Wi-Fi Alliance Simplifies Wi-Fi Naming Scheme With Upcoming 'Wi-Fi 6' Release

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wi-Fi Alliance, dedicated to developing new wireless networking standards, is planning to make Wi-Fi naming simpler with the upcoming launch of the newest Wi-Fi standard, 802.11ax.

802.11ax will be known as "Wi-Fi 6," making it easier for Wi-Fi users to understand the difference between 802.11ax, 802.11ac, and 802.11n.

[​IMG]

With the launch of Wi-Fi 6, 802.11ac will be known as "Wi-Fi 5," while 802.11n will be known as "Wi-Fi 4."
    Wi-Fi 6 will introduce higher data rates, increased capacity, better performance in dense environments like concerts and sporting events, and improved power efficiency so Wi-Fi won't eat up as much battery on future devices.

In 802.11ax tests, speeds of up to 4.8Gbit/s over the 5GHz band have been reached. In demonstrations at CES, speeds maxed out at 11Gbit/s.

The new capabilities being introduced are outlined below, as specified by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

[*]Uplink and downlink orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA) increases efficiency and lowers latency for high demand environments
    [*]1024 quadrature amplitude modulation mode (1024-QAM) enables peak gigabit speeds for emerging, bandwidth-intensive use cases
    [*]Improved medium access control (MAC) control signaling increases throughput and capacity while reducing latency
    [*]Increased symbol durations make outdoor network operations more robust

Wi-Fi 6 is expected to provide performance improvements to smart home setups with multiple Internet of Things devices, as well as businesses and those running large-scale deployments. The Wi-Fi 6 standard is expected to be finalized next year.

Article Link: Wi-Fi Alliance Simplifies Wi-Fi Naming Scheme With Upcoming 'Wi-Fi 6' Release

2. Keness macrumors member

I support this wholeheartedly... Having to do tech support for family and friends is tedious with the technobabble. This just makes a lot of sense.

3. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Wow its almost like they took a page out of Apples naming convention book

4. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

I don't know about this. I loved how obscure and obfuscated it all was. I'm not sure the public is ready to be talking about WiFi version numbers. Besides, it's a protocol, not a software release.

But ... on the other hand, it would make life easier. So I say bring it on.

5. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

6. PwrSuprUsr macrumors newbie

PwrSuprUsr

Yes, but I think you think of it like 3G or 4G where this is not just WiFi version 6 but rather WiFi 6th Generation. It makes lumping in the specifics much easier.

7. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Of course they announce a new standard just weeks after I upgrade my home WiFi to Mesh. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It will be years before everyone catches up. I’m dumping my time capsule for a current mesh system myself very soon.

9. BradWI macrumors member

Should’ve got rid of the dash in WiFi while they’re at it.

10. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Why did it take until now for someone to figure this out? This is a way better naming convention.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Que all the questions of. Will my 802.11n device work with WiFi 5? What's better 802.11 ac or WiFi 5?

12. busuan macrumors member

13. thenewyorkgod macrumors member

Here I am still struggling to find an AC router that has the speed and reliability of my trusty old WRT54G

14. Jetfire macrumors 6502

The number of Wifi devices have exploded in that last couple of years since 802.11ac is over five years old. As people add more to their network more problems arise. This means more tech calls.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

If this doesn't deserve a FINALLY then I don't know what does. Nothing rolls off the tongue quite like 802.11ax. Now if only Eero would put out a WiFi 6 compatible mesh network. My AirPort Extreme WiFi 5 isn't cutting it with gigabit speeds in my neighborhood now. I've been thinking about setting up a cheap router as a bridge until Eero updates their products.

16. jontech macrumors 6502

Wi-Fi 9:Return of the Last Jedi (Written and Produced by JJ Abrams)

17. kognos macrumors member

This is "meh". All it does is create the false illusion that the higher number is better. It's not, in all cases. On a very basic level, a higher number is better, but for example, people would absolutely prefer WiFi4 over WiFi5 in a large house, as the 802.11ac signal strength is weak.

If we are to believe that all future versions of WiFi - for example, WiFi7 - would both increase in signal strength, power, distance, speed, etc - then I'm all for this, otherwise it's the same problem we have now with a different name. With the way the 802.11 protocol has worked so far, this hasn't proven true, there are often revisions that focus more on speed or power, but rarely both.

18. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Which system are you going with? My Airport devices are cable connected (I have 4 around the house) and 2 of them are used for the ethernet ports on the back for devices that are not WiFi. One has a 5 port switch connected. I'm not sure how I would go about using mesh with my current use needs.

19. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Ehh don't think anyone needs to jump ahead to get this Wi-Fi since most devices still getting into 802.11ac wireless cards if only Apple Airport still got support, sigh.

20. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

Bah, you guys are all just jealous of my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator. Admit it.

21. supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

You’re being too generous using “written” and Abrams in the same sentence.

22. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

I'm not entirely sure how this makes that much difference. Yes, it's easier to say Wi-Fi 6 rather than 802.11ax but it doesn't really help the user to understand the differences. It's the same problem with an easier name.

And it will be train wreck whilst this naming convention is switched....we'll still have old and new, imagine this for users, they'll be as confused as hell!

23. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I will remember this day and look back upon it fondly for the rest of my life.

A DAY, THAT WILL LIVE, IN INFAMY!

24. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Having two different names and naming conventions for the exact same standards is somehow less confusing? To me it only seems more confusing.