Wi-Fi network no longer required for AirPlay!

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/peer-to-peer-airplay/

One of the many under the radar upgrades to the software is peer-to-peer AirPlay support -- you can now share content to an AirPlay-capable device as long as you can make a direct connection.
This is awesome! No more need for a Wi-Fi network to share stuff!

Now, if only we could get a Chromecast-like Apple TV...

This is also great for business presenters.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I tried it out and it wasn't working yet. I'm guessing an Apple TV update will come out to enable it.

Comment

slatfats

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Resurrecting an old thread... Has anyone tried this out with the new AppleTV beta?

Comment

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
This is great because in school someone wanted to show a video to contribute to a class discussion, but it was a pain because it was on YouTube and that site was blocked. I offered to help but had to awkwardly sit there as I buffered the persons video with LTE, then stealthily switched to WiFi to stream the video.

Comment

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Airplay has been very spotty on wifi on iOS8, so I wouldn't expect non wifi to work well yet. It's probably going to be a process. But we'll see.

Comment

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Would this make playing games a smoother, less-lag experience via airplay mirroring?

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/peer-to-peer-airplay/

This is awesome! No more need for a Wi-Fi network to share stuff!

Now, if only we could get a Chromecast-like Apple TV...

This is also great for business presenters.
This will be excellent for me. I regularly travel, and it'd be so nice to be able to airplay to my apple tv in my hotel. It's virtually impossible getting an apple tv on a hotel wifi since they often force you to go through a web interface to join it.

Comment

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Airplay has been very spotty on wifi on iOS8, so I wouldn't expect non wifi to work well yet. It's probably going to be a process. But we'll see.
It could simply be linking via bluetooth, but I am not very enthusiastic.

Airserver for Mac already allows me to connect my iOS device to my macbook via bluetooth. However, my experience is that this is extremely laggy. A simply presentation slide can take several seconds to refresh, and the screen tearing / pixelating is very obvious. I think you can forget about streaming video, unless ios8 somehow vastly improves the compression algorithm used for airplay mirroring.

If you want a stable connection, there is no beating a dedicated router. This is something handy in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on it if you use it on a regular basis like me (teacher using iPad and airserver in the classroom).

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It could simply be linking via bluetooth, but I am not very enthusiastic.

Airserver for Mac already allows me to connect my iOS device to my macbook via bluetooth. However, my experience is that this is extremely laggy. A simply presentation slide can take several seconds to refresh, and the screen tearing / pixelating is very obvious. I think you can forget about streaming video, unless ios8 somehow vastly improves the compression algorithm used for airplay mirroring.

If you want a stable connection, there is no beating a dedicated router. This is something handy in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on it if you use it on a regular basis like me (teacher using iPad and airserver in the classroom).
Presumably it's using Handoff to initiate the connection, so it uses Bluetooth for discovery, then switches to point-to-point WiFi for the actual data transfer. (Bluetooth is nowhere near fast enough for video.)

Comment

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I hope this works with Yosemite!

Yeah.. they should allow it like on a Mac.
You can already to peer-to-peer/ad-hoc wi-fi networks in OS X.

Just set one up and connect whatever device to your Mac.

----------

Presumably it's using Handoff to initiate the connection, so it uses Bluetooth for discovery, then switches to point-to-point WiFi for the actual data transfer. (Bluetooth is nowhere near fast enough for video.)
I was thinking this too, perhaps the same way we can set-up an Apple TV now by simply tapping the iPhone to the Apple TV, using iBeacon proximity as the technology behind it. If you have never done it, you just tap the Apple TV and it sets up your wifi networking, Apple credentials and other data.

Tap the Apple TV or whatever device and they will then stream.

Comment

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
You can already to peer-to-peer/ad-hoc wi-fi networks in OS X.

Just set one up and connect whatever device to your Mac.

----------

I was thinking this too, perhaps the same way we can set-up an Apple TV now by simply tapping the iPhone to the Apple TV, using iBeacon proximity as the technology behind it. If you have never done it, you just tap the Apple TV and it sets up your wifi networking, Apple credentials and other data.

Tap the Apple TV or whatever device and they will then stream.

You can already setup the ATV via using iphone or ipad. In the setup on ATV turn on bluetooth on iDevice and lay it on top the ATV

Comment

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I take it to mean I can then store movies on an iPhone and stream from my iPad? THAT would be extraordinarily useful, to be honest.

Comment

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I take it to mean I can then store movies on an iPhone and stream from my iPad? THAT would be extraordinarily useful, to be honest.
I don't think airplay works that way. Would be cool if there was some sort of reverse-airplay where I can stream connect from my Mac to my iOS device (though yes, I know that the air video app already exists). :p

Comment

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I don't think airplay works that way. Would be cool if there was some sort of reverse-airplay where I can stream connect from my Mac to my iOS device (though yes, I know that the air video app already exists). :p
If everything was running a standard old Linux distro like Mandrake/Mandriva (are they even still around?) this was doable across devices like 10 years ago. Weird how things come and go with tech these days. "What's old is new again..."

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Has anyone tried playing with this feature at all? I tried a while back with an iPhone on iOS 8 beta and Apple TV with the beta (both wifi disconnected from local network), but Airplay didn't work at all.

Comment

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Has anyone tried playing with this feature at all? I tried a while back with an iPhone on iOS 8 beta and Apple TV with the beta (both wifi disconnected from local network), but Airplay didn't work at all.
My ipad worked great. No issues.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.