Wi-fi syncing in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3bs, Sep 21, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Does itunes have to be open for the idevice to sync automatically (when plugged into a power source)? I'm guessing yes

2. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

3. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

And it doesn't have to be plugged into a power device ;)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For automatic syncing, yes it does. It can be manually set to sync when not plugged in via the Settings app.

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I know it doesn't but plugging it into a power source triggers automatic syncing. Or so that's what I read on apple.com

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Correct :D

7. shandyman Suspended

iTunes automatically loads up when a device that has wifi syncing available is detected on the network, which is handy :)

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I have a possibly dumb question about this.

For example, I'm syncing 1GB of data (a game) over the Wi-Fi sync, will I use 1GB of my broadband data pack?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, because the data stays within your local network, you don't get charged for it.

10. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Speaking of, there is some kind of MAJOR flaw right now. When you close iTunes is automatically opens a few minutes later because your computer detects it. This SUCKS.

11. shandyman Suspended

If you eject the device and then close iTunes it stays closed until device rejoins the network, or that's what it does on mine

12. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't do this.

Edit: But then again, I have it set to disable automatic syncing. Thats probably why.

13. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah the iTunes opening by itself thing got on my nerves at first, then I stopped fighting it and just let it happen.

14. shandyman Suspended

Mine is not set to auto sync when connected.

15. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

wouldn't that depend on your ISP? Also will wifi syncing allow use to use our phone when syncing? I hate start a sync only to receive a text which I can't answer until the sync is done.

16. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Does iTunes detect the iPhone the same way as it does for home sharing? If so.... Damn :(

17. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

If the game is already on your iPhone or in iTunes your just syncing locally between computer and phone you are not using Internet data bandwidth. In theory you don't even need your Internet to be connected to do this action just a wifi connection

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The data never goes out over your modem to your ISP. Thus, they never have anything to do with it. I believe WiFi sync, along with USB sync, no longer makes the iDevice unusable until sync completion.

19. shandyman Suspended

Correct :) very useful

20. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Thats a nice feature they've added

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

So then can someone please explain how this all works, the "iTunes starts when the iPhone is detected on the network", when you have 3 computers each with iTunes and 3 iPhones.

How does my computer/iTunes not start up when it detects my wife's iphone? And vice versa. Is there some setting in iTunes to select which iPhone to connect to?

22. Saberon macrumors 6502a

iceterminal, I believe that the computer you initially physically sync your iPhone to is the one that will be "locked" to WiFi Syncing.

When you first install iOS 5 you must physically connect iPhone to setup WiFi syncing. Say you connect your iPhone to computer A and enable WiFi Sync. Whenever iPhone comes into WiFi then computer A will fire up iTunes and Sync.

If your wife hooks up her iPhone to Computer A via cable and sets up WiFi Sync then her computer will always WiFi Sync with Computer A.

If your wife plugs in to Computer B and sets up WiFi sync her iPhone will no longer interact with Computer A anymore.

23. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I've never been able to use my iPhone 4 while it is syncing. Am I missing something?

24. shandyman Suspended

With iOS5 you can use it whilst syncing. That's what we are saying