iPad mini Wich ipad mini ships on iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LeandrodaFL, Aug 5, 2014.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Hello all, I decided to get a ipad mini, but I want it to be ios6. As far as I know, in the history of ipads mini, there are only 2 versions of it. One with Retina display, and one without.

My question is, If I buy an ipad mini without retina display, wich originally shipped with ios6, will I get ios6? Or will it come with ios7?

If newer ipadminis are shipping with ios7, is there a model number identifier that I can check to see with software it ships with? Currently, Im looking at model Apple iPad Mini MD528LL/A, and it is listed on amazon as ios6, but I decided to check in this forum before making a purchase.

Thanks for the help.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you buy it from the Apple store it is likely to have ios7 installed.

If you are looking to buy one with iOS6 then you will probably have to shop around like ebay or craigslist.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not the model number, it's the production date, which can be derived from the serial number. You'd have to find an original mini that was produced before iOS 7 was released, so one that was produced before October 2013, I'd think. At this point, it's extremely unlikely you'll find one that old in a store. So like the previous poster said, you'd likely have to go to eBay or Craig's list to find one still on iOS 6.

4. L T macrumors 6502

L T

It would have to be a black/slate mini. The space grey ones came out with iOS 7

5. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah im in the same situation. get either a black/slate model, or a 32/64gb model. problem solved :)

----------

because ios 7 is ugly and slower than ios 6 is why most want it over 7.

7. chupachup macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPad mini 1. Came with iOS 7.

8. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Can you please give an example of a serial number? How do I find it? Right now, this is my current best bet for a ios6 ipad mini:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746W3HG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11LD24OPQBDML

----------

9. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

what color and capacity was it? 16gb space grey, or white come with 7. black/slate and all 32/64/128gb models have ios 6.

----------

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Space Grey of course comes with iOS 7 because it's a Retina iPad Mini. Both the original and Retina iPad Mini come in white/silver, so that doesn't help.

If it's the Retina, it will have iOS 7. If it's a non-Retina iPad Mini, it's really a toss up, although at this point I would think most in-stock would now be loaded with iOS 7.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The serial number is printed on the box. So if you are ordering from Amazon, this idea wouldn't work, because you can't check the box before you buy. :(

12. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

if it is a retina it will have ios 7 regardless of color. 1st gen 16 gb white/silver or space gray come with IOS 7. black/slate any gb comes with ios 6. it's really not that complicated...

----------

you do realize that the op is talking about the original mini, right?

13. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

14. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yes. all black/slate have ios 6, because the color was changed when ios 7 and the space grey 5s was released.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, I know what I am talking about. I was clarifying your post, which, if taken literally, is saying that "16gb space grey, or white come with 7. black/slate and all 32/64/128gb models have ios 6.

What you are saying here is that if it's white, it definitely comes with iOS 7, which is not true, as both versions of the iPad were released in white. There is a white iPad Mini non-retina, which could have iOS 6.

Also, just because it's the black/slate iPad Mini non-retina does not guarantee that it will come with iOS 6. Many of those were updated to iOS 7 firmware after the release of iOS 7.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

hes bying a BRAND NEW iPad mini FIRST GENERATION! a little clearer now? by now all the white ones with ios 6 have been bought, and ipads dont update themselves in their boxes before even being opened...

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Lets break it down this way:

Retina Display models (introduced Oct 2013), came with iOS 7.
    If you have a Space Gray non-Retina iPad mini, it came with iOS 7.
    If you have an iPad mini 1st Gen that was made after Sep/Oct 2013, it came with iOS 7.
    If you have a 32GB or 64GB White or Slate iPad mini 1st Gen, it came with iOS 6.
    If you have a slate colored iPad mini 1st Gen, it came with iOS 6.

Also, just thought I would point out there was no 128GB 1st Gen iPad mini. The mini line didn't receive the 128GB capacity bump until the Retina model came out.

18. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Im gonna pray my 16GB Black/slate is ios6. Neverthelless, if not, I will return and trade for a 32GB

Again, can you give me an example of a serial number and date? I may be able to check some local stores with old stock, but I dunno what Im loooking for.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you go to a store and look at an iPad in a box, there is a label somewhere on the box, usually on tha back or a side, that has the serial number printed on it, and it's clearly marked "serial number."

Once you get a number, you go to this site and type it in.
    http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Here's an example of a serial number:
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/tablets/apple/ipad2,4/DSC_6395.jpg

20. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

thanks for putting it into better words lol, and yeah now that i think abut it that may have caused the confusion.

21. chupachup, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

----------

[/COLOR]
    Yea, the official apple reseller doesn't have any 32-64gb models. So if you get it at the official place, it'll be a 16GB iOS 7.

If I go to other stores where they sell iPads, I may find 32-64GB that have been sitting around god knows how long, and they come with iOS 6 I guess, as they came when they got the shipment.

But I bought the 16GB from the Apple reseller here.

22. aPple nErd, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014

aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

where are you located? because around here (and the US in general) usually has plenty of old stock at big box stores, and places like walmart and target.

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No problem just glad to help! I hope that info serves the OP well.

I saw one of the stores, I think Best Buy near LA had like 2 Brand New 32GB whites on clearance however this was months ago when I bought my Retina Mini.

You could also check Best Buy's Open Box site. They will tell you which stores have them and if you ask them they will allow you to test it before buying. Only reason I still buy from BB are sales and open box specials. Prime example: I got my Retina iPad mini 32GB (new not open) for $360 before tax!

Click here to see Best Buy's Open Box deals.

24. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

oh i know! they have great prices but are a terrible company. kinda like Walmart :p

25. SILen(e macrumors regular

I doubt that you'll be able to find a new iPad Mini with iOS 6.

That device would have to be more than eleven months old and I don't think that you can just walk into the next store and pick one from the bottom of a stack of boxes.

Remember that Apple is the company that's kinda famous for having a high inventory turnover rate.

You'll have better luck with trying to find one on eBay or Craigslist, but even there it will probably take a while.

Those who never updated their iPad Mini either don't want to use iOS 7 themselves, so they'll keep their iPad or they don't know about updates, which means they either won't sell their device (even if it were slow, those people don't care) or they won't know that they should write that the iPad is still running iOS 6 on eBay.