Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
Is it because it's the new color and you want to distinguish your new phone from the previous one?
Is it because you really like gold?
Is it because it's flashier than space gray or silver?

I kinda regret not having chosen gold now since everyone seems to be getting that color even though I don't like gold that much.
Because last year, there was no X in a gold finish. Also, I've heard gold colored phones is big business in China

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Basically I like the gold/bronze/copper colour best of the 3 available, never been a SG fan. Of course if there were to be a nice purple Xr, then I would be very tempted.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I am just genuinely interested in knowing what made so many people choose gold this year over the other available colors. Apple also seems committed to promoting this color over the others this year, just watch the promotional videos. I just like to follow trends. Had I known beforehand that gold would be this popular I would've definitely gotten it instead of silver even though I prefer it over gold. It's not a matter of being young or not, it's just the way I am.

I think most people just get the color that they themselves like. Since that’s not what you prefer to do then that might not make a lot of sense to you.

For myself, I like seeing color in my phones and this years version of gold is one that I think looks great.

I should probably add that (IMO) iPhone “gold” got progressively worse until this year. The 5S was gorgeous. The 6-7 version of gold was meh to me. And I didn’t like 8+ “gold” at all. This year I feel like Apple did a really good job.

Last edited:

treyhunnid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
I went for gold. Not because I want to show off that I have the latest iPhone, but because it just matches so well with the saddle brown leather case, which I always use for my phones.
and too stunt a lil bit too, dont front...

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Gold actually doesn't look flashy, from what I've seen in videos, which I like.

If I got one I'd probably go for Space Grey, but I am yet to see Gold in person.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Just got home with my gold XS max that I had no intention of buying this year. This color is amazing. Was skeptical but I’m loving the size, coming from an X.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I didn’t go gold because I liked the silver. The plain stainless steel band, in my opinion, looks much better than the grey or gold ones. Has a ring of the original iPhone to it.

Reactions: rwings01

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Simply put I really like the gold color on the iPhone XS. And I don’t give a rat’s ass what anyone thinks. I don’t even care if no one notices I use an iPhone. Some of the comments and threads are so juvenile around here. It boggles the mind that most of these people are adults :confused:

gkn1999

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
I love this gold color. I also don't like black and my X was silver which I also loved. But I do like this gold better ...it's subtle.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Is it because it's the new color and you want to distinguish your new phone from the previous one?
Is it because you really like gold?

The above 2 reasons and ...

For the my past 2 phones I have had the gold version ... so 3-4+ years now I have had gold. Looks like, if all goes well, another 2 years at least I will too.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I ordered gold because I have always liked gold. This gold however I did not like. I returned it on Monday and yesterday picked up a silver Max instead, which is what my X was.

Reactions: rwings01

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Firstly, I had silver for an X last year. My husband had the space gray. He and I both wanted to see something new and different we haven’t owned before.

Secondly, it went with a lot of other jewelry and accessories I own. I also like the sort of bronze cast to it.

I don’t think there’s a color proposed for this year that I dislike and that goes for the upcoming XR models. Apple has done well with the colors.

Scarlet Siren

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Edinburgh
Prevously had black, slate, space grey handsets. Last year I got the gold 8 Plus, I loved the colour but the white bezel annoyed me. (When I use Lightroom and photoshop to view or edit photos the background is always grey/dark which is my preference).

This year’s gold what i’ve always hoped for.

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Because I don't like black, I had the Silver X and wanted something different. I had the gold 6, rose gold 6s Plus and 7 plus and gold 8 plus. My SO always gets silver, so also makes it easier to differentiate.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I kinda regret not having chosen gold now since everyone seems to be getting that color even though I don't like gold that much.

This confuses me. Why are other peoples’ choices convincing you to get a color you don’t like?

For what it’s worth, no one I know has the gold. My wife and I each have space grey, one coworker has silver, and the others at work also have space grey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.