Wi-Fi network no longer required for AirPlay!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chrf097, Jun 3, 2014.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/peer-to-peer-airplay/

This is awesome! No more need for a Wi-Fi network to share stuff!

Now, if only we could get a Chromecast-like Apple TV...

This is also great for business presenters.

2. pulseTECHaddict macrumors newbie

This is great! Do you or anyone know if ios 8 allows you to airplay to multiple sources?

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

4. akishore macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried this out yet? Does it actually work?

5. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

I tried it out and it wasn't working yet. I'm guessing an Apple TV update will come out to enable it.

6. slatfats macrumors newbie

Resurrecting an old thread... Has anyone tried this out with the new AppleTV beta?

7. Zxxv Suspended

surely you mean only the new apple tv will support it ;)

8. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

This is great because in school someone wanted to show a video to contribute to a class discussion, but it was a pain because it was on YouTube and that site was blocked. I offered to help but had to awkwardly sit there as I buffered the persons video with LTE, then stealthily switched to WiFi to stream the video.

9. Sonmi451 Suspended

Airplay has been very spotty on wifi on iOS8, so I wouldn't expect non wifi to work well yet. It's probably going to be a process. But we'll see.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah.. they should allow it like on a Mac.

11. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Would this make playing games a smoother, less-lag experience via airplay mirroring?

12. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

This will be excellent for me. I regularly travel, and it'd be so nice to be able to airplay to my apple tv in my hotel. It's virtually impossible getting an apple tv on a hotel wifi since they often force you to go through a web interface to join it.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It could simply be linking via bluetooth, but I am not very enthusiastic.

Airserver for Mac already allows me to connect my iOS device to my macbook via bluetooth. However, my experience is that this is extremely laggy. A simply presentation slide can take several seconds to refresh, and the screen tearing / pixelating is very obvious. I think you can forget about streaming video, unless ios8 somehow vastly improves the compression algorithm used for airplay mirroring.

If you want a stable connection, there is no beating a dedicated router. This is something handy in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on it if you use it on a regular basis like me (teacher using iPad and airserver in the classroom).

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I hope this works with Yosemite!

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Presumably it's using Handoff to initiate the connection, so it uses Bluetooth for discovery, then switches to point-to-point WiFi for the actual data transfer. (Bluetooth is nowhere near fast enough for video.)

16. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

You can already to peer-to-peer/ad-hoc wi-fi networks in OS X.

Just set one up and connect whatever device to your Mac.

----------

I was thinking this too, perhaps the same way we can set-up an Apple TV now by simply tapping the iPhone to the Apple TV, using iBeacon proximity as the technology behind it. If you have never done it, you just tap the Apple TV and it sets up your wifi networking, Apple credentials and other data.

Tap the Apple TV or whatever device and they will then stream.

17. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

You can already setup the ATV via using iphone or ipad. In the setup on ATV turn on bluetooth on iDevice and lay it on top the ATV

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

19. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I take it to mean I can then store movies on an iPhone and stream from my iPad? THAT would be extraordinarily useful, to be honest.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't think airplay works that way. Would be cool if there was some sort of reverse-airplay where I can stream connect from my Mac to my iOS device (though yes, I know that the air video app already exists). :p

21. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

If everything was running a standard old Linux distro like Mandrake/Mandriva (are they even still around?) this was doable across devices like 10 years ago. Weird how things come and go with tech these days. "What's old is new again..."

22. profets macrumors 68040

Has anyone tried playing with this feature at all? I tried a while back with an iPhone on iOS 8 beta and Apple TV with the beta (both wifi disconnected from local network), but Airplay didn't work at all.

23. BarryL macrumors 6502

My ipad worked great. No issues.

24. profets macrumors 68040

Thanks, good to know. Were neither of them (iPad and Apple TV) connected to wifi? Airplay (from control centre) had the Apple TV showing as available?

25. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I'm excited for it to work with my airport express and music