Wich SSD for Alu MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matpop, Apr 19, 2009.

1. matpop macrumors newbie

I'm planning to upgrade the macbook 2.4 with a SSD drive, I'm looking for a 256Gb Samsung, I know Intel is better but I need more space than 160Gb :(

I'm doing fine or there are better options than the Samsung?

THX

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The Titan from G.Skill is well received. (it uses samsung chips, and I don't know if you mean samsung as specifically samsung branded or just a drive that uses samsung parts)

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

OCZ Vertex! Great drive, great support. Love mine.

See this thread for comparisons of the Vertex with G.Skill and Intel.

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have a Intel ssd and love it. I also have my iTunes 200gb folder on a external drive. Whatever you pick I am sure you will love it. It is the single biggest upgrade that I have ever seen. All my apps open in a second and OS X boots in 15-20 seconds. Never see the spinning ball anymore!;)

5. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I think i'll need to pick one up!

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did someone say spinning ball is gone - gone?????

*raids bank account*

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have a similar experience. Except since the Vertex is half the price of the Intel, I got the 250 GB model so I don't have to offload anything on to external drives.

Boot time is very fast (~18 seconds), and i also NEVER see the spinning beach ball.

SSD is a terrific upgrade. Once they come down in price they are going to get bought up like crazy.

8. magamo macrumors 6502

SSD's make your MacBook incredibly responsive, but I think the silence is as awesome as its speed. Actually I was a little worried and wondered if mine was working properly because it didn't make any noise.

I'm pretty sure in 10 years someone will start a thread and say, "I bought an old MB off of eBay and it keeps making a weird noise!" and others will respond, "Back in the good old days, sonny, laptops used to make a mechanical sound."

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

From what I'm seeing, the titan is about 215 dollars cheaper than the vertex, 550 vs. 750. They are almost the exact same size, but the vertex is a bit faster. I would go with the Titan. The return isn't worth the increase in price IMO.

10. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

My choice would probably be the OCZ Vertex. Have a look at THIS thread that I made though. Contains tons of info on many different SSDs.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You get what you pay for :)

Does the G. Skill have an upgradable firmware? (Like the Vertex and Intel?)

I've owned a Vertex for three weeks and there's already been two firmware upgrades. They are a great company (OCZ).