Wi-Fi Plan for iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Maxington, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

Is there any commercial services available for a all-the-time Wi-Fi solution for the iPod Touch?

A 20 - 30 data plan?

Curious as free wi-fi is not always available...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im guessing the answer is no, there might be wi-fi plan, but wont be that cheap.

Glad some people only use it as iPod, so they don't need to worry about this..

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

im almost 100% sure that this will NEVER happen on the touch....sorry:rolleyes:

4. caMi macrumors regular

Doesn't San Francisco have free WiFi. As in the entire city?

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

i think phildelphia does too.. by earthlink or something like that...thats awesome... but why free.....i mean., I know it is..but why?

6. caMi macrumors regular

Well I think google is behind it in San Fran... Why do they give us almost 3GB of free mail space?

I am sure there are some discrete ads used somewhere to support the cost ;)

Wishing my city had WiFi that is just sooooo cool!

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

T-Mobile HotSpots are $30.00/month.
    http://hotspot.t-mobile.com/services_plans.htm

That's probably not as "all-the-time" as you meant, but for what it's worth... :)

8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

ooooo. i thought when they were asking this question that they were talking about a service like the iphone via satellite internet or someting (away from a router) i never thought about the actual "hot spot" services...but they would still have to be in range of one...:cool:

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's a company in my area called AriaLink that offers WiFi services to largish areas. They have several versions/packages, for example they manage free WiFi services for businesses like coffee shops. They also do free WiFi services for entire downtown areas, usually paid for by the city or a chamber of commerce, or just an association of business, etc. They service apartment buildings in a plan where the property owners pay for a wired internet connection and then the residents get "free" WiFi service at home (as part of their rent). They're trying to get contracts with a few local high schools. They also have a few neighborhoods where they are offering residential paid for high speed internet via WiFi.

The get back to the point, anyone can use any of their "free" hot spots (coffee houses, downtown city districts, etc). Anyone who has a paid account (either WiFi or DSL) can get on any of their networks - so for example if you were a resident of an apartment building with their services, so you have a login ID you can get on any of their other apartment building or neighborhood wifi networks.

I don't live in a big city, or even near a particularly large one (Lansing, MI is close by and it's only a few hundred thousand people) and while I can't get a WiFi signal EVERYWHERE with them, I can use it in my small town downtown, East Lansing's downtown, plus a handful of neighborhoods and shops scattered around the general area. They also have service in other cities nearby (they service all of the Beaner's coffee shops, for example). Lots of it is free, and it's pretty cheap if you want access to everywhere they have signal.

Point being that WiFi is starting spread to a lot of areas, and while it'll likely never hit rural or even all suburban areas, it'll become fairly ubiquitous in the next couple years, I think. The Touch will certainly help drive that... I expect the Touch to become the single most popular/purchased WiFi enabled portable device (non-laptop) within the next year or so.

10. neetadivine macrumors newbie

why pay for hotspots if there are free hotspots...

Boingo has a plan for mobile $7.95 a month for unlimited. My point is, why pay for their services to find one of their hotspots if you can find a hotspot for free... its really no different than the free hotspots. Nine times out of ten the hotspots are one and the same locations as the free ones....

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Man, this conversation was from 2007. LOL

12. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There has been a lot of old thread reviving lately.. eugh, quit it please :(

13. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    If you live in a larger city you may be able to get a clear wire 4g hotspot. They make one specially for apple devices unlimited use and about $20./month. If you have a cell phone many carriers now have hot spot phones you would pay your cell carrier and then your hot spot is with you everywhere your phone works. Some carriers sell a hotspot only device and service as well.

All Starbucks are now free, as are most coffee shops. Some restaurants have free service as well. Panera Bread has free service. If you are in a city you should be able to find service fairly close to where you are.

If you do not want to go to the service, but would rather have service where ever you are like a car, park etc, then a hotspot is your best choice.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Clear stopped doing this several months ago. People were hacking them to make them work with any Wi-Fi device, essentially giving them the more expensive plan for cheap.

15. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

um, you might wanna think about changing your signature...didn't they just release firefox 5?

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife