping that "improved audio" means the damn thing will be loud enough to hear while I'm driving! In fairness, I drive a Jeep with a soft top, but if I'm on the freeway, forget it!

my feeling exactly, i can't even hear it in my pocket.
haha when im driving i put it on vibrate and then put it in the cup holder because i can hear it bouncing around better than i hear it ring

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
The general consensus I'm seeing is that just about half...if not more than half that already own an iphone, are opting not to 'upgrade'

Is this strictly based on the 'upgrade' in overall cost as well, mainly because the new options just aren't worth enough or a combo of both?

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
fully agree.

I think that I've just about talked myself into it. :)

I can't think of anything that would make me happier right now...something to get my mind off of the inevitable 'stay-cation' :\

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
This will be my first iPhone. I wanted one last year, but we only had one income because I had elected to stay home with our baby and hadn't gone back to work yet.

Why did I want one in the first place? Phone + iPod + internet + email. Wherever I go. Hello. A no brainer. I'm jazzed that the one I get will have 3G, because I've played around with the 1st gen iPhones and it takes a painfully long time for web pages to load. I think the new ones look nicer, too. The tapered edges seem more comfortable to hold, and the aluminum back with the random* strip of black plastic at the bottom was fugly.

*I know it wasn't really random, but it looked random.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
1) GPS

2) 3G internet(ehh edge is fast but not fast enough)

3)Maps with 3g like I get lost all the time and this 5 block thing isn't working

4) Plastic backing like idk about you but it annoyed me that I had a two tone phone

5)The headphone jack(no more cutting headphones)

6)possibly clearer phone calls due to 3g (more clear and secure phone calls)

7)Improved speakers( songs and also speaker phone)

Thats pretty much all i think of on the top of my head oh yeah being the cool kid on the block priceless.........

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I broke the screen on my iphone. Instead of fixing the screen back in march when it happened i decided to just wait it out. I was planning to keep the old one but it sold on ebay yesterday:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.